Porter signs with the Fins

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
You wonder though, just why did Pittsburg waive him? I would'nt think it would be for a $1 million roster bonus. And, why wasn't Whiz interested?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You wonder though, just why did Pittsburg waive him? I would'nt think it would be for a $1 million roster bonus. And, why wasn't Whiz interested?

30 years old and wanted his last big deal, I would imagine. The Dolphins keep getting older.

BTW, the Dolphins still can't score.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
ugh this is stupid, cardinals should have signed him

I would have loved to have had Porter on this team --

but keep in mind -- a team cant force players to come for a visit (hence the "free" in free agency)

Porter picked a handful of teams he was interested in and that was that

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
30 years old and wanted his last big deal, I would imagine. The Dolphins keep getting older.

BTW, the Dolphins still can't score.

Why is it that it seems like teams that can't score go out and get more defensive players and teams that are doing well on offense go out and get more offensive players?

OP
OP
Gambit

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Is anyone troubled by the fact that he knows Whiz and still didn't even visit?

Adding fuel to the speculation that Porter has taken HGH/roids and will be suspended next season, and Wiz knows! /dramatic chords and reckless rumor-mongering

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Would have comnmanded too much for what the return was. Doesn';t fit 4-3 well. Winding down. By yr. three he'll be on the bench.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
We have two promising young LBs in Dansby and Hayes.

Rather than spend big bucks on an aging guy like Porter looking for his final big payday, I'd rather draft someone in the first three rounds and spend the money on extending Dansby and signing a veteran CB.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding fuel to the speculation that Porter has taken HGH/roids and will be suspended next season, and Wiz knows! /dramatic chords and reckless rumor-mongering

Ouch. Good point...and he got $12m up front signing bonus.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Not a bit. KW knows why and we don't. That is certainly good enough for me. By the way if I were Miami, the first question I would put to him is why didn't KW ask you in? I would be troubled if I were them!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Whis said earlier, that in his estimation, He had hit a wall last year.

Euphemism for his abilities were on a decline. So why invite him in.

Further; he a a 3-4 LB going to a 3-4 team. The cards are not, and it's not a simple transition from one way of playing and the responsibilities, to another.

Last edited:

BigOX

Reaction score
We have two promising young LBs in Dansby and Hayes.

Rather than spend big bucks on an aging guy like Porter looking for his final big payday, I'd rather draft someone in the first three rounds and spend the money on extending Dansby and signing a veteran CB.

Bingo. Porter is good but he is in love with the 3-4. I'd much rather lock-up the young guys we already have here.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
For 32 million a 3-4 OLB who's strengths don't match the 4-3 and can't be as effective with his hand on the ground and got 20 million in guaranteed money? WAY too risky. Fill the belly of the team, draft your superstars.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Porter to get $20M guaranteed in deal with Dolphins

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Dolphins didn't want to wait for Joey Porter to make a five- to six-team tour of prospective new teams.
Two-Way Threat
You must be registered for see images
[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]Since sacks became an official NFL stat in the 1982 season, only two players have recorded 60 sacks and 10 interceptions: Joey Porter and Clay Matthews.
Porter Matthews Yrs in NFL '99-present '78-96 Sacks 60.0 69.5 INT 10 16
While Porter, the former Steelers outside linebacker, was spending Monday trying to map out his trips to selected NFL cities, the Dolphins came in with an offer he couldn't refuse. Porter agreed to a five-year, $32 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees.
The Steelers released him a week ago because they didn't have plans to sign him after his contract ran out in 2007. With several key starters entering the final year of their contract, the Steelers had to be selective and Porter became a salary cap casualty.
The minute he became a free agent, his phone was ringing. Porter had enough offers to visit most of the teams that run a 3-4 defense and few, including Cincinnati, that run a 4-3. He chose to play for Dom Capers' 3-4 unit in Miami.
Porter wanted to take the weekend to settle himself and find a new spot. On Monday, he started to put together a plan of trips. Then the Dolphins entered the picture and worked out a contract. Knowing he was one of the top defensive players available, Porter accepted a deal from the Dolphins before making other visits.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Cow. Now I have to listen to my Dolphin loving brother about how they got Porter. Sheesh. Good signing for the Dolphins but there was no way the Cards were going to pony up that kind of cash.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Cow. Now I have to listen to my Dolphin loving brother about how they got Porter. Sheesh. Good signing for the Dolphins but there was no way the Cards were going to pony up that kind of cash.

Agreed. I wouldn't have spent more than 8.