Predictions for the rest of the year

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Team begins to buy in to D'Antoni's coaching. They knock down a couple of wins before Amare and Zarko get back.

A little while after they get back, the team begins to really mesh, with a decent winning streak around the All-Star break. Zarko plays much more of a role.

They will compete for a playoff spot, but might not make it. It will come down to the last 1 or 2 games of the season.

If in, they lose in the 1st round to the Lakers, but go 6 games.

If out, they get one of the last few lotto picks.

PS: There will be a trade deadline move. It will involve Googs plus other player. The Suns will seek to be opportunistic in this deal, trying to find another team desperate to move salary or add that one more player.

Last edited:

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
My prediction?

The Suns will continue to flounder as we have virtually no inside game without Amare. Our small team will get punished and abused routinely no matter what D'Antoni tries to do. As a result Suns players will continue to try an individually to take over games instead of embracing the team concept.

When Amare gets back we will still be weak..Amare needs time to get back in the groove. But even before Amare went down we struggled so I dont expect that to change radically. Only Amare and Zarko together will win us significant games.

Will it be enough to get us in the playoffs? Of course not. Our team is too young and immature...plus we have a newbie coach. Even though D'Antoni had success in Europe I dont know if their soft defense game translates well for us. Europeans arn't known for their defensive prowness so I hope D'Antoni measures up in that regard.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have little hope the Suns will make the playoffs. Too many teams are playing well. But I think the Suns might get close to 500 if they buy into the "team" concept and focus on becoming better man defenders.

I expect to see a lot more of the "big" lineup. Williams at PF gives them a shooter that is better than the other guys they have played there - and he is a pretty good rebounder.

I expect to see more White. Sitting him does not help him develop his game and the Suns despirately need his toughness.

I expect to see a lot more Barbosa. His ball hawking skills are remarkable and he adds a lot of excitement.

I expect that Googs will be listed as DNP for the rest of the season.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
I think our team is exciting and will have a great future so I'm not too concerned about the playoffs this season. It would be nice if we made it (although I'm not thrilled about getting an 8th seed) but we might be digging too big a hole to come back. The west is just too tough and there isnt much room for error or injury.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we end up in the lottery it is just too bad that we are one year too late for the "Lebron Lottery".

I doubt that another lottery pick will help us unless we get a player who is absolutely ready to play at a high level. The only positive would be that it gives us a very valueable trade commodity to reshape this roster a little.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
If we end up in the lottery it is just too bad that we are one year too late for the "Lebron Lottery".

I doubt that another lottery pick will help us unless we get a player who is absolutely ready to play at a high level. The only positive would be that it gives us a very valueable trade commodity to reshape this roster a little.

Slin, if you had a chance to watch Luol Deng? I've watched in the few times now. I've been very, very impressed. I don't know that he'll have an opportunity to have a Carmelo Anthony like effect in college basketball this season because he plays for such a deep Duke team. I like him though. He's shooting 45.9% from the field and 46.4% from beyond the arc.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
But where would Deng play for the Suns?

Would you play him as a 2 guard and Marion at the 3? Or would you play Marion and Zarko or would you play Deng at the 2 and Zarko at the 3 and get rid off Marion?

If we had a top 7 pick the only guys on the draft radar so far that have me interessted are Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard.

David Harrison might be interessting if we had a mid or late first round pick.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But where would Deng play for the Suns?

Would you play him as a 2 guard and Marion at the 3? Or would you play Marion and Zarko or would you play Deng at the 2 and Zarko at the 3 and get rid off Marion?

If we had a top 7 pick the only guys on the draft radar so far that have me interessted are Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard.

But where would Okafor or Howard play for the Suns?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
They have big bodies , I doubt playing time would be a huge problem even if they came off the bench to backup Amare and help out at center.

Okafor could probably play very well at center against all teams except the Lakers and Rockets.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I wasn't necessarily saying that Deng would be a great fit for the Phoenix Suns. I'm not saying he is what this team needs. I was just asking if you had seen him play.

