O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shell arrested for cocaine use

Senta Scarborough, Richard Obert and Josh Kelley
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 30, 2005 03:55 PM

MESA - The head coach of the Arizona Rattlers arena football team admitted snorting cocaine behind a Mesa business early Tuesday and faces possible drug charges, police said.

Todd Shell was shirtless and sweating profusely when an officer found him pacing around his Land Cruiser about 1 a.m. behind a business near Ivy Street and Greenfield Road, Mesa police Detective Tim Gaffney said.

Shell told the officer he owned the business and kept looking north. When the officer asked why he was looking in that direction, Shell told him he was alone but said a "guy wearing camouflage is in the tree," police said. The officer found no one else in the area. advertisement

"We're surprised," said Rattlers General Manager and Vice President Gene Nudo. "We're going to deal with the situation accordingly once we have all the facts. It wouldn't be appropriate to comment beyond that."

Owner Bob Hernreich, who came in a year after Shell was hired as head coach of the Rattlers, said, "Right now, we're just trying to see what information we've got and go from there."

The Rattlers finished 7-9 in Shell's first season, missing the playoffs for the first time since the team's inaugural 1992 season. Shell won two Super Bowl rings as a linebacker with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s and starred at Mesa Mountain View High in the late 1970s, before playing at Brigham Young University.

"I'm really sorry to hear that," said Jesse Parker, who coached Shell at Mountain View and now coaches at Gilbert High. "It's unbelievable, because of the kind of person he's always been.

"He was a special kid. I hope he gets some help."

Mesa police discovered Shell had an outstanding warrant for his arrest issued by Gilbert Municipal Court for failing to comply with terms of probation because of a failed summons attempt, according to court documents.

Shell plead guilty in July 2004 to an Extreme DUI citation that he received Dec. 27, 2003, in Gilbert. Police pulled Shell over and conducted a breath test on him that indicated his blood-alcohol content was between .17 and .175, according to a police report.

Mesa police officer Mike Duke arrested and searched Shell and found a white substance believed to be cocaine in a clear bag along with a red straw with white powder inside the pockets of his shorts. He also had an Arizona Rattlers identification card in his pocket.

At first, Shell, 43, of Mesa, said he found the bag in the parking lot but later admitted the substance, which he identified as cocaine, was his. He said he had an "eight ball," or an eighth of an ounce.

Shell told the officer he went behind the business to use the cocaine, and told the officer he had only used cocaine three times and he had obtained the drug from a friend.

After arresting Shell, Mesa police turned him over to Gilbert police. Shell later posted a $1,000 bond and was released.

Mesa police are expected to submit possible charges of possession of narcotic drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office for review pending drug test results.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I went to high school with kids from his family, hardcore Mormons

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I went to high school with kids from his family, hardcore Mormons

Drugs, alcohol, I guess he is not a good mormon. They should of never gotten rid of Danny White.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I wonder if the Diamondbacks and Rattlers use the same company for background checks.

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Shell resigns as head coach of Rattlers

Shell resigns as head coach of Rattlers
By Darren Urban, Tribune
September 1, 2005

Shell
Arizona Rattlers coach Todd Shell, who was arrested earlier this week by Mesa police on an outstanding warrant and found with a substance he told police was cocaine, resigned his position Thursday.

General manager Gene Nudo accepted the resignation.

“Obviously, I’m not clicking my heels over this,” Nudo said. “He is a good man who knows he made a mistake.”

Nudo said the team already has a short list of possible replacements, both within the current coaching staff and outside the team. He said the Rattlers should have a new coach in place by next week at the latest. The team has a tryout camp scheduled for Sept. 25, and the free-agent period is also underway.

“It’s hard to talk to free agents when they don’t know where the leadership will be coming from.”

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake