Predict the top 10 of the NFL Draft

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Teams with players (or positions)........just speculation.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll play:

1. Houston: M. Lienhart, QB USC; Can't pass him up...unless they trade out, which is a possibility.
2. San Francisco: R. Bush, RB USC; Bush may start out as a roll player in the NFL before he plays himself into a full-time position, IMO, ala Westbrook. He'll compliment Barlow or Gore nicely.
3. Miami: Mario Williams, DE/OLB NC State; Say "hello" to Jason Taylor II.
4. New Orleans: AJ Hawk, LB the Ohio State; this one's tough because I don't see Haslett being there next season, but if he is, I think Hawk is his man.
5. Arizona: D. Fergeson, OT Virginia; duh. With Bush and Lienhart off the board, this is a no-brainer if he's here for us.
6. Minnesota: L. Maroney, RB Minnesota; Hometown boy makes good. I read that Minnesota loves him...but maybe they were talking about the school. I'm not so good with subtley. Seems like an odd pick with O. Smith in the mix, but maybe he's collateral damage from the Love Boat incedent while the Vikes try to clean up their image.
7. Baltimore: D. Williams, RB Memphis; Lewis is as good as gone after the season, IMO. He's a FA that's looking at the market outside of Baltimore and seems to have said as much.
8. NY Jets: R. Wright, DT Texas; the Jets have a number of holes (sound familiar?) so they're lucky to have one of the best players on the board be in a position of need.
9. Tennessee: M. Kiwanuka, DE Boston College; On one side they have KVB playing great. But, as much of a sack-master as he's been, he's not the speed-rushing DE that is in vogue in the NFL right now. Kiwanuka is, and will be a nice compliment to KVB.
10. Green Bay: Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA; The TE keeps becoming more and more important in the NFL. Green Bay gets their Bubba Franks for QB Rogers.

Looking at this order and the players at the top of the board, I'd be doubly pissed that we took Arrington if we had to pass on DeAngelo Williams this year. I hope he gets drafted before we pick to help with my mental health situation.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleveland should be in there somewhere.

On a side note, with one more off-season, I think Cleveland will be very good. In a couple of years when Frye has a few starts under his belt with Bryant, Edwards and Winslow to throw to that should be a potent offense and we all know what Romeo Crennel can do with a defense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Looking at this order and the players at the top of the board, I'd be doubly pissed that we took Arrington if we had to pass on DeAngelo Williams this year. I hope he gets drafted before we pick to help with my mental health situation.

completely agree. i'll be so bummed to watch d'angelo light it up for another team...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
completely agree. i'll be so bummed to watch d'angelo light it up for another team...

Well personally I still think we should pick him if he's there. You can never have too many good RB's the way they get hurt. Just because we picked JJ 2nd doesn't mean we can't pick another RB first this next draft. Sure it's hard when you need a QB and OL help and a DT but if Williams is there(or bush depending on how high we pick) we ought to consider taking them.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Well personally I still think we should pick him if he's there. You can never have too many good RB's the way they get hurt.

I would still take a proven NFL RB over a drafted one 10 times out of 10. There should be quite a few FA RB's this year...Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, and Ricky Williams via trade...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:

I would be more pissed if we passed on L. Maroney. Kid put up 5 YPC and 125 yards a carry against the best run D in the nation this past Saturday.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
TheCardFan said:
I would still take a proven NFL RB over a drafted one 10 times out of 10. There should be quite a few FA RB's this year...Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, and Ricky Williams via trade...

RB's don't change hands that often, either they are a stud like LT and thus never go anywhere or Shanahan craps one out to hijack someone with.

Marshal Faulk was about the last premier back to go anywhere in his prime that really helped out the team he went to a ton.

Most the time it's a drafted RB that makes the splash where he was drafted. Their careers are so short it's just the way it goes.

The best back we ever had was a drafted back, Otis Anderson.

The key is to have a good O line and not be a dork about who you draft.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I will play along as well.

Here is the order as of Today and with the notion that the Ravens will lose tonight.

1. Packers - RB - Bush - Najeh is a FA and Green is old and injury prone. Rodgers will need some weapons and Bush is it.

2. Texans - OT - Ferguson - Management in Houston has already stated they will pick up Carr's 8 mill. bonus. As of right now he is staying in Houston. So they try to protect him better.

3. Titans - QB - Lienart - McNiar is done and Volek isnt the answer, the bring in Lienart to learn for a year.

4. Saints - LB - AJ Hawk - They have been searching for a LBer leader for a long time.

5. Browns - DE - Mario Williams - Crennel needs D help and Mario has amazing athletic ability right up there with Peppers, he wont pass him up.

6. 49ers - LB - Chad Greenway - They run a 3-4 yet they dont have the LB's to run it. Greenway is almost as good as Hawk.

