Put me in charge and here's the off season

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
After firing DG and the entire staff i would hire Ron Rivera as HC. Then, i'd try and lure Russ Grimm from Pittsburgh by promoting him to become the OC. That would give us two hard-nosed, tough-minded, no-nonsense leaders on each side of the ball.

Then we move on to free agency.I put the franchise tag on Davis. I see what kind of offers he gets and ,if reaonable, match it and move him guard or i work out a trade with the team that wants him. I don't let a LT walk away without any compensation. With all the cap space we'll have available i make a strong push to sign Nate Clements and either Lance Briggs or Adulais Thomas to fill the need at LB. Then i see what's out there at DE and bring in a veteran.I would also sign Dansby to an extension.Like him ,or not, he's probably our dest defensive player.

Next we move to the draft.Buffalo or Oakland will try and move up to the top spot to get Brady Quinn. We make the trade and swap picks(we'll say 5th overall) and pick up their second and third round picks this year. With our picks the draft goes like this the first day:

round 1(5)-Joe Thomas-OT,Wisconsin
round 2(33)- Lawrence Jackson-DE, USC
round 2(37)- Kyle Young-C,Fresno St.
round 3(65)- Joe Staley-OT,Western Michigan
round 3(69)- Tom Zbikowski/Reggie Nelson-FS, Notre Dame/Florida whichever is there.
round 4(97)-Prescott Burgess-LB, Michigan

if we'd happen to get a second rounder for Davis i would look at Mrkisto Bruce,DE from Washington St depending on where the pick would fall.

So what do you guys think. Am i hired :fans: or am i the second coming of George Boone :eek:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why but i don't like Lawrence Jackson. Seems like USC has had some really good DE's in recent times but he doesn't impress me. He looks the part but got off to a horrible start this year, certainly has the measurables you look for.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can't get Russ Grimm for an OC position because he already carries the title of Assistant HC. You have to make him HC if you're going to pry him away.

Oh, and he's going to have to want to come. And with the current state of the Steelers' offensive line, it's hard for me not to see why you'd like to bring this guy it. They're AWESOME!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Does that pick swap really work out points-wise? That seems to be a low price to move up to the first pick in the draft...

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It is a little low points wise, maybe they could throw in a 3rd next year or something, but i was thinking that would probably be the best we could get in picks for this coming draft. I didn't know Grimm had the Asst HC label attached to him.That's kind of strange considering Whisenhunt is the OC. I know he only has it because the Steelers want to keep him from leaving and put that phony moniker on him,like alot of NFL teams do,so he can't be lured away unless there is a promotion involved. The NFL should do something to close that loophole because it would definitley be a promotion going from OL coach to OC and you would think that's what the NFL and coaches would want.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that Grimm is generally believed to be the heir-apparent to Cowher's job. I'm not certain that he'd come if that's the case...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not good enough. I want the secretaries, PR staff, ticket staff, financial office, team doctors and janitors fired as well.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I think that Grimm is generally believed to be the heir-apparent to Cowher's job. I'm not certain that he'd come if that's the case...

Actually, i just read somehwere today that if Cowher retires that Whisenhunt will be named HC. But that would still probably mean Grimm would get bumped up to OC.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I want some defensive coaches and players that know the fundamentals of tackling and staying in their gaps to fill the lanes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's way too early to start thinking about the draft. Some guys are going to jump up in the last month of the season, some guys are going to fall, and some guys are going to get hurt and decide that they have to spend another season in college.

That said, it's not too early to start thinking about free agency, and this team has three players that they need to get: Adalius Thomas (don't go for style over substance here; Thomas is for real. So for real that he probably will not hit the open market. Be very wary of giving an eight-figure bonus to Lanve Briggs), Asante Samuel (get all the smart players you can--he's a Pat, and he knows what it takes to win), and Patrick Kearney. Len P says that Kearney's eligible fore Unrestricted Free Agency after this season, and if the Cards can get ahold of this guy with the kind of money they have, it'd be great.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Anybody who wants to pay Big $10M to watch him false start at critical points of the game and have DEs run past him all day must be on drugs. If you not on drugs you should start. Maybe it would improve your mental capacity.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anybody who wants to pay Big $10M to watch him false start at critical points of the game and have DEs run past him all day If you not on drugs you should start. Maybe it would improve your mental capacity.

