Ramos

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peter Ramos from Puerto Rico was taken #33 in this year's draft immediately after Phoenix's #32 draft pick, Jackson Vroman. Apparently, last week he put up some gaudy numbers in three scrimmages against United States including one game in which he scored 34 points. Peter Ramos is 7-3, 260 pounds and 19 years old. If he is even a serviceable center this year the Phoenix Suns will look like a complete idiots for passing on him. Let's face it. At best Vroman is a smallish, backup power forward.

Joe Mama

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
The key word is scrimmage. I am not about to say that the Suns made a mistake on drafting Vroman based on a couple of scrimmages.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
We're talking about the guy who has the same standing reach as Okafor and Dwight Howard, but his vertical jump is a foot shorter, right?

I guess you can carry a torch for Ramos if you'd like--hey, I'm still on the Andriuskevicius bandwagon myself--but there's no point in denigrating Vroman. Vroman sounds like a young Bo Outlaw to me, and it's tough to argue that the Suns can't use someone like that...

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
We're talking about the guy who has the same standing reach as Okafor and Dwight Howard, but his vertical jump is a foot shorter, right?

I guess you can carry a torch for Ramos if you'd like--hey, I'm still on the Andriuskevicius bandwagon myself--but there's no point in denigrating Vroman. Vroman sounds like a young Bo Outlaw to me, and it's tough to argue that the Suns can't use someone like that...

Where in my Post does it say or even indicate that I'm "carrying a torch" for Ramos? I said that he put up some good numbers in three scrimmages against the USA team. I said that if he is even a serviceable center this year the Suns made a mistake passing on him.

Vroman looked more like the Jake Voskuhl version of a forward to me.

OT: is anybody else watching this Germany versus USA basketball game? I said yesterday that the officiating favored Italy in that game. However I didn't think it was the difference in the game. So far this game is definitely being affected by the officiating. It has been incredibly lopsided in favor of the Germans. Half of the German team should be in foul trouble already.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Where in my Post does it say or even indicate that I'm "carrying a torch" for Ramos? I said that he put up some good numbers in three scrimmages against the USA team. I said that if he is even a serviceable center this year the Suns made a mistake passing on him.

No offense was intended, Joe. Scout's honor! :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just for the record, as anyone in the chat room will remember, I was pleading for the Suns to get Ramos from about the 25th pick onward.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There wasn't much in the scouting reports to convince me that Ramos would be a big contributor this season. He seems like he has some potential, but unless he is a lot better than he was billed, I was not convinced he would do much right away.

Vroman is the "type" of player that the Suns like. High energy, very aggressive, and a better rebounder than Outlaw. Ramos may show some potential, but I predict that Vroman will get more minutes with the Suns than Ramos will with the Wizzards.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Once David Harrison went (IRRC he went three spots above him), I was pleading the suns to take ramos. I mean the man is 7-3 and he isnt skinny as hell. he probably has a higher vertical then Voskuhl, Ramos could have been a good third string center.

All it looks like vroman is a high energy mini jake voskuhl.

karesk

Reaction score
I don't know if anybody is confused at all but Ramos played against USA U-20 team in Nova Scotia. He joined Puerto Rico NT now and played his first game against Spain but they lost to Spain 113-62.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
Once David Harrison went (IRRC he went three spots above him), I was pleading the suns to take ramos. I mean the man is 7-3 and he isnt skinny as hell. he probably has a higher vertical then Voskuhl, Ramos could have been a good third string center.

All it looks like vroman is a high energy mini jake voskuhl.

Why do people keep comparing Vroman to Voskuhl? Vroman's style is much more like Outlaw and Harvey - except that he has a reputation for being a relentless rebounder. Jake gets a fair number of rebounds, but they are almost all position rebounds rather than ones he gets by fighting for them.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
karesk said:
I don't know if anybody is confused at all but Ramos played against USA U-20 team in Nova Scotia. He joined Puerto Rico NT now and played his first game against Spain but they lost to Spain 113-62.

Wow, PR got demolished. I guess they know what a real Olympic basketball team looks like, now. :(

Is that Marc Gasol leading the way for Spain, or his skinny older brother?

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just for the record, as anyone in the chat room will remember, I was pleading for the Suns to get Ramos from about the 25th pick onward.

Ah well, it's probably better than your surprise pick of Malicke Badiane last year. :)