Ranking top 5 rookie running backs by who will be most productive in 2024: Trey Benson leads the way

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It makes sense. A professional should not start an article with one word and a comma. Why create a pause when you just got started? It's a mess, like you said.
It doesn’t make sense, because in fact, no running backs were taken in the first round of the NFL draft.

As the lede to a news article, it makes zero sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It makes sense. A professional should not start an article with one word and a comma. Why create a pause when you just got started? It's a mess, like you said.
It is not correct as it changes the meaning of the sentence. Now it reads as: "No, running backs were taken at the top..." as if it were an argumentative statement.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense, because in fact, no running backs were taken in the first round of the NFL draft.

As the lede to a news article, it makes zero sense.
Right. "Let's eat, grandma!" is not the same as Let's eat grandma!" The meaning flips because of the comma placement. The article isn't grammatically correct because the meaning is changed. If the argument is could it be grammatically correct regardless of change in meaning, sure.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, is this still a thing? There is a whole lot more things grammatically wrong on here than this. :rolleyes: I guess people just like to argue for the sake of arguing on here. Can’t wait until football season really starts so we can get into meat and potatoes arguing.

:moon:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Kerouac here. The comma throws all sense out the window. If the word was WEREN'T it would be better. The pause by the comma ruins the point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Commas also have the meaning to pause, as well as contrast. In fact, commas has close to 10 different usages in English.

It is grammatically correct.
The pause flips the meaning of the sentence. It is not grammatically correct for the meaning of the sentence. There’s no such thing as a pause without purpose grammatically.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Right. "Let's eat, grandma!" is not the same as Let's eat grandma!" The meaning flips because of the comma placement. The article isn't grammatically correct because the meaning is changed. If the argument is could it be grammatically correct regardless of change in meaning, sure.
Grammar, to me, are the rules of language. Syntax is how language makes meaning.

With and without comma the sentences are grammatical, in that they follow the rules. If you diagram the sentences, their very different meanings become clear.

I, disagree with, the idea that, you can, insert commas, wherever you’d, like to, pause, though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by how the RB room is going to operate.

If Benson is as advertised then it's possibly the best running back room the Cardinals have had for some time.

JC has a YPA of 5 and Michael Carter had 6.8 YPA on 22 carries. And now you add benson. Are we going to rush more?

While we were very efficient at running last year we were not especially high run rate, coming in at 12th in rushing and 18th in passing, fairly average with a slight rushing bias.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pause flips the meaning of the sentence. It is not grammatically correct for the meaning of the sentence. There’s no such thing as a pause without purpose grammatically.
Pause for dramatic effect is a purpose. It is grammatically correct. I can argue this one all day.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The claim was that it's a typo, which it clearly is. If it IS grammatically correct, then it's factually incorrect.
I thought there was a typo, and the comma. Not that it matters though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not grammatically correct for what the writer is trying to say. If he was saying the opposite, it would be correct.
The sentence standing alone is correct, that's all I was arguing.

Training camp can't get here soon enough.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by how the RB room is going to operate.

If Benson is as advertised then it's possibly the best running back room the Cardinals have had for some time.

JC has a YPA of 5 and Michael Carter had 6.8 YPA on 22 carries. And now you add benson. Are we going to rush more?

While we were very efficient at running last year we were not especially high run rate, coming in at 12th in rushing and 18th in passing, fairly average with a slight rushing bias.
The NFL average was 42.5% rushing. The cards were 44.1% rushing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pause for dramatic effect is a purpose. It is grammatically correct. I can argue this one all day.
First, “pausing for dramatic effect” is not a grammatical tool. It is a speaking tool. And even where a writer is trying to convey that they don’t use a comma, the use “. . . “.

In this instance the comma is improper usage because it literally flips the meaning of the intended sentence. I could argue this all day . . . and I’d be right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, “pausing for dramatic effect” is not a grammatical tool. It is a speaking tool.

Yeah, the comma itself is the grammatical tool. Talk about symantics.

In this instance the comma is improper usage because it literally flips the meaning of the intended sentence. I could argue this all day . . . and I’d be right.
You either didn't see my initial argument, or are ignoring it.

I stated that it is grammatically correct to have a comma after the first word of a sentence, which others argued against. I also used an example about a pause for dramatic effect, which IS grammatically correct.

That's it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I also used an example about a pause for dramatic effect, which IS grammatically correct.
A pause, for dramatic effect alone, is not grammatical. It can’t, cover up other, grammatical errors. You can’t cover up a comma splice, and say it’s for dramatic effect.

That’s why, misplaced commas are a thing.