Ray Lewis to Arizona?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ray Lewis has recently said that is is unhappy being in Baltimore, and wants out...

According to ESPN, Baltimore has not recieved more than a second round pick for Lewis, so that got me thinking...

Adding Lewis to our defense, would propel us into a top 5 defense in the league..

He would be a force in the middle, while being able to teach Dansby a thing or to. And would be a BIG NAME to sell tickets next season (everyone wants to see Ray Lewis play)!

Futhermore, although he has a reputation of being a bit of a thug (or murderer), I believe all those things are in his past, and for the last three years has been reltively perfect.

He would give us a SOLID veteran Leader on defense, and would be HUGE FOR US.....

The scernio that I came up with that I believe would work for both teams:

Cardinals Trade: Bryant Johnson
2nd Round Pick

Cardinals Recieve: Ray Lewis
4th Round Pick

The Cardinals get a pro bowl MLB, to anchor the defense, and an extra 4th round, (maybe a small school WR), while getting rid of Johnson... meanwhile The Ravens get a burner WR, to pair with Mason, and a 2nd round pick, which they could turn into getting a younger, Albeit, less talented LB...

I think it could be a win win for both teams, and I think it is DEFINTLY worth looking into...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
1. Havent really been paying attention to Ray Lewis. Is he even still any good. Good enough for a 2nd rounder?

2. If the ravens have only been offered a 2nd rounder why offer more then a 2nd ounder. Just do a 2nd for Ray straight up and keep BJ who is better then any 4th rounder we could get I would believe.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would offer a 3rd but not our 2nd where you could easily find a solid starter or contributor right away.

OP
OP
AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I understood it reading it... They weren't satiesfied with just a second rounder, and wanted more...

This year he got injured, but in 6 games he had 46 tackles (almost 8 tackles a game)... and his stats the last two years:

2003- 16 Games-- 161 Tackles (over 10 Tackles per Game)

2004- 15 Games-- 146 Tackles (just under 10 Tackles Per Game)

But what he does even more, is takes the pressure off everyone else, instead of defenses keying in on Wilson, they will have to adjust to Lewis, and we still have our Pass rushers on the ends... We would be a SERIOUS defense, with Lewis... even though he is 30, he has another 3-4 good years because of how well he keeps in shape...I personally think he is definently worth the risk!

HooverDam

Reaction score
It may be because I grew up as a fan of the Colagnelo ran Suns, but I dont want a guy like Lewis on my team. Let "The Knife" play somewhere else.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I dont think Baltimore would swap their premier defensive player for a no-name 3rd string receiver, even for a 2nd/4th round swap. But thats just a guess.

spanky1

Reaction score
Ray Lewis can no longer roam freely from sideline to sideline without sizeable tackles upfront....this is simply a fact.

Bertrand Berry is our Defensive leader.....the old saying of too many cook's in the kitchen has validity here. Dansby doesn't need a mentor.

He is entering his 11th year and the injuries are piling up now.

He is not worth a 2nd rounder at this stage in his career. If he had much more to offer, would you think that the Ravens would be trying to move him?

Bryant Johnson plays a role in this team's offense. He is as good a #3 WR as there is and he doesn't cost us a lot in salary cap. While I would consider trading him for the right draft choice, I wouldn't include him in a trade as a throw in.

Ray Lewis.......not in my mind.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Ray Lewis can no longer roam freely from sideline to sideline without sizeable tackles upfront....this is simply a fact.

Bertrand Berry is our Defensive leader.....the old saying of too many cook's in the kitchen has validity here. Dansby doesn't need a mentor.

He is not worth a 2nd rounder at this stage in his career. If he had much more to offer, would you think that the Ravens would be trying to move him?

Bryant Johnson plays a role in this team's offense. He is as good a #3 WR as there is and he doesn't cost us a lot in salary cap. While I would consider trading him for the right draft choice, I wouldn't include him in a trade as a throw in.

I'm in agreement with you. From everything that I have read, he is not the same player anymore. I think injuries and age may have caught up with him. IMO best to pass on him.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I read that Lewis's tackle stats have been greatly inflated by the hometown statisticians as of late. He is definitely not the dominant force he once was. Not worth a 2nd IMO.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hmmm.

Gerald Hayes or Ray Lewis?

I think I will go with Ray Lewis regardless of his age.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't trade for him because I think that he will be cut due to salary considerations. I would sign him but not trade.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
seesred said:
How about a fourth pick for him? I wouldn't give up the number two for Ray Lewis.

GBR

That would never happen in akabazillion gazillion years, but if the Ravens would accept I wouyld definately make the trade.

Ray would not be used to well in our D, we don't have the DTs to keep the OL off of him. That is why the Ravens switched to a 4-6, so Ray could continue to roam.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I agree, Big.

