Post Lions Overreaction Thread 2024

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kyler was awful. Playcalling was also awful.
I agree completely. You get a big turnover and call run, run, run, run, turnover on downs? Petzing has had stinkers in 2 out of 3 games thus far. All the preseason talk of him maybe being poached as a HC has proven way premature.

Stout

Reaction score
I guess maybe for an Overreaction thread this works.

However reality shows that the adjustments that were made at halftime by Rallis limited the Lions to Zero points in the second half and limited them to 135 yards of total offense:

3rd Qtr

Lions Punt (Total Drive of 22 yards)

Lions INT (Total Drive of -7 yards)

Lions Turnover on Downs (Total Drive 44 yards)

4th Qtr

Lions Punt (Total Drive of 19 yards)

Lions Punt (Total Drive of 2 yards)

Lions Punt (Total Drive 25 yards)

Lions Run out Clock (Total Drive 30 yards)
Yeah, and where'd our offense start after those punts? And what did our D do on a big 3rd and long?

Like I said, the defense is very limited. If you'd ask me before the game if I'd accept this from the D, I'd have bitten your hand off to take it. That said, they did not help the offense on a number of occasions. Of course, neither did the offense.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and where'd our offense start after those punts?

LOL. Now the Defense is responsible for what the Special Teams does? Come on!

If the Lions "marching" from their own 20 to their own 42 and punting is on the defense then I don't know what to say. I mean a 61 yard punt to the Cardinals 2 yard line should definitely be pinned on the Cardinals Defense! :rolleyes:

Stout

Reaction score
LOL. Now the Defense is responsible for what the Special Teams does? Come on!

If the Lions "marching" from their own 20 to their own 42 and punting is on the defense then I don't know what to say. I mean a 61 yard punt to the Cardinals 2 yard line should definitely be pinned on the Cardinals Defense! :rolleyes:
Yeah, you're minimizing. I can't count the number of times the Lions had a short field and easily pinned the Cards deep. But you're going to call it a special teams deficiency when the ball is coming down deep in the red zone and has to be fair caught? LOL, okay.

Like I said, not the biggest deal in the world and the D did more than enough and more than I thought they could, and the offense should have done a lot more. But the D absolutely did not help the offense out in field position.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He’s 29 going on 30… the fall off for RBs is real at this age. Especially for slow RBs like JC. Love the guy but it’s a reality
And hes still our best back. Just saw Taylor from the Colts break a long run for a TD. Conner doent have that anymore.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the D absolutely did not help the offense out in field position.

I see it a totally different way. The Offense and Special Teams did not help out the D with Field Position. Detroit never started a drive in the second half inside their own 20.

After that INT on the first drive in the 3rd quarter the Cardinals Offense had the ball 3 more times in that quarter and went 3 and out each time. They moved the ball a grand total of 15 yard in 3 possessions. That is not on the Defense. You don't win the field position battle if the Offense can't get a single first down in three possessions.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lions are a top two team in the NFC, so not surprised that the talent/cohesiveness gap showed up yesterday. I expect us to hang tough vs. the mid teams, beat the bad teams, and lose to good teams. Right in the squishy middle is about right where we belong.

Stout

Reaction score
I see it a totally different way. The Offense and Special Teams did not help out the D with Field Position. Detroit never started a drive in the second half inside their own 20.

After that INT on the first drive in the 3rd quarter the Cardinals Offense had the ball 3 more times in that quarter and went 3 and out each time. They moved the ball a grand total of 15 yard in 3 possessions. That is not on the Defense. You don't win the field position battle if the Offense can't get a single first down in three possessions.
When the D allows the opposition to drive to midfield-ish and drop a punt deep into the RZ, it is not the special teams's fault for netting back field position when they have to fair catch or let it bounce near the goal line. That is on the D. This is glaringly obvious and you are purposefully missing the point. Those were not on the special teams.

Reaction score
Not really. The Lions pounded us into paste, and by the time the D made stops, we were effed with field position. That said, they did get the INT to gift the offense and got screwed out of a pick 6, so they did more than can be expected of a bad unit.
I thought the D made great adjustments at halftime & didn't allow the Lions to score in the 2nd. Problem was we couldn't score either. :(

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The D was better but they had nearly 200 yards from the 2 RB's at 5 yards a pop. Goff was 18-23

AS they said during the game there were several points in the game where we felt like we had to go after it on offense because the defense was not getting it done.
As good as the d was in the second half, they were equally poor in the first half giving up 20 in a half. Also, if they needed to score on that final drive we certainly didn’t look like we could stop them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lions are a top two team in the NFC, so not surprised that the talent/cohesiveness gap showed up yesterday. I expect us to hang tough vs. the mid teams, beat the bad teams, and lose to good teams. Right in the squishy middle is about right where we belong.
yeah... that's where Ouchie and I shook out yesterday after the game.

Beat the bad teams, beat most of the mid teams and hopefully have 1 or 2 games where we really show what we can be next year and pull off an upset or two over the good teams. That's not the most exciting season in the world, but if they can do that, it'll be a good stepping stone to next year, assuming they actually decide to spend the money to make us a contender.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yeah... that's where Ouchie and I shook out yesterday after the game.

Beat the bad teams, beat most of the mid teams and hopefully have 1 or 2 games where we really show what we can be next year and pull off an upset or two over the good teams. That's not the most exciting season in the world, but if they can do that, it'll be a good stepping stone to next year, assuming they actually decide to spend the money to make us a contender.
So somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. :p

The good teams left on our schedule are (probably) SFO (x2), SEA (x2), GB, MIN. Can we get two of those?

Bad teams left on the schedule are probably WAS, MIA, CHI, NEP, CAR. Can we get four of those?

Mid teams are LAC, NYJ, and LARM. Can we win two of those?

Tough one. That's how you get to 9-7.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's still very early for this year's class, but Monti's draft picks aren't doing a whole lot outside of MHJ and Paris. I think replacing Wilson with Zay Jones will actually help the offense. Garrett Williams seems alright, but he hasn't really stood out. Stills had a good game today, but he didn't do anything the first two games.

For a GM who is so focused on drafting, this lack of production isn't super promising. Especially since Monti seems to have a penchant for drafting older players.
Don’t agree with this at all.
I’m not a Monti fan yet at all but Marv and Paris are already legit players. BJ and Darius are hurt. The CBs are playing. Wilson looks effective. His drafts have been fine.

Any production after round 2 is gravy. These college players aren’t walking on to NFL rosters and dominating early.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The good teams left on our schedule are (probably) SFO (x2), SEA (x2), GB, MIN. Can we get two of those?

Bad teams left on the schedule are probably WAS, MIA, CHI, NEP, CAR. Can we get four of those?

I wouldn’t put SEA in that tier yet. Yea, 3-0, beating teams they should beat, but those teams has a debuting Bo Nix, Jacoby Brissett & Skylar Thompson. By far the most favorable schedule to start the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put SEA in that tier yet. Yea, 3-0, beating teams they should beat, but those teams has a debuting Bo Nix, Jacoby Brissett & Skylar Thompson. By far the most favorable schedule to start the season.
3-0 is 3-0.

8th in offense, 4th in defense (2nd in scoring defense). Going into this week they're second in DVOA (5th/2nd).

Maybe they are actually mid or whatever, but if they're .500 the rest of the way they end up 10-7 and everyone's happy.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3-0 is 3-0.
I basically just said that dawg, lol.
8th in offense, 4th in defense (2nd in scoring defense). Going into this week they're second in DVOA (5th/2nd).
You’re a smart guy & I know you, so I do take it you’re accounting the competition they have played against.
Maybe they are actually mid or whatever, but if they're .500 the rest of the way they end up 10-7 and everyone's happy.
We’ll see. But yea, not bad for a new HC to start 3-0.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That all looks about right. If this team has made substantial progress from last year, 8-9 or 9-8 should be attainable looking at that.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Cards have lost to 2 legit Super Bowl contenders in games they could’ve easily won.
I’m not discouraged by this team at all. I think they’re over-performing right now but I thought they over performed all last year too.

That’s a sign of good coaching. Once they get more talented, we might have something.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Kyler needs to be better, but good grief -- can we have WRs make some difficult catches?

you see it all sunday long from across the league -- WRs helping their qb by making a tough catch.

I am looking at you MHJ. yes, your first TD vs the Rams was a toe tapping thing of beauty. But after that... the hands havent been good.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Kyler needs to be better, but good grief -- can we have WRs make some difficult catches?

you see it all sunday long from across the league -- WRs helping their qb by making a tough catch.

I am looking at you MHJ. yes, your first TD vs the Rams was a toe tapping thing of beauty. But after that... the hands havent been good.

M. Wilson made a very, very good and tough catch along the sideline late in Q4 yesterday. Had to go up and get it.

But other than that, yesterday it seemed like we were 0/10 on any type of contested catch or 50/50 ball.