QB Battle: Doug & Wolf

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The ultimate Cardinals sweetness. I downloaded TuneIn radio on my superphone, and can listen to Cardinals sports radio on the way home from work here in NJ.

Anyway, the word out of Doug & Wolf is that the reason the Cardinals still have a QB battle right now, and not a named starter is:

"Kevin Kolb has won the competition per practice performance, and John Skelton has won the competition per game performance."

Supposidely Skelton has been horrible in practice, and Kolb has been "acceptable".

As for the games? Well, the fans get to watch the games so we know the story there.

Interesting....................

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was at the only evening practice in Flagstaff on August 1st. I thought that Kolb looked horrible. He played just like he has in the games. Skelton looked much better. His only problem was some of his throws too high. Of course that is only one practice.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Games are what matters. Kolb collapses in the face of a rush - practice simply can't generate that same fear in him.

Case is closed on Kolb becasue of it, as well.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Sounds like Whiz is trying to find anyway he can to justify Kolb as a starting QB and to not name a starter until the last second.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think it's inevitable that, unless he gets hurt, JS will be named the starter. Everything else is just filler until the start of the season. It definitely is a good storyline to keep everyone intrigued and on their toes.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think it's inevitable that, unless he gets hurt, JS will be named the starter. Everything else is just filler until the start of the season. It definitely is a good storyline to keep everyone intrigued and on their toes.

Nice Avatar!

I agree with it too.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Truth...

With Rigby love the avatar....

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Of course Kolb can perform in practice! He knows the pass rush (if there even is one in the drill) won't result in him getting hit.

I've also noticed that Kolb starts out a game okay. But once he takes that first hit, he's done. Hey, maybe he should start every game until he takes that hit! Then we yank him for Skelton.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Give me the gamer everytime...Hell, when I was in college running track I used to get beat by several teammates in performance, yet when a real race would happen I would beat them by 2, 3, 4, and 5 seconds in the 800m.

BLOK is the NFL QB equivalent of that guy at the gym warming up for a pickup basketball game stroking threes and 18 ft jumpers, but when live action happens and folks are in his face he panics and tosses bricks like frisbees.:bang::bang::bang:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sounds like Whiz is trying to find anyway he can to justify Kolb as a starting QB and to not name a starter until the last second.

B.S.

No one knows who Whisenhunt wants to start. I'd wager he is towing the company line and giving the pretense of a competition. Kolb is done, even the towel boy knows that.

The hate for the best coach in Arizona Cardinals history is ridiculous. It should be obvious to anyone following this team for more than a few years that this organization still isn't operating at the same level as some of our competitors. The recent changes to our front office are indicative of the failures of the scouting staff (pro and college).

Last I checked Whisenhunt doesn't scout players, and the primary issues on this team are talent related.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Give me the gamer everytime...Hell, when I was in college running track I used to get beat by several teammates in performance, yet when a real race would happen I would beat them by 2, 3, 4, and 5 seconds in the 800m.

BLOK is the NFL QB equivalent of that guy at the gym warming up for a pickup basketball game stroking threes and 18 ft jumpers, but when live action happens and folks are in his face he panics and tosses bricks like frisbees.:bang::bang::bang:

God we are screwed; we have a "coward" and a "gamer" (who posts a 68 QB rating).

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Of course Kolb can perform in practice! He knows the pass rush (if there even is one in the drill) won't result in him getting hit.

I've also noticed that Kolb starts out a game okay. But once he takes that first hit, he's done. Hey, maybe he should start every game until he takes that hit! Then we yank him for Skelton.

Sounds like a plan! 'Specially since Skelton has been erratic for the first three quarters. ;)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
B.S.

No one knows who Whisenhunt wants to start. I'd wager he is towing the company line and giving the pretense of a competition. Kolb is done, even the towel boy knows that.

The hate for the best coach in Arizona Cardinals history is ridiculous. It should be obvious to anyone following this team for more than a few years that this organization still isn't operating at the same level as some of our competitors. The recent changes to our front office are indicative of the failures of the scouting staff (pro and college).

Last I checked Whisenhunt doesn't scout players, and the primary issues on this team are talent related.

I continue to be baffled that you think that the best coach in Arizona Cardinals history has little or even no control over the talent that gets brought in to this team. Don't you think that the Head Coach has direct input into at least the top 3 picks that a team makes in the draft? Do you think that after the Anderson debacle that the front office doesn't give the head coach even more input into who he has playing under center?

In most organizations, the head coach is able to evaluate the top 50 or so players on the draft board, and then the scouting staff takes over and has a lot more of the input on the later guys. I'm surprised that you're happy to credit Whis for guys like LSH, Acho, Toler, Hightower, etc., but the first and second round disasters are out of his hands.

Top free agent targets have a lot of input from the coaching staff. Bottom-of-the-roster guys are usually the scouting departments' fault.

It's amazing that you think that the most successful head coach in the organization's history probably isn't also the most powerful since at least Buddy Ryan.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wolfs like the deep thoughts guy from SNL with his Haikus and stupid faux-profound warrior poems. Its so obnoxious I want to puke. I cant stand listening to his show anymore.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ultimate Cardinals sweetness. I downloaded TuneIn radio on my superphone, and can listen to Cardinals sports radio on the way home from work here in NJ.

Anyway, the word out of Doug & Wolf is that the reason the Cardinals still have a QB battle right now, and not a named starter is:

"Kevin Kolb has won the competition per practice performance, and John Skelton has won the competition per game performance."

Supposidely Skelton has been horrible in practice, and Kolb has been "acceptable".

As for the games? Well, the fans get to watch the games so we know the story there.

This is exactly what I have seen.

Kolb is clearly the better QB in practice. Enough so that you see why the Cards made the trade for him.

Then the game starts and he loses all composure.

Unless practice completions start carrying over to games, Skelton should be the guy.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I think it is more or less a done deal that Skelton will be the starter. All the internet gurus are saying the same thing. From what I see on TV of Kolb he look skittish and terrible. Even an opposing player from another team said he was already worried about the rush the second the ball came out. I also think every Card fan on this board hoped Kolb would be our QBOTF and we are neither Kolb or Skelton fans. We just want our best QB on the field to win games no matter who he is. None of us know them personally so it is a matter of performance.

As a team we have had a sorry history in selecting QBs. Seems I recall we passed on Big Ben. Our selection of Leinart met all our approval but I did wonder why 11 teams would pass on this highly rated QB? Then along comes Tanneyhill who is not thought much of and is the starter right out of the gate. The only thing we seem to have done right with QB's is signing Warner which was mostly a matter of luck. If Kolb or Skelton does not impress this year we will likely end up with an older QB from some other team unit we draft low enough to once again get a shot at a good QB. We all would like to know the process by which we select players. We really do not even know who is the driving force behind these selections. It would normally be a GM but the Cards do not operate under "normally". Success starts and ends at the top. Is it not amazing that the Colts one of the most successful football franchises for many years ends up with Luck and Denver ends up with apparently rejuvenated Peyton Manning.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
B.S.

I think Whiz is man enough to start whoever he thinks gives them the best chance of winning. If he lets management start telling him who to play he might as well resign. I will go with who ever he selects as he probably know better than anyone. If politics becomes part of who starts then we are doomed for ever. That goes against all business practices of authority and responsibility. How dumb would it be to start the second best QB? Do you want the second best pilot flying you into a bad weather low ceiling approach. I do not think so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05