Q

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
looks like our best FA option now. I wonder if we threw the remainder of our cap space his way, will the Clips match? Should we throw the rest to him? I would be okay with that, with the stipulation that we go after a center via trade later in the season.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
According to Gambo (yes that Gambo), they are willing to spend almost all of their remaining cap space on him and not really worry about the center position.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have a problem with the signing of Q. He would add some solid depth to this team and he's a good player and I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the left over center prospects. So, I say go for it!

Maybe they can entice Dice to stay here with an incentive laden contract :shrug:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
carey said:
Do we really want to be paying that much for a 6th man?

Do we really want to spend that much on the FA centers that are still left?

IMO the answer is no to both questions, but I'd rather go with the best player available rather than spend a bunch of money on a big man that may or may not produce.

According to a Salt Lake City reporter, more than likely someone is going to give Ostertag the MLE (too rich for my blood)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
A good 6th man is very valueable.

And I wouldn't call Q definately a 6th man. JJ and Q would battle it out for the starting spot and if it doesn't work out one of them is trade bait for a center.

Btw, didn't we already have a "Q" thread by Dave? It had exactly the same title too.

Last edited:

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
slinslin said:
A good 6th man is very valueable.

And I wouldn't call Q definately a 6th man. JJ and Q would battle it out for the starting spot and if it doesn't work out one of them is trade bait for a center.

Btw, didn't we already have a "Q" thread by Dave? It had exactly the same title too.
I wonder if jj would go back to being his old 'i dont like competition at the two spot' self and crawl back into his shell. I would hope not, but you never know. There is a reason he blew up when miss penny hardaway was traded

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wonder if jj would go back to being his old 'i dont like competition at the two spot' self and crawl back into his shell.

If that's going to happen, it would be good to know as soon as possible. The franchise can't spend the next five or ten years worrying about which acquisition is going to destroy Johnson's confidence next.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SlinSlin, I couldn't find the other thread so I just started another. What is the big deal with that? I think Q would start at the 2, then bring JJ off the bench as one of the league's best 6th men. In crunch time, we would probably go with Nash, JJ, Q, Marion, and Amare. Kind of small, but they would be our 5 best players by far.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
why would q give up a starting spot elsewhere to be a backup (potentially) here? nahgonnahappen.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
why would q give up a starting spot elsewhere to be a backup (potentially) here? nahgonnahappen.

A) Money?
B) Winning?
C) Confidence to beat out JJ?
D) Does he care about starting as long as he gets minutes?
E) Maybe he likes Alvin Gentry who coached him 2 and a half year?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
slinslin said:
A) Money?
B) Winning?
C) Confidence to beat out JJ?
D) Does he care about starting as long as he gets minutes?
E) Maybe he likes Alvin Gentry who coached him 2 and a half year?

i think the only legit reason is kobe to the clips. if that doesn't happen he'll get his cash from the clips where he's GUARANTEED to start and doesn't have to battle JJ, so that eliminates (A) and (C). and maybe i'm jaded, but i just don't see much (B) outta most younger players these days - only older players who have missed the playoffs and/or championships tend to base their decisions on winning. (D) just doesn't seem to exist either - see al harrington as the posterboy for the destruction of the (D)-myth. and (E), by itself, is a looooooooong stretch. that's why i think it'll be (F) - he's not coming unless we've traded jj or marion to open a slot for him.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i think the only legit reason is kobe to the clips. if that doesn't happen he'll get his cash from the clips where he's GUARANTEED to start and doesn't have to battle JJ, so that eliminates (A) and (C). and maybe i'm jaded, but i just don't see much (B) outta most younger players these days - only older players who have missed the playoffs and/or championships tend to base their decisions on winning. (D) just doesn't seem to exist either - see al harrington as the posterboy for the destruction of the (D)-myth. and (E), by itself, is a looooooooong stretch. that's why i think it'll be (F) - he's not coming unless we've traded jj or marion to open a slot for him.

maybe, maybe not. There is no harm in trying.

Besides the point you are assuming that Donald Sterling would be willing to match a $7.5 million offer to keep him (not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination). Also, if we sign him now the Clippers have 2 weeks to make up their mind on whether to keep him or not and supposedly Kobe won't make a decision on where he signs until August (hence forcing great pressure on Sterling & the Clippers front office to make a decision)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
maybe, maybe not. There is no harm in trying.

Besides the point you are assuming that Donald Sterling would be willing to match a $7.5 million offer to keep him (not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination). Also, if we sign him now the Clippers have 2 weeks to make up their mind on whether to keep him or not and supposedly Kobe won't make a decision on where he signs until August (hence forcing great pressure on Sterling & the Clippers front office to make a decision)

no, we can't sign him 'til the july 15th deadline. at THAT point the two weeks begins to run, which basically takes the clips to the beginning of august, by which time they'll know whether they have kobe in the fold or not.

but i agree, no harm it trying.

OP
OP
D

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with Evil Ash. If we are going to offer Q the 7.5M, then we need to do that today. The Clips would then be in a very difficult situation because they have been saying behind the scenes that every move they have made in the past year or so is to sign Kobe. We may have an opportunity window to get a 24 year guy who scored 18 points and grabbed 6 boards a game for 7.5M! That sounds like a good business and good basketball decision to me. Offer Q today!

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
From ESPN

The Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Clippers restricted free agent guard Quentin Richardson have agreed on an offer sheet that will pay the 24-year-old, fourth-year guard between $48 and $50 million, league sources told ESPN's David Aldridge.

Quentin Richardson
Shooting Guard
Los Angeles Clippers

2003-2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
65 17.2 6.4 2.1 .398 .740

When Richardson signs the sheet the Clippers will have 15 days to match the offer. The sources said the contract also includes additional incentives.

Richardson visited the Denver Nuggets earlier in the free agent period and was one of the players in whom Denver had the most interest. However, the Nuggets have turned their attention to Lakers free agent Kobe Bryant and Spurs restricted free agent Manu Ginobili.

The Clippers have indicated that they'd like to keep Richardson, but it would be impossible for them to do and continue their pursuit of Bryant. Los Angeles matched offer sheets last summer for forwards Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, but allowed forward Lamar Odom to leave for the Miami Heat.

Phoenix had initially targeted Spurs restricted free agent Hedo Turkoglu, but negotiations stalled on Tuesday when Turkoglu rejected a six-year, $24 million offer. Turkoglu reached agreement with the Orlando Magic on Wednesday on a six-year deal for the full mid-level exception.

The Suns have already signed free agent Steve Nash guard to a six-year, $66 million deal; if the Clippers don't match Phoenix's offer for Richardson, the Suns would have one of the league's most dynamic guard rotations, along with third-year man Joe Johnson.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Donald Sterling isn't going to match a big offer for Q. No way. I just can't see it.

He matched Magette and Brand because he had to get over the cap minimum. He is still cheap and I doubt he thinks Q is the piece to the puzzle that will put them over the top.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Billythekid said:
From ESPN

The Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Clippers restricted free agent guard Quentin Richardson have agreed on an offer sheet that will pay the 24-year-old, fourth-year guard between $48 and $50 million, league sources told ESPN's David Aldridge.

YES!

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That definitely sends a signal that if it is not matched, there is a trade down the road for a center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
That definitely sends a signal that if it is not matched, there is a trade down the road for a center.

wow, paint me shocked. i hope that you're right. just doesn't make much sense to me to have jj AND q.

so now it's:

voskuhl/lampe
amare/sausage king
marion/zarko
jj/q/casey
nash/barbosa/eisley

man, if we can just turn jj or marion into a center! i'd love to see us send jj plus that chicago pick and eisley to the sixers for dalembert!

dalembert/voskuhl/lampe
amare/sausage king
marion/zarko
q/casey
nash/barbosa/eisley

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
I agree I think if Q signs, Marion will deffinately get moved with a pick for a center, who is the question?

maybe the dampier thing isn't outta the question? replace dalembert with dampier in my crew above. either way we're stocked. though i'd still prefer dalembert w/ his youth and ability to run the floor.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I know Marions contract sucks and all but I would MUCH rather he stay. JJ and Marion or Q and Marion is alot better IMO then Q and JJ.

Could we still sign Dice if we signed Q to this deal?

Q's shooting percentage isn't much chop... at 39% from the field... that is a little alarming for a SG.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Wow-I sure hope this goes through. We will have one fast, athletic team.
Just bring in any center (insert here) who can run the floor half way decent and we should be good to go.

If we signed Q, would will still have any left for Mcdyess?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Voshkul 26 minutes at C / Lampe 8 minutes at C/Vroman 6 minutes at C
Amare 30 minutes at PF 8 minutes at C/ Lampe 18 minutes at PF
Marion 30 minutes at SF 8 minutes at PF / Q-Rich 18 minutes at SF
Johnson 36 minutes at SG / Q-Rich 12 minutes at SG
Nash 30 minutes at PG / Barbosa 18 minutes at PG

Throw in a bit of Zarko at PF and C and maybe some more small ball. That's one heck of a small ball lineup though especially if you throw it against 2nd units or teams without a decent center.

Well the center spot could use some help. Even Scott Williams for a few minutes.

Lets just hope we can get McDyess back cheap and we will be in good shape.

Last edited: