Poster needs help to get link on new post at Cards Official Site

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
There is a new post on the Card's Official Site about how Keim has Mike Disner reviewing and analyzing stats to keep us in control of the salary cap when selecting new player acquisitions. I find it very thoughtful. If anyone who is more computer savvy than me can post that link here, it would be very helpful to me. I believe it to be worth discussion. Thanks in advance for your help.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
From reading this article, the efficiency and the effectiveness of Steve Keim's actions during the first couple of days of free agency was already planned for, and that planning contributed to the swift action that brought us needed free agents while keeping the salary cap in check.

Apparently Keim has been interested in using stats to help manage the cap, and enlisted the help of Mike Disner to facilitate his quick march through the signings that he brought us early on in free agency. This data was used not only to help set contract negotiations, but to help determine where to go in the old roster to create cap space.

While I have been a fan of Steve Keim for a while now, I had no idea that he was already thinking of these things before he had a HC in place. I believe that how he utilized the current CBA in selecting his new acquisitions, (and the necessary deletions), might just be a revolutionary new development that could help keep the team on sound financial ground for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again Big Red Rage for posting the link for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a good read, I read it this morning. I like how the cap guy said he focuses on 2-3 years vs this year.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
Bringing in a guy like Disner who has worked for the NF as a cap expert thereL for the last 4 years is another interesting off season move. It doesn't get the same kind of attention as player or coaching changes, but I think he will make his presence felt in deciding who to sign and the way contracts are managed as this team moves forward.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you CardCzar Moneyball was my first thought too. But as ndhillst said, Disner looks 2-3 years down the road at what the cap impact will be. I think the days of the Cards suddenly running into a situation where they have to unload a bunch of critical people, (like they did with A-Dub and Rhodes this year), in order to make the cap workable may be coming to an end. I like that this FO and Coaching Staff seems willing to look at the smallest details in their efforts to become better than they were, or better than their competition. I believe this trait will pay off in huge dividends as we move on down the road. I believe we will become VERY competitive much sooner than most expected, maybe even after next off season.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can you say Money Ball.

I was thinking the same. But never actually watched that movie so I wasn't sure if I understood that concept completely

ETA: lol, watched it. I couldn't say if they were similar or not. The scope was very different. But WOW. It was an amazing movie

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“We may be under the cap right now, but it’s not because we want to spend less money. We are under the cap so we can make moves in the future to build in the future.”
Like reading this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05