Deng will probably balance between small forward and shooting guard. I believe he is 6' 8" with a 7' 0" wingspan. I was really impressed with his defense and shot blocking. Those long arms really seemed to bother opposing offenses.

Joe Mama

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I would much rather see us get a high loto spot in the draft then lose in the first round. Lets just hope we get a good pick that can help next year.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But where would Okafor or Howard play for the Suns?

The Suns probably could use a solid backup PF. I would prefer a straight on shot blocker, but a first rate power forward could be a good second choice.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phill11
I would much rather see us get a high loto spot in the draft then lose in the first round. Lets just hope we get a good pick that can help next year.

Yeah. I'd like for the Suns to have a good chance of making it to the second round or just forget it. The draft isnt a guarantee but yet we did get Amare and Marion out of our last two top 10 picks. This draft seems kind of weak but who knows how it will be in 6 months from now.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns need role players and veterans not lottery picks with high ambitions.

If I could I would rather trade that pick to stop the bleeding right now. This losing and unbalanced roster with literally no depth at PF and inconsistency at SG is really frustrating.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And a winning attitude. You don't get that by losing all the time and picking up a lucky win every once in a while because other teams start to take you lightly.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And a winning attitude. You don't get that by losing all the time and picking up a lucky win every once in a while because other teams start to take you lightly.

Really Slin, what is your problem? You think the Phoenix Suns' victories are lucky because the other team takes them slightly. That's ridiculous. They played a good game against the Houston Rockets tonight.

I agree that I would much rather see the Phoenix Suns win games even if they don't make the playoffs at all. Making the playoffs would be a huge deal because they would have to play some very good basketball down the stretch to get there.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I am looking for is that the Suns play well. They lack the healthy personnel to be a consistent winner, but solid performances provide the basis for future success.

Several of the people on this board have noted some really positive signs over the past few games. It is clear that the coaching switch has made a difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay - now you all are going to callme absolutely nuts here - but here's my prediction - IF the Suns are within 7 games of .500 when Amare and Zarko come back - they sneak into the playoffs as the 8 seed. I don't know why - but one - this team, even without those guys is starting to actually become a little competitve and with those guys - this team has the ability to be very good - not to mention there are always teams that come out of the gate who stumble as the season goes along (would it shock anyone to see Seattle, Clippers, Memphis and even Denver back hovering around.500 by season's end).

I know this is a stretch - but I am the same guy who in college, stood up in my frat monday meeting and proclaimed the Suns would make the playoffs in 1997 - they were 0-14 at the time. If the effort like the last couple games continues - and this team can just keep up until the big guys come back - I can see us going on a late season run - likely - no - possible - not really - but hey - we can't give up on the season already.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You have nothing postive to say at all. Even with the win this evening, you STILL can't say anything positive. That's pretty sad.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Suns sneak into the playoffs at the end of the year and make some noise. I wouldn't mind seeing them get stupid lucky in the lottery (if not Spurs lucky) and wind up with a F/C like Tiago Splitter--you really can't have too much talent in the NBA. (Just ask Jerry West if you don't believe me.)

The Suns haven't had much luck, though, throughout the franchise's history. So, I'll predict that they wind up at about .500, barely miss the playoffs, and draft at the #12 or #13 spot this summer. :(

As long as the team and the players improve as the season wears on--as long as there's still hope for the future for this group of players--I'll be satisfied. :|

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
They played one of the bast games of teh Season tonight. The clincher was the stupid foul on Francis. Matrix looked like money. I told one of my friends they need another guy to step up. JJ stoped looking like Rip VAn Winkle. He needs to attack the hoop more. Maybe our new coach is realizing that and is actuallyly "coaching" him.
I also did not mind that Whaite and Jke fouled out. They got good use of their fouls. We had 3 centers and we need to use up al1 18 fouls.
Maybe Scott Williams can be our secret 3 pt weapon

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05