Not only that, you don't want too many chiefs and not enough indians. I'm not sure how comftable the leaders of this team would be in bringing in a Ray Lewis.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd be leery of any trade with Denny doing a very good job on draft day, I mean, three years ago would we have thought that we'd have one of the best young linebackers in the whole league (and I'm not exagerating, how great is that?!)?
Lewis is a viable talent and if he came along at a bargain (not right price, a bargain) than I'd be intrested to see Arizona's reaction. Depth is always great, as is experience, which can never be overrated.
In the right situation?
:bhiich:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
spanky1 said:

I got to say, I usually don't like the way you present your arguements, I don't like the way you demean other posters (like your opinion is gospel), but I gotta say I am in complete agreement with you on this one.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i can't believe what i am reading. people don't want ray lewis on this team. he is one of the greatest football players of all time. to get a player of his caliber on this team for a 2nd round pick is a no brainer. everyone needs to realize what kind of player lewis is and what kind of positive effect he would have on this team. lewis is a true leader. he does what is best for the team. he is not a t.o. kind of person. without of doubt go after ray lewis.

spanky1

Reaction score
vinnymac said:
i can't believe what i am reading. people don't want ray lewis on this team. he is one of the greatest football players of all time. to get a player of his caliber on this team for a 2nd round pick is a no brainer. everyone needs to realize what kind of player lewis is and what kind of positive effect he would have on this team. lewis is a true leader. he does what is best for the team. he is not a t.o. kind of person. without of doubt go after ray lewis.

Well it is obvious that you are in a minority here. I could care less that he was ONCE a great football player (and the operative word is once). He isn't now. This team does not need "once a king". Leadership with diminishing skills is Brett Favre........would you suggest we bring him in as our QB.

The Cardinals are not a team that needs a "quick fix" player.

Without a doubt.......pass on Ray Lewis.

Reaction score
vinnymac said:
SuperSpck said:
Lewis is a viable talent and if he came along at a bargain (not right price, a bargain) than I'd be intrested to see Arizona's reaction. Depth is always great, as is experience, which can never be overrated.
I think Lewis would be a great addition to the Cardinals D, even with lessening skills. The problem however is that in trading for Lewis you take on his contract which I understand to be very large number and the reason that the Ravens are looking to make a trade to begin with.

Lewis won't come cheap, and most likely not even at a resonable amount and for that reason and that reason alone I say, " Pass!."

Last edited:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
vinnymac said:

:thumbup:

I agree.

I disagree with those that say he is a player of diminishing talent. He has had some injury issues over the past two years, not a talent issue. If he is healthy, he is as good as or better than any other MLB in the game. His leadership ability is unquestioned.

If you asked me if I would want Favre right now- absolutely not. He has too many off-field things he is concerned about right now and he has said that he's not sure he wants the ball down by 6 points with 2 minutes and no TOs. He's not mentally ready to play the game. Ray Lewis is.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diminishing talent ot no, this is the type of player that likely would cause a Bidwill veto of Denny's wishes...assuming Denny even wants the guy.

As for me, I take Lewis if he can play OL.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ray Lewis may not be one of the top five MLB's in the league anymore, but thats relative as i think he would be the MLB we have had since a healthy Eric Hill played here. So production wise, i think he would be an upgrade over the oft injured question mark that is Gerald Hayes.

But thats not why you sign Ray Lewis. There are two reasons you sign Ray and actual production takes a back seat.

#1 - Have you ever seen Ray Lewis on NFL films? have you seen the way his teammates revere him? Have you seen how he took Ed Reed under his wings and through camradaire and film study, turned him into one of the best safties in the NFL? Lewis is one of the best leaders the NFL has ever seen, and he holds guys accountable. He is more likely to make a stirring speech than make a game changing pick nowadays, but both are important to success. He would serve as a mentor for Karlos Dansby, Rolle (both being from the "U") and Wilson. He would be highly motivated and having a lot to prove, i think he would have his best season over the last three years. Him and Berry would be a "good cop - bad cop" kind of leadership tandem, and i think he is exactly what our team needs. A winner.

For that aspect alone its a no brainer.

#2 - Like it or not, hes a big name and will help sell tickets. Its debatable how much he has left but fans who are cursory NFL fans will be interested by his presence. He sells the Cardinal name, gives us credibility, and that is part of the front offices thinking in every decision made this off season

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
I think Lewis would be a great addition to the Cardinals D, even with lessening skills. The problem however is that in trading for Lewis you take on his contract which I understand to be very large number and the reason that the Ravens are looking to make a trade to begin with.

Lewis won't come cheap, and most likely not even at a resonable amount and for that reason and that reason alone I say, " Pass!."

Thats why they are going to CUT him