Davis thinks he is one of our Defensive Tackles.

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
After firing DG and the entire staff i would hire Ron Rivera as HC. Then, i'd try and lure Russ Grimm from Pittsburgh by promoting him to become the OC. That would give us two hard-nosed, tough-minded, no-nonsense leaders on each side of the ball.

Then we move on to free agency.I put the franchise tag on Davis. I see what kind of offers he gets and ,if reaonable, match it and move him guard or i work out a trade with the team that wants him. I don't let a LT walk away without any compensation. With all the cap space we'll have available i make a strong push to sign Nate Clements and either Lance Briggs or Adulais Thomas to fill the need at LB. Then i see what's out there at DE and bring in a veteran.I would also sign Dansby to an extension.Like him ,or not, he's probably our dest defensive player.

Next we move to the draft.Buffalo or Oakland will try and move up to the top spot to get Brady Quinn. We make the trade and swap picks(we'll say 5th overall) and pick up their second and third round picks this year. With our picks the draft goes like this the first day:

round 1(5)-Joe Thomas-OT,Wisconsin
round 2(33)- Lawrence Jackson-DE, USC
round 2(37)- Kyle Young-C,Fresno St.
round 3(65)- Joe Staley-OT,Western Michigan
round 3(69)- Tom Zbikowski/Reggie Nelson-FS, Notre Dame/Florida whichever is there.
round 4(97)-Prescott Burgess-LB, Michigan

if we'd happen to get a second rounder for Davis i would look at Mrkisto Bruce,DE from Washington St depending on where the pick would fall.

So what do you guys think. Am i hired :fans: or am i the second coming of George Boone :eek:

Your plan has two major flaws. You in no way address the need for a speed #3 receiver/punt returner/kick returner. You also in no way address the fact that Leonard Davis has the brain capacity to play any position other than tackling dummy. Not to mention the fact that the money he will command is completely unrealistic according to talent level. Resigning him for the money won't happen by chancing him with a position switch.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I have to question how many of the people pushing for Wisconsin OT Thomas have actually seen him play. In southern IN, we always get our fill of Big10 also-rans early in the morning, with Wisconsin filling the slate almost every week against someone. Sure, he's big, but he's much more of a leaner than a blocker and seems to be satisfied just getting in people's way. I've actually been more impressed with UW's RT than Thomas as far as dominating the person across from him. If you question Big's mean-streak, you are going to shred this guy.

As far as Big goes, and I'm sure this has been brought up before, but maybe there is an alternate explanation for the penalties. Perhaps, as most people on this board seem to feel, he feels that LT isn't his best position and it is all mental with lacking confidence to face the rushers. I guess I'm proposing that Big isn't "stupid" as it may seem by moving before the snap, but maybe he has the yips at LT. At the NFL level, the game is very much mental and maybe he is more shaken than he is incapable. Not sure what the solution is, but it's just a thought.

Other than that, good ideas Cbus. (Go Buckeyes) Although, for a HC, I want Jim Mora, Sr. At least then, if we lose, we have entertaining Press Conferences.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Your plan has two major flaws. You in no way address the need for a speed #3 receiver/punt returner/kick returner. You also in no way address the fact that Leonard Davis has the brain capacity to play any position other than tackling dummy. Not to mention the fact that the money he will command is completely unrealistic according to talent level. Resigning him for the money won't happen by chancing him with a position switch.

Well,we don't have a speed receiver this year either. I'm thinking Leron McCoy could be the speed guy. He looked promising last year.