RB Prospect - Shonn Green

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Just declared for the draft. I know that he is only a 1 year starter but he did have at least 100 yards in each game this year, including the bowl game today. The one game I have seen of him was in the upset victory over Penn State and I like what I saw in just one game. I honestly dont know much about Iowa this year so does anyone have anymore insight on him. Seems like a 1st round caliber guy with his stats and size. Better then Moreno?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Greene with an "e" by the way.

I'm sure you'll get blitzed with answers.

Here's what I've seen this year (never thought I'd thank the Big Ten Network, but removed from Iowa, it's been very nice):

The most noticeable part of Greene's game is his fight for yardage. His pads are always low and he's always pushing forward. He's a wide body in a short frame. His height/weight combo (5' 11"/235) says a lot about his running style. He could get bigger, but I'm not sure how much he could effectively add.

The second thing a person notices is his lack of elite speed. He isn't caught from behind often, but at this point, I'm not sure if that's not symptomatic of the Big Ten in general. It'll probably be the biggest deciding factor in his draft stock.

He's got incredible lower body strength. He has a spin move, but it's not pretty.
He sees holes and hits them, he understands his job.

Has had problems holding onto the ball, nor is he an outstanding receiver in the field.

He's been a solid back this year and the only reason the Hawkeyes have won as many games they did (from a homer, that's a large admission).

He received a great complement from Kirk Ferentz today, during the wrap-up interview he compared Greene to Bobby Sanders. Leads by example. Through his own failings as a college student he lost the chance to play the game.

When he got back into football he made the most of the opportnuity.
Will that burning drive remain once he gets to the big leagues?

It depends on him, but I think he'll be drafted in the late 2nd round or anywhere in the 3rd.

He's a better prospect then Hightower was, but I'm not sure how Green will be in the pros. I see more questions then answers.

Trying to think of a pro-player to compair, I think of Jamal Lewis but that's not one I'm comfortable with. If I think of a better compairison I'll throw it on.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
True, but I can't help but wonder where Moreno stacks up when compared to last year's prospects.
Tied for third, behind Stewart but on par with Mendenhall.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ugh. I think maybe Lendale White isn't that far off, but I know I was alone in my dislike of Lendale as a prospect.

Physical running style has similarities though. Greene's a more slippery runner. He's a number of inches shorter too.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
My opinion is completely biased, so I'll keep it out.
Name School Games Rushes Yards YPG YPR TDs
Shonn GreeneIowa12 2781729144.16.217

• 2nd in the nation in rushing yards
  • 2nd in the nation in rushing yards per game
  • Tied for 5th in rushing attempts
  • Tied for 7th in the nation in rushing TDs

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My opinion is completely biased, so I'll keep it out.
Name School Games Rushes Yards YPG YPR TDs
Shonn GreeneIowa12 2781729144.16.217

• 2nd in the nation in rushing yards
  • 2nd in the nation in rushing yards per game
  • Tied for 5th in rushing attempts
  • Tied for 7th in the nation in rushing TDs
How's he rank in terms of yards per carry?

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
How's he rank in terms of yards per carry?
I'm sorry about the numbers running into each other. I don't know how to make it look right on here. He averages 6.2 yards per rush and that places him somewhere in the middle when compared to other top runningbacks.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why does YPC matter as a college stat? Didn't reggie bush have like 10ypc?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
agree with Shogun. He's not in Moreno's class. He could very well turn out to be a decent pro but prospect-wise he's probably and 2nd or 3rd rounder. He's one of those guys who are solid but don't do anything eye popping to make them stand out as a prospect.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On Paper...

Haven't seen him but a few things caught my attention -

1. 235 lbs.

2. Another NJ guy.

3. Super Spck's write up on this board suggests (a) younger version of Edge or (b) possibly this year's version of Jonathon Stewart.

4. If the issue is lack of breakaway speed (based on anecdotal evidence to date), I'd suggest we all pay attention to his Combine and/or Pro Day forty times. (And since there is a difference between straight ahead speed and first-step explosiveness, I'd look for other indicators (i.e. 10 or 20-yard dash, high jump, long jump and, of course, showing or not showing breakaway explosiveness on game-tape).

5. Ideally, the Cards need the second coming of Adrian Peterson (i.e. big, tough, fast explosive), but there aren't too many of these on the planet, and our odds of getting one may not be real good - either as a top-drawer draft pick, a 2nd or 3rd round "budget pick" or a sleeper.

Logical question must be: "Considering who we will have at RB next year, what will we need - A pounder (like Edge is or Shipp was?) A breakaway type (like JJ)? An all-purpose 3rd down option (like THT)?"

With the follow up question being: "What size/speed/breakawy trade-offs are we most willing to make at RB in light of our roster needs?"

I'd say - based on what we know and do not yet know about Shonn - he belongs on our "long list" of options.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Haven't seen him but a few things caught my attention -

1. 235 lbs.

2. Another NJ guy.

3. Super Spck's write up on this board suggests (a) younger version of Edge or (b) possibly this year's version of Jonathon Stewart.
Greene can't wash in the tub Stewart or a young Edge farts in.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
In most mocks that I've seen he's the 1st or 2nd ranked running back now. Projected 1st or 2nd rounder. I still think Chris Wells is the most intriguing prospect. Combination of power and speed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In most mocks that I've seen he's the 1st or 2nd ranked running back now. Projected 1st or 2nd rounder. I still think Chris Wells is the most intriguing prospect. Combination of power and speed.

Wells seems like an Eddie George clone - which doesn't suck!

Greene seems like he might be more of a Lendale White type back to me...

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since I follow IOWA...

(NICE WIN!! yesterday) I've seen alot of Greene this year. There is talent there. Yesterday he got hurt early was clearly in alot of pain, came out for a couple series. I thought he was done and then he goes back in and starts picking up chunks of yards. I think he's a powerful runner that will get the tough yards but I don't see him as a threat to take it to the house in the NFL. If he was there in the 2nd I'd take him.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
agree with Shogun. He's not in Moreno's class. He could very well turn out to be a decent pro but prospect-wise he's probably and 2nd or 3rd rounder. He's one of those guys who are solid but don't do anything eye popping to make them stand out as a prospect.

I disagree. One thing to consider is that this is a player that has relatively few carries compared to a back like Moreno. The short shelf life of running backs adds value to a back with fewer carries. His size also could help with longevity.

The thing that has impressed me most about Greene is his vision, patience and cutback ability. Many times I've seen him not have a hole to run through and he somehow has the patience and vision to see a developing hole and he cuts back and suddenly he has a path. He is very rarely taken down by one defender and he runs right through arm tackles. For what many think is a big strong head on runner he rarely takes big hits or runs over people. I like players that have that knack for finding the hole. This is the kind of kid I think could have a very good career in the NFL.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I disagree. One thing to consider is that this is a player that has relatively few carries compared to a back like Moreno. The short shelf life of running backs adds value to a back with fewer carries. His size also could help with longevity.

The thing that has impressed me most about Greene is his vision, patience and cutback ability. Many times I've seen him not have a hole to run through and he somehow has the patience and vision to see a developing hole and he cuts back and suddenly he has a path. He is very rarely taken down by one defender and he runs right through arm tackles. For what many think is a big strong head on runner he rarely takes big hits or runs over people. I like players that have that knack for finding the hole. This is the kind of kid I think could have a very good career in the NFL.

I agree with this... though, I also believe Moreno is WAY overrated and will not translate to the NFL at all...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Shonn Greene is good!

I hope Oregon RB declars; he is a fast Brandon Jacobs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan