Predict the top 10 of the NFL Draft

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL DraftCountown had the Cardinals picking 11th and this is their write up. Note that this was done awhile ago.
IMO Denny is not going to draft a rb in the first round but go either OL or DT.

HALOTI NGATA DT |
There is no denying that Dennis Green finally has this franchise on the right track, but there is still plenty of work to be done and they could use help at a number of positions. The most glaring need is probably on the interior of the defensive line, where there is next to nothing alongside Darnell Dockett. Based on pure talent Ngata could easily be a Top 3-5 overall pick and he may ultimately end up in that elite category, but to this point he has not been able to show that ability on a consistent basis which is why he is still available this late in round one. Make no mistake about it though, this guy is a physical freak and his potential is through the roof. If he is able to put together the type of junior campaign he is capable of, don't be surprised if he is long gone by this point in the first round. The Cards could also stand to upgrade their linebacking corps (i.e. MLB and WLB) so if the right player fell to them it wouldn't be a shock to see them ultimately go in that direction either.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Most the time it's a drafted RB that makes the splash where he was drafted. Their careers are so short it's just the way it goes.

The best back we ever had was a drafted back, Otis Anderson.

The key is to have a good O line and not be a dork about who you draft.

How many RB's have we drafted in the last 26 years since OJ?

Just the thought makes me want to puke.

I will take a proven NFL RB 10 times out of 10.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I would be more pissed if we passed on L. Maroney. Kid put up 5 YPC and 125 yards a carry against the best run D in the nation this past Saturday.

Admittedly i have not seen much of Williams, but maroney is special. I think his size, speed, and running style (and of course the dreads) remind me of Stephen Jackson and i think Jackson is already one of the five best backs in the league. For me its Maroney if Bush is off the board when we pick....

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Admittedly i have not seen much of Williams, but maroney is special. I think his size, speed, and running style (and of course the dreads) remind me of Stephen Jackson and i think Jackson is already one of the five best backs in the league. For me its Maroney if Bush is off the board when we pick....

Yeah, I was on the fence until I saw him play last weekend. He showed me a lot in that game against the closet you can possible get to a real NFL run D. Not an actuall NFL Run D but the closet you can get in college.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Yeah, I was on the fence until I saw him play last weekend. He showed me a lot in that game against the closet you can possible get to a real NFL run D. Not an actuall NFL Run D but the closet you can get in college.

Jackson has made a believer out of me also. He really runs with authority.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Here's my mock draft. Rankings are based off those posted by Joe. I also do some tweeking.

1. Titans (from Packers)
Matt Leinart
QB
Southern California

-- McNair's mentioned that he's considering retirement for several years now. I see him walking away after this season, and although Billy Volek is definately servicable, he's not to be confused with a franchise QB. In this scenario, I see the Titans trading up (their first this year, and next year's first, along with a player or two-- Chris Brown?) for the pick. Leinart will automatically be walking in to a situation of familiarity, with his old Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow steering the Titan offense.

The Pack have Favre and drafted Rodgers as their QB of the future last season. They have too many other pressing needs on defense and possibly HB to take another QB, so I see them taking the best offer they can get.

2. D'Brickshaw Ferguson
OL
Virginia

-- Houston's offensive line is awful. I think they are arguably the NFL's worst. They are set at HB (Davis is one of the more underrated HB in the NFL) and QB (reports are Carr's option is going to be picked up) and Ferguson is the most polished Offensive Lineman to hit the draft since Pace. This is a no brainer.

3. Green Bay (from Tennessee)
Elvis Dumervil
DE
Louisville

-- Green Bay desperately needs all sorts of help on defense, and this pick will give them a pair of bookends (with KGB) that could be the most dominant in the NFL. The King Of Pop (Quarterback Pops that is) has been an underrated force prior to this season, but it's his to be record setting 2005 that will make him a top pick.

4. The Saints of New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge/Los Angeles/Anaheim and every other American City WITHOUT a football team
Ahmad Brooks
LB
Virginia

-- Although many Saint fans in Louisiana would prefer to draft a new owner, and the Saint players would prefer some kind of end to their lame duck city status, on the field they have pressing needs on the defensive end of the ball that CAN be covered through the draft. Brooks is like a wild animal on defense, all over the field, and hell on offensive lines. He is the type who is capable of opening up a defense and causing matchup troubles, making the surrounding cast around him better. For the Saints, he would be a much needed addition.

5. Cleveland
Reggie Bush
HB
USC

-- Last year, the Browns solidified their go to WR and QB of the future holes early. This year, they'll do the same with the HB position and will absolutely be THRILLED to see Bush, the star in the making, fall to them at 5.

6. Minnesota
Laurence Maroney
HB
Minnesota

-- In efforts to try to rescue their suddenly shallow reputation in the Twin Cities, Minnesota will certainly gather local interest by filling a position of need with a player who excelled at the local U.

7. Baltimore
Omar Jacobs
QB
Bowling Green

-- Anyone whose anyone knows the Ravens desperately need a QB. Although Marcus Vick may be the more touted Quarterback of the two, I doubt the Ravens go down the same route as they did with Boller, grabbing a QB based off the success of his final season in college. Jacobs, although perhaps not the BETTER pick, is the safer pick in a position of dire need.

8. New York Jets
Mathias Kiwanuka
DE
Boston College

-- Kiwanuka could have probably been a top 10 pick in LAST year's draft, and this year he's a more disruptive force than he was last season. Chances are, this is John Abraham's final season in the NYC, so the pick of Kiwanuka should at least help in offsetting the loss. I also would not be shocked to see the Jets perhaps go after a HB for the future and nab DeAngelo Williams, the outstanding HB out of Memphis.

9. Arizona
Marcus McNeil
OT
Auburn

-- Some feel McNeil is actually a BETTER prospect at the tackle position than Ferguson. The Cardinals, who have huge holes on their offensive line, would be more than wise to prove those folks right. At 6'9, 338 lbs, he's a pure monster and a pure blocker. Although many clamor to see the Cardinals go after a Quarterback or a Halfback, the McNeil at this point would be the best selection to make. He immediately makes the offensive line better, and teamed with former 1st Rounder Leonard Davis could have this unit opening up plenty of holes for JJ Arrington and Kurt Warner/Josh McCown/Random QB name here.

10. San Francisco
DeAngelo Williams
HB
Memphis

-- Talk about jumping for joy.. San Francisco, after drafting Alex Smith to be their QB of the immediate and long term future last season, get themselves a HB of the immediate and long term future to build around. Williams has had a tremendous college career, and will be of the Kevin Jones mold and make an immediate impact.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Not that I don't agree about TOSU's defense but you realize that Maroney's game is virtually identical to what Arrington did last year against USC that had 3 DT's drafted(1 in the supplemental) and a first round MLB?

That was the game last year that convinced a lot of people here JJ was for real, several people posted that after that game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
Here's my mock draft. Rankings are based off those posted by Joe. I also do some tweeking.

3. Green Bay (from Tennessee)
Mathias Kiwanuka
DE
Boston College

-- Kiwanuka could have probably been a top 10 pick in LAST year's draft, and this year he's a more disruptive force than he was last season. Green Bay desperately needs all sorts of help on defense, and this pick will give them a pair of bookends (with KGB) that could be the most dominant in the NFL. It would also give them the hardest to pronounce defensive end tandem.

Kiwi is good but I would dispute the claim that he's more disruptive this year than last year. He had some ungodly number of TFL's last year and it's down this year because he's been hurt and playing against double teams. Most scouting reports now have him behind Mario Williams of NC State for that very reason, Williams is proving to be more able to deal with double teams although I don't think he's hurt.

Both are great prospects, Williams is a junior but everyone has him coming out.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not that I don't agree about TOSU's defense but you realize that Maroney's game is virtually identical to what Arrington did last year against USC that had 3 DT's drafted(1 in the supplemental) and a first round MLB?

That was the game last year that convinced a lot of people here JJ was for real, several people posted that after that game.

They both had good games against good D's.

I guess I just dont see your point, One has nothing to do with the other IMO.

I have always liked Maroney just that I like him more then Williams now after the game becuase I was on the fence.

And it isnt just the stats he put up, watch the game, its the way he put it up. They were some hard 125 yards at 5 yards a pop. He faught for every last inch, he is playing a lot more physical then he ever has before and that was the thing that was stopping me from putting him over the top of Williams.

Reaction score
Just going by the order as of now.. I really don't expect to see Green Bay picking #2.. or San Fran picking as low at 7 unless either team trades..

Anyway - here goes

1. Houston - T D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Virginia
2. Green Bay - RB Reggie Bush - USC
3. New Orleans - CB Jimmy Williams - Virginia Tech
4. Tennessee - QB Matt Leinart - USC
5. Baltimore - RB Laurence Maroney - Minnesota
6. Arizona - T Marcus McNeil - Auburn
7. San Francisco - DE Elvis Dumervil - Louisville
8. NY Jets - QB Brady Quinn - Notre Dame
9. Minnesota - LB AJ Hawk - Ohio State
10. Cleveland - DT Rodrique Wright - Texas

But a mock draft in November is pretty much a crap shoot more than anything :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
They both had good games against good D's.

I guess I just dont see your point, One has nothing to do with the other IMO.

I have always liked Maroney just that I like him more then Williams now after the game becuase I was on the fence.

And it isnt just the stats he put up, watch the game, its the way he put it up. They were some hard 125 yards at 5 yards a pop. He faught for every last inch, he is playing a lot more physical then he ever has before and that was the thing that was stopping me from putting him over the top of Williams.

I was just pointing out the similarities between the 2. Last year after the Cal/USC game there were a couple of big threads here about Arrington and how his game against USC convinced people he was for real against a great team where he had to fight for yardage. And now he's struggling with us.

Just struck me as an eerily similar comment you made to what was made last year. I haven't seen enough of Maroney to really have much of an opinion beyond what I said before, he looks bigger, and seems to have a bit less wiggle. I read that was intentional, he and Barber are good friends and Barber's advise to him was get stronger and run stronger because that's what NFL coaches want.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Maroney was shut down in the 2nd half against OSU.That's not a knock but i think he had 97 yards at halftime(54 on one run)and 27 in the 2nd half so it's not like he lit them up.I like both guys alot but favor Williams.The only concern i have with DeAngelo is he seems to get banged up some.He's a better receiver than Maroney. I sure wish Williams would've come out last year because he would've been the 4th RB chosen.Instead it was JJ

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Maroney was shut down in the 2nd half against OSU.That's not a knock but i think he had 97 yards at halftime(54 on one run)and 27 in the 2nd half so it's not like he lit them up.I like both guys alot but favor Williams.The only concern i have with DeAngelo is he seems to get banged up some.He's a better receiver than Maroney. I sure wish Williams would've come out last year because he would've been the 4th RB chosen.Instead it was JJ

He was 7 attempts for 13 yards in the 2nd half, when they were down and started to pass more often.

He had 18 carries for 114 yards by half time.

He also caught 3 balls for 19 yards.

He did have a fumble though at a pretty bad time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:

Williams probably would have gone higher than #44, although with a broken leg that late in the season I have no idea what kind of shape he was in at draft time?

Williams at 8 was a distinct possibility if he'd come out and was healthy.

I agree, him staying really impacted us.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Marcus McNeil of Auburn? If Arizona winds up with a middle of the pack, Top 10 pick, I think he would be a solid pickup.

Maybe I'm too patient, but I'm still willing to give JJ Arrington the benefit of the doubt and I think they can go after their QB in Round 2 (Reggie McNeal, Kellen Clemens, Bruce Gradkowski, Jay Cutler) then.

The OLine needs the most amount of help, and McNeil, teamed with Leonard Davis, could give them a lethal push.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Snake said:
What do you guys think of Marcus McNeil of Auburn? If Arizona winds up with a middle of the pack, Top 10 pick, I think he would be a solid pickup.

Maybe I'm too patient, but I'm still willing to give JJ Arrington the benefit of the doubt and I think they can go after their QB in Round 2 (Reggie McNeal, Kellen Clemens, Bruce Gradkowski, Jay Cutler) then.

The OLine needs the most amount of help, and McNeil, teamed with Leonard Davis, could give them a lethal push.

McNeil is my favorite player in the draft and would be an excellent pick, I have him and Ferguson even right now.