Prediction: FJ is fired before road trip...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Just a hunch.

Something drastic has to happen.

This team is DIRECTIONLESS!!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Why Not!

This team is sooooooooooooo much better than how it is playing now.

NO Heart.

*sigh*

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guaranteed nothing is going to happen before the road trip. If the team early struggles on the road I wouldn't be surprised if they make another trade (not sure what else they can do). More likely there could be a coaching change. It will not happen before the road trip though. I guarantee it.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I guaranteed nothing is going to happen before the road trip. If the team early struggles on the road I wouldn't be surprised if they make another trade (not sure what else they can do). More likely there could be a coaching change. It will not happen before the road trip though. I guarantee it.

Joe Mama

Why not?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
Why not?

Because I have an inside source. :) I just listened to Bryan Colangelo talk on the radio yesterday about how they were going to wait until after the road trip to see if any changes need to be made. He also pointed out that injuries to players they were counting on have made a difference.

I just worry that they will bring somebody else in that is worse. I'm not very excited about anyone else who is available. If they're going to fire Frank Johnson I would prefer a hand over the reins to one of the top assistants for the rest of the season.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because I have an inside source. :) I just listened to Bryan Colangelo talk on the radio yesterday about how they were going to wait until after the road trip to see if any changes need to be made. He also pointed out that injuries to players they were counting on have made a difference.

Joe Mama

I hate the injury excuse. Sure, right now, we've got some injuries(i.e. Zarko), but for the most part, we've been healthy--that convenient "it's only injuries" excuse can only work for so long.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score

I just worry that they will bring somebody else in that is worse. I'm not very excited about anyone else who is available. If they're going to fire Frank Johnson I would prefer a hand over the reins to one of the top assistants for the rest of the season.

Joe Mama

I should have known. :D

However, I do think BC never expected the atrocity that just occurred. It's possible BC/JC may want to get something done before the road trip.

Not as much pressure from the PHX media would be a good reason to get another coach in there.

So, who gets the nod?

Iavoroni
Grgurich
D'Antoni
Darkhorse: Phil Weber?
Eddie Johnson
Al McCoy :p

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly
I should have known. :D

However, I do think BC never expected the atrocity that just occurred. It's possible BC/JC may want to get something done before the road trip.

Not as much pressure from the PHX media would be a good reason to get another coach in there.

So, who gets the nod?

Iavoroni
Grgurich
D'Antoni
Darkhorse: Phil Weber?
Eddie Johnson
Al McCoy :p

IF it happens, I'd put my money on Iavoroni, with D'Antoni a close second.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Fire Frank and bring in George Karl. If any of you remember he did great things with a 1-2 combo of Payton and Kemp think what he could do with Stephon and Amare. I think he's our man and he will whip these guys into shape. He also does not run a country club like all the other coaches that have been in here and maybe he will install an actual offense instead of the good old lets stand around until steph does something.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Trade Proposal:

Battier for Trybanski and Conditional 1st Rounder

I only watch Suns these days but Battier is shooting 43% from 3PT and can defend at SG(shoot play PF as well hehe). Don't know if he's the shooter/defender Joe Mama is looking for though?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Re: Trade Proposal:

Originally posted by BbaLL_31
Battier for Trybanski and Conditional 1st Rounder

I only watch Suns these days but Battier is shooting 43% from 3PT and can defend at SG(shoot play PF as well hehe). Don't know if he's the shooter/defender Joe Mama is looking for though?

And you think we could get him for table scraps? The Grizzlies traded us Trybanski in the first place!

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I hate the injury excuse. Sure, right now, we've got some injuries(i.e. Zarko), but for the most part, we've been healthy--that convenient "it's only injuries" excuse can only work for so long.
I agree.

How does SEA play without Ray Allen, GSW without Murphy (sometimes without Richardson and NVE), LAC without Brand?
MUCH better than us.

Forget the whining about injuries!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I am not a Karl fan.

I would be interested in Doc Rivers if available.

Otherwise Grgurich or Iavoroni would suffice.

