Pope may be draft surprise

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Tight end owns all the right tools

Tim Tyers
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 8, 2006 12:00 AM

Cardinals third-round draft Leonard Pope pretty much got lost amid the hoopla surrounding top pick Matt Leinart and second pick Deuce Lutui and their Southern California connection on draft day, but he could end up making the biggest contribution this year.

In fact, there are some who think the 6-foot-8, 265-pound tight end that left Georgia after his junior season could be one of those famed "steals of the draft," as a blocker and receiver.

"We're really excited about him," tight ends coach Carl Hargrave said after Wednesday's organized team activity. "He's a student of the game and is picking things up well. He should be in the mix (for a starting job) by the time the season gets going.

"He can stretch the field. He has good speed and a good body. We'll see once we put the pads on about the blocking. He was known more as a receiver than a blocker in college, but blocking was one of the things I liked about him on film and evaluated him. He has that big body and can lock onto people, accelerate his feet and block."

Pope averaged 16.8 yards per reception at Georgia and 21 of his 33 receptions last season resulted in first downs - three for touchdowns.

Another who's impressed with Pope's athleticism is Leinart.

"He is definitely going to be a big part of this team," Leinart said. "He's a great target. You can pretty much throw it wherever you want, and he'll go get it."

Eric Edwards is considered the Cardinals' best blocking tight end, and Adam Bergen the better receiving tight end. Each started in nine games last year. The Cards plan to make more use of double tight end sets.

"They are throwing a lot at us right now, but I'm picking it up the best I can," Pope said. "I'm just going day by day. I think I'm making a good adjustment to the offense."

Good work
Kicker Neil Rackers said he would probably be working just as hard on his own at this time of year, but thinks the three-week official team activity is more effective.

"Definitely, this is better," Rackers said. "Having the team together and getting to know the new guys is all healthy, and just seeing the line and kicking behind it is all good."

Law interest
The Cardinals are one of several teams that have shown at least passing interest in free agent Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law, who at age 32 is coming off a career-best, 10-interception season and is reportedly asking for an $8 million-$10 million signing bonus and a long-term, very substantial contract.

"We've talked a little bit," coach Dennis Green said. "You're always looking to see if there are unique situations out there. Ty Law hasn't signed yet, and Rod Graves (vice president of football affairs) has talked with his agent. We don't know what is going to happen.

"They have shown some interest."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0608cardsnotes0608.html

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
T
The Cards plan to make more use of double tight end sets.
Interesting. I guess that means more single-back sets for James?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pope is going to be one heck of a target. Warner/Leinart will have a field day with our WR/TEs. Plus, with any semblence of blocking, James will do fairly well....

Things are shaping up real nice on paper....Can't wait to see it come together on the field.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
"He can stretch the field. He has good speed and a good body. We'll see once we put the pads on about the blocking. He was known more as a receiver than a blocker in college, but blocking was one of the things I liked about him on film and evaluated him. He has that big body and can lock onto people, accelerate his feet and block."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0608cardsnotes0608.html

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that Pope is a good blocker. This is great news. I think the Cardinals need more help blocking than they do receiving fromt their TE. Of course, throwing to Pope in the red zone will potentially be a tremendous asset.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I could not have DREAMED our draft could have turned out better....

I have thought the world of Leinart ever since he came back from injury against ASU his sophmore year and preceded to tear it up. My whole credibility among my friends is on the line with this guy because i have been jocking him for three years now and unbelievably, he went to MY TEAM (the universe is a wonderful thing some times)

After watching the NC game this year, the most impressive lineman on either team to me was Latui. After the game me and my cousin talked at length about how he was going to be an absolute stud in the NFL. I thought we could have used tackle depth more, but i am glad we didnt reach and took the BPA.

And while i was very high on Lewis, Davis and Fasano for obvious reasons, the more i find out about Pope, the more excited i get. For Leinart ot single him out with so many other good recievers on the team says a lot to me. If he can get some good NFL coaching and work on his route running and blocking, I have no doubt he could be a force. I will go as far as to say he is a solid sleeper for NFC Offensive ROY.

I CANNOT WAIT TILL NEXT SEASON!

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
Arizona's Finest said:
For Leinart ot single him out with so many other good recievers on the team says a lot to me.

