Put all the bias aside….can the Suns win this series?

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Yes, the Suns can still win the series - by taking it one game at a time. They proved in the regular season they can beat the Spurs in SA. They have all the right pieces/parts to win this series. Just have to blow off the loss and win Game 2.

Have faith...maybe the NBA is actually rigged and this is the Suns year? ;)

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
I think the team's current state of mind is very fragile.
They need to take the next game. If they come home 0-2, I'm afraid they will lose all confidence and surrender the series.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
of course the suns can win. they just have to keep their cool and stop blaming other people. simple as that.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
We will win with ease the rest of the way. :koolaid:

This game was just to build up some interest in this series. :raccoon:

Pfunk16

Reaction score
Of course the Suns can win. It's a 7 game series. Anything can & will happen.

But if the Spurs go up 2-0 in the series. It will be over in 5 games. IMO

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If you add up all of the Suns' core players, how many series have they won after suffering a devastating loss in Game 1?

A lot.

No one with the team is panicking.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
the players on the court have to over-rule him at that point. simple as that.

That is insight you rarely hear from the fans. Anybody who has actually played the game at a high level realizes that most plays called rarely materialize as they were drawn up. How the defense reacts determines the adjustments you must make AS A PLAYER on the floor. Just because the coach calls a play doesnt mean you stick to it at all costs. You have to observe and react.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you add up all of the Suns' core players, how many series have they won after suffering a devastating loss in Game 1?

A lot.

No one with the team is panicking.

really? How many? Because during this entire era, this Suns team has never won a series after losing the first game and most of the time when Shaq loses game 1, his teams usually crumble pretty damn fast after. Do you have anything to back this up?

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
really? How many? Because during this entire era, this Suns team has never won a series after losing the first game and most of the time when Shaq loses game 1, his teams usually crumble pretty damn fast after. Do you have anything to back this up?

Historically speaking, and i found this to be a shocking stat, the winner of the first game goes on to win the series 80% of the time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically speaking, and i found this to be a shocking stat, the winner of the first game goes on to win the series 80% of the time.

don't know why you find this shocking. that stat has been repeated ad naseum for years and it makes sense. any time that has to battle from a deficit has little to no room for error in a short series.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
don't know why you find this shocking. that stat has been repeated ad naseum for years and it makes sense. any time that has to battle from a deficit has little to no room for error in a short series.

I guess i never paid attention since my team wins most thier first games:D

Actually, i just figured it would be more around the 60/40 split.

Last edited:

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Yeah. Winning Game 2 in San Antonio is important, because we have to win at least one on their home court, and it would be nice to have the series split heading back home. It's definitely possible for Phoenix to win.

:yeahthat:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. They can't lose another nailbiter though. I'd rather they get blown out than lose a nailbiter.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's possible but the statistics speak for themselves. 83% of all game 1 winners in the first round win the series... also, when was the last time the Spurs lost a game 1 and didn't win the series?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score

Is that statistic based on match ups? Cuz if it's 1 seed vs 8 seed, then yes it has validity. If it's 3 vs 4 (or in this case Suns vs Spurs) I don't think it holds water.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that statistic based on match ups? Cuz if it's 1 seed vs 8 seed, then yes it has validity. If it's 3 vs 4 (or in this case Suns vs Spurs) I don't think it holds water.

That's all playoff series. How many times has a 3rd and a 6 seed played each other, where only one game separates the two teams?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it's based on every single 7 game matchup throughout NBA history and considering that the NBA just went to first round 7 game matchups 4 years ago, the overwhelming majority of those statistics come from series with teams that are relatively even matched record wise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No it can't, when that coach is drawing up every last second play to go to second tier players. I don't see Popovich designing last second shots for Oberto or Barry.
Well... Popovich drew one up for Finley on Saturday, who is definitely second tier for the Spurs. Also, go back to the Sacramento series of 2006 when the Spurs ran a play for Barry to hit a three that sent Game 3 (I think) into overtime. Popovich is crazy. He'll call plays for anybody. He doesn't give a ****.

But back to the original question... of course the Suns can win this.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The series will be determined by the foul trouble of the suns big men. If they stay out of foul trouble the suns win, if not the spurs win. With hill injured Im not so sure the suns can win the west anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05