Preseason: Lakers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 12-16-20

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chris_Sanders

I think if you have something to say it would be better to say it.

Well since you asked...

I try to keep some level of self awareness, though I am not always successful at it. There can come a point where my personal opinion of certain posters becomes so negative, that I don't believe I can fairly moderate them because of the lens I see them in.

At that point I try my best to ignore them but since I literally can't "ignore" any poster, I will just stop posting there.

So it becomes murky to me what is best for the overall community

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since you asked...

I try to keep some level of self awareness, though I am not always successful at it. There can come a point where my personal opinion of certain posters becomes so negative, that I don't believe I can fairly moderate them because of the lens I see them in.

At that point I try my best to ignore them but since I literally can't "ignore" any poster, I will just stop posting there.

So it becomes murky to me what is best for the overall community

I think it's better to tell the individual poster or posters what you think and let the chips fall where they may.

Sometimes being a Suns poster can be a thankless job.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If anyone doesn't like my observations or the manner in which I communicate them, you are welcome to say so, or better yet, make an effort to refute the observations, or you can choose to ignore them. I thought the whole point of a board like this was to share our unvarnished opinions and observations knowing that inevitably there will be disagreements, and we won't always see eye to eye, but in the end we are all Suns fans and want to see a return to the glory days of the mid-1970s, early 1980s, early 1990s and mid-2000s.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If anyone doesn't like my observations or the manner in which I communicate them, you are welcome to say so, or better yet, make an effort to refute the observations, or you can choose to ignore them. I thought the whole point of a board like this was to share our unvarnished opinions and observations knowing that inevitably there will be disagreements, and we won't always see eye to eye, but in the end we are all Suns fans and want to see a return to the glory days of the mid-1970s, early 1980s, early 1990s and mid-2000s.
The issue is that you basically only ever point out negatives and you feel the need to make the same statements over and over and over again. It get's old after awhile. It is sometimes hard to believe that you are even being serious half the time because it seems like a lot of your observations are not just wrong, but obviously completely wrong. And don't pretend that people don't regularly refute your points because they do and sometimes with irrefutable stats and points.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the technology in the world, still wasnt able to get the game on the tele.

Tried streaming the phone to the roku no-go.

PC to tv, pc has no hdmi

Mac to tv, no hdmi

phone lightning to hdmi, video will not show up on tv.

I really wish i could just turn on the tv, go the the channel, and simply watch the game. WTF happened to that?

I did watch the game somewhat. Booker is ready to go. Ayton's lungs are stunted or something, maybe too much puff-puff-pass or vaping, idk, but a guy as thin and lean like that shouldn't be that winded compared to everyone else. CP3 making passes, right now he's, imo, trying to get everyone up to speed on his playing style since he's the main facilitator. Crowded was decent.

Negatives but hopefully they'll coming around. Most importantly is the lack of made shots, Smith has been shooting the 3 but i dont think has connected on too many. Bridges in that second utah game hit his first 3, then didnt make any iirc. Carter and the rest of the bench guys are having trouble. Galloway seems the most consistent i guess.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
God I wish I could ignore posters as a moderator

There are a few posters on each forum I ignore.

But on this one, there is a super annoying poster that I ignore that people constantly reply to and it makes the flow of threads really strange so I constantly unignore to see what I'm missing. I quickly regret it every time...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He was absolutely called out locally about being in shape. Before the game 98.7 was just ripping him and saying the coddling is over.

I mean he has responded so great. Some guys need to be pushed hard.
So of my memories of those Barkley's teams in AZ is Barkley literally pushing Oliver Miller during the games. Yelling at him, encouraging him, and Barkley got the best play out of Miller, but he had to be pushed the whole way!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So of my memories of those Barkley's teams in AZ is Barkley literally pushing Oliver Miller during the games. Yelling at him, encouraging him, and Barkley got the best play out of Miller, but he had to be pushed the whole way!

i think I remember a story of Barkley putting a burger on the back of the rim?

Miller still never came close to being what he could have.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few posters on each forum I ignore.

But on this one, there is a super annoying poster that I ignore that people constantly reply to and it makes the flow of threads really strange so I constantly unignore to see what I'm missing. I quickly regret it every time...

IMO the ignore function is almost useless. There will always be people that engage the kind of poster you're referring to so it's almost impossible to truly escape. Also, if you allow constant errors, lies, misrepresentations and unadulterated spin to just continue unchecked, it degrades the quality and the mood of the board and it quickly starts to drive posters away. That's my view anyway.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IMO the ignore function is almost useless. There will always be people that engage the kind of poster you're referring to so it's almost impossible to truly escape. Also, if you allow constant errors, lies, misrepresentations and unadulterated spin to just continue unchecked, it degrades the quality and the mood of the board and it quickly starts to drive posters away. That's my view anyway.
In regards to this one poster ignore has worked quite well for me.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
i think I remember a story of Barkley putting a burger on the back of the rim?

Miller still never came close to being what he could have.
After he left the Suns he would have the occasional good game, but he pretty much went down hill overall. I think he had one good season after leaving us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton say when you are a competitor you play to the level of competition a lot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton say when you are a competitor you play to the level of competition a lot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think it's time to trade Ayton, while we still can get something for him. He just doesn't get it, and it looks like he never will.

When you're a real competitor, you NEVER play to the level of competition. You play at your absolute highest level...always. You set standards for yourself that apply regardless of the competition.

This tells me conclusively that Ayton has no internal motor at all and relies solely on external factors to motivate him. Players like that almost always end up flaming out in the NBA.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think it's time to trade Ayton, while we still can get something for him. He just doesn't get it, and it looks like he never will.
If he puts up 21 and 9 while not getting it, at his age, I can wait until the light bulb goes on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to this one poster ignore has worked quite well for me.

It didn't for me, far too many orphaned discussions. So a few months ago I set free the few people I'd placed in conversation jail. I now engage the former "ignored" but only when I'm in the right mood for it. I try to not get too tied up in the conversation as it can get frustrating if you're at all invested in it. When it becomes tiresome or it becomes a challenge to remain civil, I just skip their posts until my forum sanity returns.

I see it this way. You can either use the ignore function and live with the fact that others will still engage. You can do it my way, where you use real life ignore when necessary otherwise it's business as usual. Or you can try and organize a freeze-out with like-minded posters so as to prevent the dangling conversations. But that last approach feels an awful lot like cyber bullying so I choose to respond when I want and skip when I don't. Obviously, YMMV.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he puts up 21 and 9 while not getting it, at his age, I can wait until the light bulb goes on.

The problem is that for every game like last night, you get 3 or 4 like Monday...

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton looked good last night on the court.

I wish he would stop talking about himself to the media and just focus on his game. It's not a good look.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you're a real competitor, you NEVER play to the level of competition. You play at your absolute highest level...always. You set standards for yourself that apply regardless of the competition.

This tells me conclusively that Ayton has no internal motor at all and relies solely on external factors to motivate him. Players like that almost always end up flaming out in the NBA.

That would be a bad decision. He may not be playing up to his number one draft slot but if he'd been selected 12th everyone would be raving about him. He's played well enough to give us hope but still, nobody is going to give us what he's really worth. Selling low when you're looking at that much untapped potential is how you turn your organization into the laughingstock of the league. Granted, we're already there but that's no reason to add a laugh track to this reality show.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton looked good last night on the court.

I wish he would stop talking about himself to the media and just focus on his game. It's not a good look.
He was definitely a net plus. But his stretch when he re-entered the game in the second quarter was awful. Anyone he guarded scored over him, including guards, he had a turnover, and allowed an ancient, earthbound gasol to snare rebounds without fighting for them, and missed two shots. I was really down on him going into halftime. His third quarter resurrected him. And though he still wasn’t purposefully drawing contact in the post at least he had 5 FTs. Also impressive in the steaks department.