Players who's careers were defined by a single play?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
Dallas QB, Clint Longleys' - relief appearance against I don't know whom, in the late 70s.

I think he relived Danny White? That was Thanksgiving Day.
Robyn Ventura for charging the mound and getting beat down by a 100 year old Nolan Ryan.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
That ruled. They needed it. The timing of the whole thing was almost as good as the dunk itself.

And they still lost that game, and the series. I hate to even remember those two series against the Rockets.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
And they still lost that game, and the series. I hate to even remember those two series against the Rockets.

They were both just brutal.
Eventually they'll win one and we'll be glad that they got their hearts ripped out before. Playing the Bulls without the Minute Man was tough also. Could have made a difference.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't notice it mentioned but Kirk Gibsons HR in the World Series.

Jose Canseco - ball bounces off his head over the fence

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
They were both just brutal.
Eventually they'll win one and we'll be glad that they got their hearts ripped out before. Playing the Bulls without the Minute Man was tough also. Could have made a difference.

In my mind, out of the six Bulls titles, we were the team that should've won the series.

And, you could certainly say the same thing about the Cards. Will any other NFL fan find a championship sweeter? I don't think so.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
In my mind, out of the six Bulls titles, we were the team that should've won the series.

And, you could certainly say the same thing about the Cards. Will any other NFL fan find a championship sweeter? I don't think so.

Maybe Lions fans. They have had a huge dry spell since their last title was 1957 I believe so they are chomping at the bit.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
The second Houston series was the worst, because we completely owned them the first two games. I still remember how AC Green was completely dominating them on the boards. I remember thinking the only way they could stop Green from banging them around in the key was if the Rockets suddenly signed a female power fwd to a 10 day contract.

I remember being up 2-0 and thinking there was no way we could lose the series. "oh brother" was I wrong.

That KJ dunk is the best dunk of all time if you ask me.

Oh and we would have won game 7 in 93 if only we would have stopped that coast to coast layup by MJ in the final minute. That is the play that lost that game for us, not the Paxon shot if you ask me.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Pirates Bill Mazeroski's 7th game walk off home run that beat the Yankees in the 1960 World Series.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this was mentioned before but

Gonzo's game winner in the 2001 World Series

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
I think that was Leon Lett? As in: "Lett" the ball go! Don't touch it!

Or Don Bebe for catching him (who was also famous for landing on his head and nearly snapping his neck).

Tom Waddle (Bears) for getting knocked uncounsious everytime he caught the ball (and still hanging on). John Madden had him on his All-Madden team a couple years in a row because he had to use smelling salts when on the sidelines between series.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more (hope it hasn't been mentioned already--I haven't read the whole thread), John Cecil "too tough for the NFL."

Whatabadass.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
OK this may be too obscure, but...

how about "Big Jim Slade", former TE from the Kansas City Chiefs, for his appearance in Kentucky Fried Movie?

"vewy, vewy, intewesting..."

Love that movie!!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Did anyone mention Larry Centers leaping over the Cowboy defender that monday night game (I think it was Larry Brown). Awesome play, just awesome.

adam

ChiCard

Registered
Reaction score
O'Donahue's missed FG against the "skins in '84. I still think about it. And for White Sox fans everywhere, just mention the name Jerry Dubzinski in 1983.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve (?) Piscarcik -

"Key factor in what every Giant fan knows as "The Play."

At "kneel down" time in a crucial game deep in their own territory vs. the Eagles, Piscarcik instead tried to hand off the ball and botched it. Eagles scored a walk-off TD on the play. Giants lost, and I believe it finished their season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05