RB and Shelton Thoughts

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
Edgerin James...way too expensive...and risky.
What's the risk with James? That he'll only rush for 1300 yards as a cardinal? The horror. The horror.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Pariah said:
What's the risk with James? That he'll only rush for 1300 yards as a cardinal? The horror. The horror.

I'm assuming he's talking about James' past knee problems.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
They did not sign Ross to that deal with even the slightest intention of playing him at G.

Exactly...

IF Shelton is back...he is the RG and I think he is much better there than at RT.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Pariah said:

There is a risk with every single player in every sport.

One minute your on top of the world and a possilbe #1 pick, playing your last game as a college senior. The very next play you blow out your knee and you almost lose everything.

It has worked out for McGahee but every play could be the last play for anyone.

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
en fuego: I think L.J. Shelton is getting a bum rap here. The guy played his best football two years ago despite the fact that the Cardinals were out of the playoff race by mid-season. No one had to stay on him then. In fact, he played through a bad ankle injury and played hard.

Some might argue that he played hard because he was in a contract year. However, Shelton could have played the market for all it was worth, especially coming off a strong 2003 performance. He elected to re-sign with the Cardinals, thus forgoing the opportunity to test the market. It was exemplary loyalty on Shelton's part. When others couldn't wait to get out of Dodge, Shelton was staying.

In comes Denny Green and he wanted all players to be at minicamps in mid-season shape. Shelton was coming off surgeries, and yes had gained a little extra weight. Because he was unable to participate in the mini-camps at 100% he was ostracized by Green...and relegated to 2nd string, while Leonard Davis, coming off a very disappointing 2003 season was promoted to starting LT and while perennial underachiever, Anthony Clement, was drawing praise as the starting RT.

The fact that Shelton is receiving avid interest from a handful of teams, is no surprise. He's a very solid LT. A better than average pass protector from the LT position and in 2003, his run blocking improved significantly. He's a real pro...has a very positive attitude...he's not a malcontent in the least...if he was, he would have never chosen to re-sign with the Cardinals...or battled his way back from humiliation and painful injuries this past season.

I know that because of DGs prowess as a recruiter and the splash he's made this off-season already in terms of adding personnel, that most people think he's a genius right now. I am delighted with his recruiting ability like everyone else, but I think he's missing the boat on Shelton.

I can see why DG would trade the oft-injured Duane Starks...who was essentially beaten out by Renaldo Hill last season until Hill was injured. But, in Shelton's case, he has a quality player who is already self-motivated.

We fans were here before DG. We saw Shelton bust his butt and play hard and well when there was nothing but pride to play for. I, for one, choose not to forget how well and hard he played in 2003. And I was ecstatic that Shelton chose to stay with the Cardinals. I will be very disappointed to see him go, regardless of what the Cardinals get.

And I would just add that yesterday the Ravens acquired Oliver Ross' linemate G Keydrick Vincent for dirt cheap...something like 3 yrs @ 4.5M with a $1.2M signing bonus. Man, what a missed opportunity for the Cardinals.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
We fans were here before DG. We saw Shelton bust his butt and play hard and well when there was nothing but pride to play for. I, for one, choose not to forget how well and hard he played in 2003. And I was ecstatic that Shelton chose to saty with the Cardinals. I will be very disappointed to see him go, regardless of what the Cardinals get.

But we fans are not there for offseason workouts, practices, and conversations that DG is privy to.

DG is not going to get rid of Shelton for no reason.

Don't forget that our oline with Shelton, Big, Grutt, Kendall, and Clement was one of the highest paid lines and one of the worst producing.

Kendall was a better G than C, that is they guy we should have kept, IMO.

Tim

Reaction score
Hopefully Shelton is motivated as we speak. If he wasn't traded or cut, and he came into camp in tip top shape, there's no way Green wouldn't find a place for him to start. He's too good.

My worry is that he thinks of himself as a LT only. Hopefully the prestige that comes from playing the position isn't feeding his ego. I really think that Davis is the better LT going forward, so I agree with Green's decision to make that move. There is definately a place for LJ on this line if he and Green don't let egos get in the way.

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
IMHO I see Shelton as the 6th man in the rotation. He is at least capable if not exceptional at 4 of the 5 Oline positions. Not to mention his potential as a blocking TE. Imagine he and Big on the left side. I wonder how soft his hands are? His presense would also allow for different matchups against speed rushers etc. and as also has been pointed out there couldnt be a better insurance policy against injury.All in all I believe that the Oline has the most potential of any unit this season.
And now, back to my Miller Lite Kool Aid

Hasta Luego

GBR 40

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
AJ: 900 yards for a starting RB in a 16 game season is not very good. You saw the games. How many times was Emmitt met in the backfield on running plays? We were awful up the middle. Awful.

Larry Croom played pretty well when he got in there last year. Give the guy some credit.

Regardless...we are most likely drafting a RB...and a potentially great one at #8. That's my main point...guess some of you missed it.

I'm sorry but Croom was terrible as a rb, but a terrific dancer. The reason rookie or young running backs are usually successful is because they hit the hole immediately. When Marcel first came on the scene, that was his trademark. Hit the hole and then do some cutback running afterwards. Croom danced in the backfield too much.
I like Marcel, but he wears down due to his running style. We need someone to compliment him as a scat back type.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are training camps for? Let Big and LJ battle it out for the RT position. It would rid ourselves of argueing later.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
black said:
What are training camps for? Let Big and LJ battle it out for the RT position. It would rid ourselves of argueing later.

I think you mean LT? :shrug: