Post Packers Overreaction Thread 2024

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
There’s no excuse for this kind of display. Gannon should be feeling the heat. 2nd year and you put this trash on the field?
Monte as well! Didn’t acquire sufficient talent.

No name Dline gets 0 pressure
Secondary is below average
No legit #1 receiver
Kyler Murray is inconsistent
Team as a whole is bipolar.
You never know who’s gonna show up!

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
i always wear cards gear on mondays after games - specially after losses but not tomorrow - my coworkers are going to trip out

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JC now has 3 games with less than 3.4 ypc (3.4, 3.1 and 1.9). Im going take a wild guess that you aren’t going to win a lot of games hanging your hat on a running game that lacks any explosiveness in 2024. Love the guys heart, physicality but he should simply be a commentary pieces and who you grind out time with a lead with

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expected a loss. I didn't expect the defense to do a 180 from last week, my god. The fumbles were absolutely horrible. And the penalties were absolutely unacceptable, especially Beachum moving early with NOBODY lined up against him.

And I fully expect a win on MNF. This team is so bipolar.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS someone said in the game thread we were terrible and we lost a ton of guys to injury.

Just brutal.

Also crazy that we have 2 rookies taken in the first 3 rounds that can't figure out what route to run or when they're going to get a handoff. I hope Marv is ok but he was awful today, running wrong route, drop right in his hands on the play he got hurt on.

and then all the penalties and turnovers

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
JC now has 3 games with less than 3.4 ypc (3.4, 3.1 and 1.9). Im going take a wild guess that you aren’t going to win a lot of games hanging your hat on a running game that lacks any explosiveness in 2024. Love the guys heart, physicality but he should simply be a commentary pieces and who you grind out time with a lead with

Except for PJJ, the offensive line is not playing as well as it did last year.

Straight up. Run blocking is just okay, pass blocking has been pretty bad.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Except for PJJ, the offensive line is not playing as well as it did last year.

Straight up. Run blocking is just okay, pass blocking has been pretty bad.
Agreed w that.. but again it’s 2024. To have a plodder as the center piece of your offense is laughable. He’s good the 2 things i said. There’s no threat of going to the house, you’re just hoping he wears the defense down.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS someone said in the game thread we were terrible and we lost a ton of guys to injury.

Just brutal.

Also crazy that we have 2 rookies taken in the first 3 rounds that can't figure out what route to run or when they're going to get a handoff. I hope Marv is ok but he was awful today, running wrong route, drop right in his hands on the play he got hurt on.

and then all the penalties and turnovers
Benson looked like he was trying to block.. I knew that was gonna be busted when Kyler had to keep talking to him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agred w that.. but again it’s 2024. To have a plodder as the center piece of your offense is laughable. He’s good the 2 things i said. There’s no threat of going to the house, you’re just hoping he wears the defense down.

I think part of the idea was go back to the year we drafted Beanie Wells, the goal was get him ready behind Hightower and then he takes over more work 2nd half of season. I suspect that was the original plan with Benson but we saw today he had the one really nice run but had a couple where he didn't hit the right hole and then the fumble where he didn't know what play we were running. Benson's just not far enough along yet to give Conner more breaks. I'm with the others saying we might want to activate Carter

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think part of the idea was go back to the year we drafted Beanie Wells, the goal was get him ready behind Hightower and then he takes over more work 2nd half of season. I suspect that was the original plan with Benson but we saw today he had the one really nice run but had a couple where he didn't hit the right hole and then the fumble where he didn't know what play we were running. Benson's just not far enough along yet to give Conner more breaks. I'm with the others saying we might want to activate Carter
Why not ditch this style of offense ? It doesn’t work. We have scored less than 24pts 4 of 6 games and less than 14 pts in 3 of 6 games. Browns have yet to crack 18 pts in a game.

Our struggles on offense have NOT been QB play, but rather the scheme of our offense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring him up to get reps until Benson figures it out

Yeah I'm a Benson fan, loved him in college, but that fumble play lost it for me for now. I think it's clear now why he's not playing more because he doesn't have the plays down yet so they don't trust him. Kyler was moving him several times during the game.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
i thought the offensive game plan was a overly conservative

again -- this weird game plan with no Kyler designed runs. There also HAS to be plays that look like read option but allow Kyler to throw the ball.

but while the offense wasnt good -- good grief this defense is bad.

Below average vs the run, terrible vs the pass. Its hard to watch QBs stand back there in a clean pocket with little pressure, especially little pressure from up the middle. The passer rating this defense gives up might be on track not just worst in the NFL, but historically bad.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Agreed w that.. but again it’s 2024. To have a plodder as the center piece of your offense is laughable. He’s good the 2 things i said. There’s no threat of going to the house, you’re just hoping he wears the defense down.

I see what you're saying. You have a point.

But our defense is so so bad.

Myths about TOP be dammed, we need to control the ball, and JC is the kind of back that can help an offense do that. Like you said, he can wear defenses down.

A bigger hole than RB, by far, is WR1.

I thought MHJ might come in in his rookie year and be something reasonably close to Fitz, something approaching Hopkins.

Has not happened.

We talked about real 1st class weapons around Murray. Right now it's McBride.

Conner is close but too hampered by the oline. MHJ not an NFL WR1 yet. Wilson and Dortch are okay, but not sure they start for 50% of other teams.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not ditch this style of offense ? It doesn’t work. We have scored less than 24pts 4 of 6 games and less than 14 pts in 3 of 6 games. Browns have yet to crack 18 pts in a game.

Our struggles on offense have NOT been QB play, but rather the scheme of our offense.

I don't think we have the WR's. The year I'm talking about we had Larry and Anquan and Breaston and even Jerheme Urban. Marv would be the 3rd Wr on that team.

The plan was play 2 and 3 TE sets, run the ball. Problem is when you fall behind it's hard to play that way.

Maybe I'm wrong but there are signs how frustrated the staff is. Last week Benson didn't play now we know why, they didn't trust him knowing Kyler would have to change lots of plays. Today 2 plays after MHJ and Kyler weren't on the same page on the route, we lined up for a run play and had Wilson and Weaver in there, no Marv, he wasn't hurt yet and he certainly wasn't tired, my guess is they had him on the sideline showing him film or something.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. You have a point.

But our defense is so so bad.

Myths about TOP be dammed, we need to control the ball, and JC is the kind of back that can help an offense do that. Like you said, he can wear defenses down.

A bigger hole than RB, by far, is WR1.

I thought MHJ might come in in his rookie year and be something reasonably close to Fitz, something approaching Hopkins.

Has not happened.

We talked about real 1st class weapons around Murray. Right now it's McBride.

Conner is close but too hampered by the oline. MHJ not an NFL WR1 yet. Wilson and Dortch are okay, but not sure they start for 50% of other teams.
I agree with all your takes here.. but in the offensive era of 2024 - who centers their offense are a 30 year old plodder? The fact is you’re not grinding out wins w 24 points or less in the board in this era. The rules aren’t structured in your favor that way nowadays.

Dortch and Wilson wouldn’t be starting for 90% of the teams in the NFL. Half the league has 1a and 1b WRs those guys are 4 and 5 WRs I have/had hopes of MW growth and it still may happen but today he isn’t a top 3 WR on any relevant team

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22