possibility better????

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Exactly. A coach like Gibbs costs around $1 million per year? Hutchinson woulf cost three times that and would make about half the impact at best.

Like Kerouac said, every year we jump on the offensive line and every year we throw truckloads of money at free agent offensive linemen. Meanwhile, we perpetually trot out mediocrity at the QB and RB positions. I wouldn't mind adding a offensive lineman or two for the right price, but throwing a bunch of money at Steve Hutchingson isn't going to change the fact that Kurt Warner is an average QB at this stage of his career and Marcel Shipp/JJ Arrington are two of the most flawed RBs in football. And unfortunately, RB and QB are the two most important positions on the football field.
You lost me there... a great OL can make an average QB and RB look like pro-bowlers, whereas you put a great QB or RB behind this line and we will all be cussing them for being bust... :shrug:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Remember another alleged Pro Bowl-caliber OG that was pried away from Seattle and was supposed to be the missing link on the offensive line? His name was Pete Kendall. How'd that work out?

You mean the pro bowl caliber OG that we signed and then proceeded to make him play Center instead.

And we didnt throws wads of cash at him. We have never thrown wads of cash to anyone except for our 1st rounders.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
You mean the pro bowl caliber OG that we signed and then proceeded to make him play Center instead.

And we didnt throws wads of cash at him. We have never thrown wads of cash to anyone except for our 1st rounders.

Hard to expect you to be a revisionist historian, Joe. Kendall played LG here for two or three seasons before being switched to center to allegedly extend his career. He stunk as an LG (never got Pro Bowl consideration, never helped lead to a 1000 yard rusher, never lead the offensive line to anything), and was mediocre as a Center. He never even completed 16 games wearing Cardinal red.

As I remember, Kendall had pretty good salaries and signing bonus here. I may be wrong about that, but he was welcomed as the missing piece. This was a while back, when OGs were being paid far less than they are today, of course.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
You lost me there... a great OL can make an average QB and RB look like pro-bowlers, whereas you put a great QB or RB behind this line and we will all be cussing them for being bust... :shrug:

Alex Gibbs makes average offensive linemen into pro bowlers. Have you seen the guys offensive line coaching resume?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Remember another alleged Pro Bowl-caliber OG that was pried away from Seattle and was supposed to be the missing link on the offensive line? His name was Pete Kendall. How'd that work out?

Throwing money at the offensive line isn't the solution. I don't know how long it's going to take people on this board to figure this out. Cripes.

Hutch is light years better than Kendall though. Pete was good, Hutch is considered the best guard in the NFC, and among the best in the whole NFL.

I do agree though the tendency to throw big money at guys like Ross has not worked for us. But to me Hutch is a no brainer, if he stays healthy he's probably going to the HOF some day.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Hard to expect you to be a revisionist historian, Joe. Kendall played LG here for two or three seasons before being switched to center to allegedly extend his career. He stunk as an LG (never got Pro Bowl consideration, never helped lead to a 1000 yard rusher, never lead the offensive line to anything), and was mediocre as a Center. He never even completed 16 games wearing Cardinal red.

As I remember, Kendall had pretty good salaries and signing bonus here. I may be wrong about that, but he was welcomed as the missing piece. This was a while back, when OGs were being paid far less than they are today, of course.

It was 2 season at LG. And talk about revisionist history. He did not suck at LG he was average but he sure as heck didnt suck, he was worse as an OC. And that is coming form the biggest non fan of Kendall out of everyone here. He only got somewhere around a 5 mill signing bonus. He was not a big money FA, not by a long shot. Berry wasnt a big money FA, Ross wasnt, Okeafer wasnt, ect, ect, ect.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I do agree though the tendency to throw big money at guys like Ross has not worked for us. But to me Hutch is a no brainer, if he stays healthy he's probably going to the HOF some day.

We didnt throw big money at Ross. We can cut him this offseason and come out even. Very low Signing bonus, which means low risk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We didnt throw big money at Ross. We can cut him this offseason and come out even. Very low Signing bonus, which means low risk

I guess I mean we threw starting RT free agency money at a guy who didn't deserve it. Right after he signed someone here started a thread about how after really looking it became apparent we signed the absolute worst OL the Steelers had. I chimed in then that I thought we massively overpaid for Ross he was basically a journeyman backup most of his career.

But yeah you're correct he wasn't big money compared to some signings other teams do. Just big money in that we overpaid IMHO.

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:

joeshmo,

This is very interesting and makes me want to think harder about Marcus McNeill with our 1st round pick. If Ross is not too expensive to keep around, let him fight for a starting job at RT or at RG. Sure would be an excellent depth player.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
You know, I've seen a couple people on this thread that want to put Wells in at tackle. I'm not sure about Wells.. After he got hurt I think our offensive line actually started to play better. To me it seems like he is just another weak link on the line.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
You know, I've seen a couple people on this thread that want to put Wells in at tackle. I'm not sure about Wells.. After he got hurt I think our offensive line actually started to play better. To me it seems like he is just another weak link on the line.

If you thought Wells was a weak link at G, it's only because you don't remember the games he started at tackle. He looks like a Pro Bowl G compared to his tackle play (admittedly very limited).

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Hey joeshmo, are you sure there is only 1 franchise tag for all OL? They have a tag for CB vs Safeties, not one for all DBs in general. Anyway to verifiy that?