Questions loom on Cardinals offense

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Outlook hazy on ability of new backfield

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

First in a series looking at Cardinals positions heading to training camp, which opens Aug. 1. Today: offensive backfield.

Depending on whom you ask, the backfield is either solid or a mess.

Starting quarterback Kurt Warner has shown he can play close to an elite level when given time in the pocket. But when that time decreases, his decision-making and accuracy stray. His leadership skills are unquestioned, but he has yet to show great zip on the ball since joining the Cardinals.

Josh McCown led the team within a game of .500 after nine games last season before suddenly being benched. His arm may never be as accurate and his trophy shelf may never be as full as Warner's, but he's smart and mobile.

If a strong arm and a statuesque frame were all you needed in today's NFL, John Navarre would be winning Super Bowls. Navarre needs more experience on top of more experience, plus an offensive line that is built like the Great Wall.

Free-agent rookie quarterback Tim Chang is vying for a practice-squad spot.

All indications point to rookie J.J. Arrington starting in coach Dennis Green's one-back, three-receiver set. Arrington has great speed, shiftiness and hands. He's short (5 foot 9) but stocky (214 pounds). He has speed running to the outside, but can he take the pounding running inside as an every-down back for 16 games?

That's where Marcel Shipp comes in. Shipp has the experience and the proven desire to ground out yards inside. Training camp will show whether he's 100 percent recovered from major knee and ankle injuries.

Unless Troy Hambrick shows up at Flagstaff with a rock-hard body and 4.3 speed, his voluntary camp no-shows bode well for the other four backs who are trying to earn a roster spot.

The fullback position won't be used much, but Obafemi Ayanbadejo's versatility gives him the edge over James Hodgins for any playing time.

Impact player

Arrington. The rookie is a threat at the receiving end of a handoff and a pass. Rookie running backs adapt to the NFL easier than any other position. Without a proven pass-catching tight end, Arrington will become Warner's safety net on dump-off passes.

Keep an eye on
McCown. If the offensive line doesn't improve, Warner will be knocked around. Green won't hesitate to promote McCown, an experienced quarterback who can move his feet and escape trouble. McCown's ongoing development may be as important as Warner's possible resurgence.

Monday: receivers.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0724cardsbackfield0724.html

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Starting quarterback Kurt Warner has shown he can play close to an elite level when given time in the pocket. But when that time decreases, his decision-making and accuracy stray. His leadership skills are unquestioned, but he has yet to show great zip on the ball since joining the Cardinals.

First of all when his time decreases his accuracy does not stray. He had 63% accuracy last year in his biggest test ever in decreasing time. He may hold on to the ball to long but his accuracy nevers fails him. And not showing zip on the ball seems to be the opposite of everything we have heard in mini camps from other reporters and the players catching the balls.

Josh McCown led the team within a game of .500 after nine games last season before suddenly being benched. His arm may never be as accurate and his trophy shelf may never be as full as Warner's, but he's smart and mobile.
:biglaugh:
All indications point to rookie J.J. Arrington starting in coach Dennis Green's one-back, three-receiver set. Arrington has great speed, shiftiness and hands. He's short (5 foot 9) but stocky (214 pounds). He has speed running to the outside, but can he take the pounding running inside as an every-down back for 16 games?

I dont know about doing it 16 games in the NFL but between the tackles is where most of his yards came in college.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that is going to be hazy on opening night is Eli Manning on his back and me and my brothers drunk arses celebrating.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Who is this guy. He sounds like a McCown fan.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Warner will not have a short leash. Green is committed to him unless he gets hurt.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Warner will not have a short leash. Green is committed to him unless he gets hurt.

He was committed to McCown last year, right up to the point where he benched him.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Big difference is that Warner is a vet who has proven himself. McCown wasn't and still hasn't.

Unless Warner looks like Sean King, he will play every game unless hurt.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Unless Warner looks like Sean King, he will play every game unless hurt.

Who knows which way Green rolls on the QB? :shrug: I wouldn't be surprised if something strange happened this year and he was benched a game or two...

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
If Warner is benched for anything other than an injury it will only be a one year deal for him. I expect him to step it up and be very good. Not great, but better than anything the Cards have had in years.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The point is Denny says a lot of things but he reserves the right to change his mind.

I agree that Warner will probably be given all the leash he needs to excel or hang himself.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
He was committed to McCown last year, right up to the point where he benched him.

Yeah, at 10 games in. That's over half the season.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I don't get local Cards news so can someone tell me why Josh was benched when we 4-5? Also, I think after that fiasco DG may have learned his lesson.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I don't get local Cards news so can someone tell me why Josh was benched when we 4-5? Also, I think after that fiasco DG may have learned his lesson.

Green was embarassed by 90 yards passing against the Giants and thought we would not be a playoff team with that sort of production. Even though we won that game. He thought he'd have to make a change eventually, so he went sooner rather than later.

And no, I don't think he learned his lesson. There's no doubt in my mind he'd do it again. He'd just hope he had a better backup this time who wouldn't make him look bad.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Green was embarassed by 90 yards passing against the Giants and thought we would not be a playoff team with that sort of production. Even though we won that game. He thought he'd have to make a change eventually, so he went sooner rather than later.

And no, I don't think he learned his lesson. There's no doubt in my mind he'd do it again. He'd just hope he had a better backup this time who wouldn't make him look bad.

This time we do have a better back-up, but you are correct DG has been famous for switching QBs. He had like 6 QBs in his years in Minny.