To be fair, Leinart has had a lot more time on the field with Pope because of the rookie camps. Still, I'm really excited about Pope, especially because his height makes him such a large target. Combined with Fitz's leaping ability, Edge's knack for getting the tough yards, and Quan's tackle breaking runs, our red zone effectiveness should be much improved.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading this article and seeing Pope's college stats, I looked up Antonio Gates to see what he did at Kent. I was instantly reminded that Gates didnt play football at all in college. I dont think Pope will have the impact of Gates, esp with 81 and 11 catching close to 100 balls apiece, but Pope could be an awesome piece of our pie. ;)

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
abomb said:
After reading this article and seeing Pope's college stats, I looked up Antonio Gates to see what he did at Kent. I was instantly reminded that Gates didnt play football at all in college. I dont think Pope will have the impact of Gates, esp with 81 and 11 catching close to 100 balls apiece, but Pope could be an awesome piece of our pie. ;)

And Denny is big on pie.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that Pope is a good blocker...Of course, throwing to Pope in the red zone will potentially be a tremendous asset.
From what I've seen, he isn't a good blocker, but that doesn't mean he can't be coached-up to become one. He certainly has the size. Hopefully he'll have the desire.

In Combine drills, it was obvious that Pope wasn't bending his knees to get low enough to get much leverage on his blocks. DG alluded to this a month or so ago, suggesting that this was something they'd be working on.

What impressed (and really excited) me was the way Pope would snatch the ball out of the air (away from his body) effortlessly.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
I think being able to throw to a TE like Pope in the Red Zone, we'll see more wins with our #8 ranking offense. It will make their defenses more honest and give a little more room for our backs. This year is going to be more fun.

:koolaid:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just love the fact that the Cardinals chose a Pope in the draft :biglaugh:

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

"Pope averaged 16.8 yards per reception at Georgia and 21 of his 33 receptions last season resulted in first downs"

wow.
________

Last edited:

WhoDeyForever

Who-Dey?
Reaction score
You guys are really lucky to have Leonard. I really wanted the Bengals to draft him but we didnt even end up drafting a TE:bang: Pope will have a huge career and good luck to him in Arizona

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with Twist 18. Rowen is the key to turning Pope potential into Pope production. The coach's track record makes our hopes more reasonable.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:
I really wanted the Bengals to draft him but we didnt even end up drafting a TE:bang:

Guess there were no TE's with a long enough rap sheet for the Bengals liking. :shrug:

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I have complained for years that the one thing the Cardinals have overlooked is a way to convert on a high pct in the red zone. Pope opens up things alot for the 2 smaller WR. and with Edge man this only gets better.

Scenario I wonder if edge is thinkin if Matt ever goes for the qb dive im pushing him in the endzone ala Reggie bush....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pope is a Cardinal!

I love this guy...he's a monster. Our Red Zone offense (a huge problem last year) is infinitely better with Edge and Pope in the mix.

I have never been as high on a team as I am right now...we've got some amazing talent.

All the Denny detractors must admit that since he came on board, the talent level of the team has increased exponentially. Gameday coaching may be suspect, but for once, we have boatloads of talent. Denny will be here for a while I think. On paper, this is the most talented Cardinal team I've seen assembled. New stadium, new players, new unis, new attitude, everything is coming together. New team and playoffs are on the horizon.

Remember in 2002 our WR core? OMG. Horrid.

Receiving Rec Yds Avg TD
Freddie Jones 44 358 8.1 1
Marcel Shipp 38 413 10.9 3
Frank Sanders 34 400 11.8 2
David Boston 32 512 16.0 1
Jason McAddley 25 362 14.5 1
MarTay Jenkins 21 250 11.9 1
Thomas Jones 20 113 5.7 0
Steve Bush 19 121 6.4 1
Kevin Kasper 15 180 12.0 3
Joel Makovicka 15 81 5.4 3
Nate Poole 13 108 8.3 1

And now here we are with two of the best WRs in the game, a good starting QB backed by a QBOF in Leinart, Edge at RB, a potential monster in Pope.

We were top ten offense and top ten defense last year, and lost games due to brain malfunctions more often than not.

I'm drinking Green Koolaid (the cool kind that has Green powder, but turns Red when you mix it) and on the verge of overdosing.

58 days yet to go??

:koolaid: