QB 1 (?) Josh Dobbs

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dobbs is playing way above expectations.

I really hope the team can put it together this week and have another Cowboys like performance and get him another win.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the problem with Dobbs playing well is that Kyler has to be really good on return or we get worse.

What's tricky is that I think there are things Dobbs are better at than Kyler, staying in the pocket, standing tall under pressure, not afraid to take hits, throwing rhythm etc

Hard to criticise Dobbs play at the moment and he seems to be getting better every game

It allows us to not rush Kyler back. Best of both worlds.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted at the improvement from Dobbs, game 1 vs game 4. It is night and day.
You really shouldn't be. He's had an opportunity to practice 3x as much with his teammates, he's getting game plans tailored to his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses, and his confidence is growing.

Those improvements will start to diminish as the value of an additional practice starts to wane; it really goes to show that camp matters quite a bit.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't be. He's had an opportunity to practice 3x as much with his teammates, he's getting game plans tailored to his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses, and his confidence is growing.

Those improvements will start to diminish as the value of an additional practice starts to wane; it really goes to show that camp matters quite a bit.
And having an OC that plays to his QB's strengths...

Begs the question - why weren't the Cards more aggressive in signing him in the off-season?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who knew I needed someone else to have opinions for me?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, if I live another few years, my (when I was younger) height of 5'9 might reach the 5'5" level. At my latest physical I was 5'6.5. But I will say that is the least of my worries. :)
When the medical personnel ask me my height I just say 6ft last century and if you determine something different I don’t need to know as it provides no value to me:)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

we have gone from "Cardinals replacing Colt with Dobbs is proof they are tanking" to "How could the Browns give a good player away 'for nothing' "

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

we have gone from "Cardinals replacing Colt with Dobbs is proof they are tanking" to "How could the Browns give a good player away 'for nothing' "
It's funny that people actually used the Browns trading him as proof that he sucked. Ummm this is the Browns we are talking about. Joshua Dobbs has significantly outperformed Deshaun Watson this year.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny that people actually used the Browns trading him as proof that he sucked. Ummm this is the Browns we are talking about. Joshua Dobbs has significantly outperformed Deshaun Watson this year.
Just a little difference in salary :mrgreen:

You must be registered for see images attach

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He showed some serious balls today. He's playing so well that I'm starting to get worried Kyler's gonna disappoint us when he comes back.

Logic would dictate that if the scheming and play-calling is getting this much out of Dobbs they should get even more out of Kyler. Obviously we will have to wait and see on that, but I am certainly interested in seeing what this team can do with Kyler out there.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoy Dobbs while you can. Chances are he's not here next year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Great interview!

It's WAY early, but if Dobbs keeps playing this way he'll earn a Bridgewater/Brissett-like hybrid contract that pays him as a top backup with incentives for games started. It's hard to imagine a better fit for him than Arizona, either backing up the injury-prone Murray, or starting while a rookie QB learns the ropes from him.

Or perhaps you're right and some team will give him a huge bonus to be a starter, as the Panthers did for Bridgewater or the Colts for Brissett, and he'll be gone.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great interview!

It's WAY early, but if Dobbs keeps playing this way he'll earn a Bridgewater/Brissett-like hybrid contract that pays him as a top backup with incentives for games started. It's hard to imagine a better fit for him than Arizona, either backing up the injury-prone Murray, or starting while a rookie QB learns the ropes from him.

Or perhaps you're right and some team will give him a huge bonus to be a starter, as the Panthers did for Bridgewater or the Colts for Brissett, and he'll be gone.

I'd love him to stay. I just don't think we can afford a to have that much money in the QB room with Kylers deal. And they have Tune developing to take the backup role.

Some team drafting a rookie next year is going to see him as a viable bridge guy and premium clipboard holder while a rookie develops. Like Atlanta did last year with Mariota.

If he carries on playing like this I could see him getting $10m. I hope he does, easy guy to root for.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I like Dobbs. He looks like a starting QB on an NFL team. He’s 6-3 and can see over the scrum at the line. At 210, he looks sturdy enough to take hits, but elusive enough to tuck the ball and run. And he’s certainly smart enough to know how to operate an NFL offense. For the Cardinals, he’s not costing an arm and a leg. The player who is costing the team an arm and a leg is not on the field and may not be until much later in the season. I’m conflicted about Murray. He’s polar opposite Dobbs in almost every category I mentioned above. Might be wrong about this, but the new offense seems to require the QB to be under center most of the time. If true, Murray isn’t that guy moving forward. So what to do with Murray? Dobbs might not the the long-term answer for this team, but I’m thinking Murray isn’t either.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
eastcoastDave, not saying you're wrong, but Kyler's talent aside, I think that our offense still has MORE shotgun plays than under center. I say that without having any stats to back up my claim. Do you know?