possibility better????

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
lets say in the offseason we can steal Hutchison away from (seattle?).. with this line : Big, Hutchinson, Leckey, (Wakefield/Steph), Ross... will they be better with this year os expeince together?

It seems like every year we redo the OL and then dont get full time to gel.. some of the best OL have been together for a few years to gel together. I think they will be better (above average )..

thoughts?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I also don't like Ross at RT. He had couple of decent games but otherwise was just bad.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
az1965 said:
I also don't like Ross at RT. He had couple of decent games but otherwise was just bad.

Agreed. If there is one spot on the O-Line that needs fixing, it is RT. FA or draft, either will do. Ideally, Ross should start the season as a backup.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think adding a great player like Hutch will go a long ways in solidifying the line. I could live with that line going into next season. Sure, I'd like to upgrade Ross too. But, not at the expense of getting a good DT or MLB.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I think adding a great player like Hutch will go a long ways in solidifying the line. I could live with that line going into next season. Sure, I'd like to upgrade Ross too. But, not at the expense of getting a good DT or MLB.
Yeah, I'd love replace 2-3 players on the OL but the reality is that just is not possible with Ross being signed last year to a big contract and so many holes elsewhere. So, I'll be happy if we can get Hutch. If Davis can cut down his penalties, he will be pretty solid. That was the major knock on him this season. And Brown should be little bit better going into next season with some experience under his belt and another training camp.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
jrjbritt said:
lets say in the offseason we can steal Hutchison away from (seattle?).. with this line : Big, Hutchinson, Leckey, (Wakefield/Steph), Ross... will they be better with this year os expeince together?

It seems like every year we redo the OL and then dont get full time to gel.. some of the best OL have been together for a few years to gel together. I think they will be better (above average )..

thoughts?
ADD Hutch and REMOVE Step and thast alone will improve this line alot.

Davis, Hutch, Lecky, (Ross/Brown), Wells

That would be a solid line to build on.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ross didn't impress much early on but since taking the time off for an injury he seems pretty good.

We need consistancy on this line. It's impossible to tell who's good or bad with constant change.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think wakefield should stay a starter for our team, hes getting better and better.

why do people spell it steph? its step on a vich

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Ross didn't impress much early on but since taking the time off for an injury he seems pretty good.

We need consistancy on this line. It's impossible to tell who's good or bad with constant change.
After the second injury, he seemed to do ok and looked like he was coming around but last couple of games he regressed. Skins game was a bad one for him... He is not a rookie. He is a high-priced free agent and is expected to perform at a higher level on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
BigRedRage said:
i think wakefield should stay a starter for our team, hes getting better and better.

why do people spell it steph? its step on a vich
Wakefield will be a solid backup and that's all.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
My ideal scenario would be to sign a quality starter like Hutch, Bentley or Backus AND draft a future OT in the 2nd.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. I believe lack of health and consistency has robbed any chance to truely evaluate the line.

To be honest, the best move we could make would be to throw a truck load of money at Alex Gibbs in Atlanta. We won't...but his coaching would by far be the best thing that could happen to our team including Hutchinson.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i would be absolutely shocked if hutch wasn't lined up between next to big walt again next year

i would also be shocked if he didn't have the rook chris spencer next to him at center as well helping form one of the leagues top lines, with the depth, age and contract lengths to potentially form the leagues best line for the next 3 years or so

the hawks have the cap room and the franchise tag ... the top 5 guards don't average out to that much ...... i can't see the hawks having hutch walk

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Wakefield will be a solid backup and that's all.
He'll be out of football by 2008. He's not an NFL calibre lineman. Great guy by all accounts, but he doesn't have the ability to play at this level, IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
the hawks have the cap room and the franchise tag ... the top 5 guards don't average out to that much ...... i can't see the hawks having hutch walk

There isnt a franchise tag for just gaurds. There is only a franchise tag for all OL. Which means hutch will be getting top 5 LT money if franchised. The tag for next year will be about 7.5 mill for all OL.

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
There isnt a franchise tag for just gaurds. There is only a franchise tag for all OL. Which means hutch will be getting top 5 LT money if franchised. The tag for next year will be about 7.5 mill for all OL.

That might impact on his availability.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
BACH said:
My ideal scenario would be to sign a quality starter like Hutch, Bentley or Backus AND draft a future OT in the 2nd.

This is similar to what I want. I would love to come away with 2 peices to build our line around.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
aha, it could ... but i still seriously doubt he'd leave ... i think it would take 3-4 million to keep him and the hawks have the cash

i think rocky bernard is gone and some team is going to be disapointed they paid him a whole lot of money

JJ has been a great acquisition, but i don't see the hawks breaking the bank on him next year

i think they will be able to keep their key guys though

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
Agreed. If there is one spot on the O-Line that needs fixing, it is RT. FA or draft, either will do. Ideally, Ross should start the season as a backup.

The Cards are not gonna get rid of Ross nor will they get another FA in the off season to take his place.

Best you can hope for is some rookie beating him out. Ross will be fine next year.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I would love to draft a RT in Rd. 2, possibly Blalock from Texas. The one thing that would be great for our O-Line is if Step never ever starts here again, he is terrible and brings our line down at which ever position he starts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Remember another alleged Pro Bowl-caliber OG that was pried away from Seattle and was supposed to be the missing link on the offensive line? His name was Pete Kendall. How'd that work out?

Throwing money at the offensive line isn't the solution. I don't know how long it's going to take people on this board to figure this out. Cripes.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:

I agree with both those points and often wonder if this offensive line, had it been healthy all year, might have been playing well by 13.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
To be honest, the best move we could make would be to throw a truck load of money at Alex Gibbs in Atlanta. We won't...but his coaching would by far be the best thing that could happen to our team including Hutchinson.
Exactly. A coach like Gibbs costs around $1 million per year? Hutchinson woulf cost three times that and would make about half the impact at best.

Like Kerouac said, every year we jump on the offensive line and every year we throw truckloads of money at free agent offensive linemen. Meanwhile, we perpetually trot out mediocrity at the QB and RB positions. I wouldn't mind adding a offensive lineman or two for the right price, but throwing a bunch of money at Steve Hutchingson isn't going to change the fact that Kurt Warner is an average QB at this stage of his career and Marcel Shipp/JJ Arrington are two of the most flawed RBs in football. And unfortunately, RB and QB are the two most important positions on the football field.