I agree, however, nothing will happen prior to the road trip.

Injuries are no excuse for this diasaster.

WERE NUMBER 1!!!
SUNS RULE!!!
:thumbup:
:D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I wouldn't say injuries have nothing to do with this. If this team was completely healthy I don't doubt that they would have at least a couple more victories under their belt. But I do agree that injuries should not be used as an excuse for a losing record. Every team gets injuries. That should be expected.

Joe Mama

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
But I do agree that injuries should not be used as an excuse for a losing record. Every team gets injuries. That should be expected.

Exactly. And being able to adjust your strategy for the loss of certain players is a sign of a good coach. That hasn't happened here. What does that tell us?

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
I thought you guys would never see the light.

The Suns are in need of a catalyst type head coach that is going to create a buzz to fire up our young and impressionable team.

I don't think the team believes in what FJ is trying to do anymore.

After saying to myself in the begining of the season, "he's (FJ) still learning lets see what happens" now I realize how crazy that idea was.

It's like the blind leading the blind, and it was even more evident after watching the Golden State game last week.

Despite the injuries they should have won that game as well as a host of others.

Like I said before, I see Starbury doing what is asked, I see the bench doing what is asked, I see our three headed center doing what is asked. What I don't see is organization on the basketball court.

Sometimes it doesn't even look like they have a game plan.

The Suns need a Good head coach like others have stated, a George Karl or If he was up to it, and I know I am stretching here but , Pat Riley.

Talk about adding fuel to the fame of a Suns vs Lakers Rivalry.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
I say we fire Frank and bring Cotton back. He was a awesome coach. Frank sucks. He treats his players like they're five.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
What would promoting an assistant do for the mood/motivation of the team? Are assistants so stifled (ala Archie Bunker) that they can't voice their thoughts?

I'm all for ditching FJ. I think the Suns have a good group of assistants. It's just that I'd be worried it'd be the same 'stuff'--different pile.

New blood. I don't care who. Karl, Rivers, Daly, Riley, whatever.......

Brad

scotsman13

Reaction score
one name that i havent seen on anyones list that i think should be there is rudy t from houston. this is the only coach out there that has won a championship that isnt named phil or greg. he build a team with only a single superstar in hakeem and a bounch of role players. sure he wasnt as productive in the later years of his nba time but if you want a coach that will get everyone playing their roles and spacing the floor well he would be one of the better names that i could think of.

if we were to promote an assistant coach up i think i would go for Iavoroni. he is a big man who would help see that this team is based around amare.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw, I like Eddie Johnson. If anyone from within the organisation should replace Frak Johnson I would have to say Eddie Johnson.

Just listening to his commentary tells me he would be a much better coach than Frank Johnson.

A short list
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and hire a veteran head coach to assist him in his first season or something like that.
-Eddie Johnson, if someone from within the organisation
-Isiah Thomas - I like him
-Mike Fratello - Seems to like the Suns
-Rudy T - If he is healthy enough and has enough left in the tank
-Someone completely different like John Stockton or Jeff Hornacek or some other retired top player.

Last edited:

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Good list, slinslin. Kareem is one name I hadn't heard mentioned for coach. Didn't he coach high school bball for $1 a while ago? Not sure how much experience he has had but he would definitely be worth looking in to.

Eddie Johnson would seem like a good choice also. He at least says all the right things during the games. He seems like he would get along with everyone too. Not sure how he would handle a confrontation with a super-inflated ego.

Rudy T., Karl and Riley I'm not so impressed with. Sure they have some great history but none of them have much success in the last 4 or 5 years.

Chuck Daley would be my #1 choice but I don't think he is able to coach any longer. I wonder if there is anybody around that coaches in his style.

I'm also ok with Ivaroni (especially) or D'Antoni. They've got to be better than Frank.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
I would take a highschool coach at this point over FJ. I'm sick of seeing this team look like they are complety lost out there. There never seems to be any explanations for FJ rotations, other then the usual, we're in a funk and when your in a funk you need to try something different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05