7. Cardinals - RB - L. Maroney - A speed RB who can actually run the ball.

8. Ravens - RB - Deangello Williams - Lewis is gone, so they reload.

9. Vikings - CB/FS - Jimmy Williams - Their safeties are horrid so they take the best DB in the draft who has spent time as a safety in the past.

10 - Jets - DE - M. Kiwanuka - Pass rushing replacement for Abraham.

The rest of our draft -
2nd round - DT
3rd round - OL
4th round - OL
5th round - OL
6th round - OL
7th round - OL

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I will play along as well.

Here is the order as of Today and with the notion that the Ravens will lose tonight.

1. Packers - RB - Bush - Najeh is a FA and Green is old and injury prone. Rodgers will need some weapons and Bush is it.

2. Texans - OT - Ferguson - Management in Houston has already stated they will pick up Carr's 8 mill. bonus. As of right now he is staying in Houston. So they try to protect him better.

3. Titans - QB - Lienart - McNiar is done and Volek isnt the answer, the bring in Lienart to learn for a year.

Unless he gets injured, there's no way Leinart goes third (or even second). I don't think the Pack would pick him though, so if the Pack is #1, they'll trade down to someone who wants Leinart.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
8. Ravens - RB - Deangello Williams - Lewis is gone, so they reload.

That's 2 taking Maroney over Williams what's the preference?

I admit he's in a better conference but he's got a great OL, he's averaging 5.4 YPC and his backup is averaging 6.9 YPC(100 carries 694 yards) last year he and Barber were both well over 1000 yards behind that OL. He sure looks talented but his situation is almost identical to Arrington's at Cal.

Then you look at DeAngelo and they lost last years QB, this years QB, this years backup, 4 starters off the OL from last year, he averages 1 more YPC than his backup so it's clearly him and not the OL. He's averaging 6.7 YPC seeing 8 and 9 man fronts, they have a converted WR playing QB now. The only knock on him is strength of schedule and that hasn't stopped LT in the NFL.

Just curious why all of a sudden everyone has maroney ahead of him, Minnesota is sort of the Denver of the Big 10 they have smaller quicker OL's and zone and cut block. I like Maroney by the way I just prefer Williams for some reason and am curious why others don't.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Personally, I like Williams better. A lot better. I just think Minn. would take Maroney. Might really help their image up there to take a hometown kid, JMHO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
there's no way Leinart goes third (or even second).

I love it when people say that there is NO WAY something will happen in the draft months away from it even happening.

Nothing is a certian with the draft. Especially for a QB who has shoulder or elbow issues, forget which one it is. And for a QB who doesnt have a strong arm, and being held on the backs of his RB's, he is most certianly not a lock to be drafted #1 or #2.

As for trading down its easier said then done. Does the Pack or Houston really want to trade down and miss out on the top prosects of Bush and Ferguson?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I love it when people say that there is NO WAY something will happen in the draft months away from it even happening.

Nothing is a certian with the draft. Especially for a QB who has shoulder or elbow issues, forget which one it is. And for a QB who doesnt have a strong arm, and being held on the backs of his RB's, he is most certianly not a lock to be drafted #1 or #2.

Both, he had shoulder surgery in 8th grade or 9th, and elbow surgery after last season.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Minnesota does have 2 new starting OT's both redshirt Sophmores so he to has lost 2 key starters from the his OL. Their interior are left overs from last year though.

It isnt a knock on Williams at all, but as for why I like Maroney more then Williams its really pretty simple. He passed my eye ball test better. Maroney was amazing against the the best run D in the nation last week. Plus he has more speed which fits into Greens system better. And Williams injury history scares me for the long haul. I will take either one in the top 10 but Maroney has the edge IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Minnesota does have 2 new starting OT's both redshirt Sophmores so he to has lost 2 key starters from the his OL. Their interior are left overs from last year though.

It isnt a knock on Williams at all, but as for why I like Maroney more then Williams its really pretty simple. He passed my eye ball test better. Maroney was amazing against the the best run D in the nation last week. Plus he has more speed which fits into Greens system better. And Williams injury history scares me for the long haul. I will take either one in the top 10 but Maroney has the edge IMO.

He looks inflated this year to me, maroney, not sure if its different pads or what he doesn't like like he bulked up lifting he just looks like someone inflated his jersey, maybe rib protection?

Seems to have less wiggle than Williams, he is very fast they say sub 4.4 which is faster than Williams. I would assume if Barber continues to excel it can only help Maroney.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He looks inflated this year to me, maroney, not sure if its different pads or what he doesn't like like he bulked up lifting he just looks like someone inflated his jersey, maybe rib protection?

He has new shoulder pads. They are a little bigger then his old one. He said in a interview he wanted to fight for more yards this year instead of trying to run around guys like he did last year, he still speaks to Barber and was told it would make him higher on scouts boards and make it easier to make the jump into a NFL training camp. He thought it would give him a little more protection and bulk.

But he is up about 5 lbs from last years playing weight, mostly in his legs though.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Packers- Matt Leinhart. Doh. Almost like what San Diego's got going on with Brees and Rivers, but no one offers to trade so their stuck.
Arizona (I have high hopes)- A.J. Hawk, Denny refuses to draft for the most need (Line, pick one O or D) but goes with "sorta need" and gets someone to try out at MLB.
49'ers- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, part of the rebuilding process
Texans- with Brick off the board they go to Chad Greenway for help with the 3-4

I'm bored and I'm wrong. Someone pick me apart!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
RB's don't change hands that often, either they are a stud like LT and thus never go anywhere or Shanahan craps one out to hijack someone with.

Marshal Faulk was about the last premier back to go anywhere in his prime that really helped out the team he went to a ton.

Most the time it's a drafted RB that makes the splash where he was drafted. Their careers are so short it's just the way it goes.

The best back we ever had was a drafted back, Otis Anderson.

The key is to have a good O line and not be a dork about who you draft.

And Otis Anderson made his big name with the NYG.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

As for trading down its easier said then done. Does the Pack or Houston really want to trade down and miss out on the top prosects of Bush and Ferguson?

From what I am reading the Texans will stick with David Carr unless he is killed. I think they take Reggie Bush. I see some people have the Cards picking out of the top 5. Who are the teams we are going to beat? The Texans even won the other day. If there is an NFL type QB when the Cards pick I think they go that way. The Cards could very easily pick in the top three.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
john h said:
I see some people have the Cards picking out of the top 5. Who are the teams we are going to beat?

Most people have them out of the top 5 becuase the actual draft order as of last nights game is (based on win loss and opponents win/loss %):

1. Green Bay
2. Houston
3. Tennessee
4. New Orleans
5. Cleveland
6. Minnesota
7. Baltimore
8. New York Jets
9. Arizona
10. San Francisco

Those are all teams with 2 or less wins by the way. And all ten of those teams are on the road to no where so projecting the Cards to have a 6-10 pick is done very easily. Who are those teams going to beat to get out of the top 5?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I admit he's in a better conference but he's got a great OL, he's averaging 5.4 YPC and his backup is averaging 6.9 YPC(100 carries 694 yards) last year he and Barber were both well over 1000 yards behind that OL. He sure looks talented but his situation is almost identical to Arrington's at Cal.

Then you look at DeAngelo and they lost last years QB, this years QB, this years backup, 4 starters off the OL from last year, he averages 1 more YPC than his backup so it's clearly him and not the OL. He's averaging 6.7 YPC seeing 8 and 9 man fronts, they have a converted WR playing QB now. The only knock on him is strength of schedule and that hasn't stopped LT in the NFL.

Just curious why all of a sudden everyone has maroney ahead of him, Minnesota is sort of the Denver of the Big 10 they have smaller quicker OL's and zone and cut block. I like Maroney by the way I just prefer Williams for some reason and am curious why others don't.

i love d'angelo. screw maroney.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd go with DeAngelo, even though Maroney is pretty exciting. I like Williams more because of what Russ mentioned, he is basically a one man team down there in Memphis (bad O-Line, banged up quarterback) and every team that plays Memphis knows he is the #1 priority and he still cranks out 200 + yards at a regular clip.

What I like about Williams is that he actually looks like a legit 215-220 lbs. and is not some guy who needs to put on 15 pounds during some pre-draft workout plan to get up to a good weight. Williams has tremendous strength in his lower body and earns his yards. He may not be a 4.3 guy who takes runs 90 yards, but he is a guy who will hit a hole extremely hard, is tough as nails, and has Emmitt Smith type vision which in my opinion is way more important than how fast the guy is.

I love Williams. His situation at Memphis reminds me of Stephen Jackson's situation at Oregon State. Jackson was forced to learn early how to be a NFL type back because he played on a team with an awful O-Line, and he had to learn to take what little hole he had and go for it instead of looking for the big play. Williams is a bit of a grinder and I think a guy who will jump right in a be productive at the pro level.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE that we're discussing drafting a RB in 2006. Hate it.

But, it's reality, sadly. :(

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I HATE that we're discussing drafting a RB in 2006. Hate it.

But, it's reality, sadly. :(

True, it's almost as sad as thread after thread about how bad our OL is when the coach singled it out as his priority when he took over 2 years ago.

It still amazes me that we made no effort last year to get LaMont Jordan or this year to get Alexander or James but I guess given the contract jordan signed we simply figured those RB's were going to cost more than we were willing to pay?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05