Reaction to the Carson Palmer acquistion?

Your reaction to the Carson Palmer acquisition?

• 5-Over the moon

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 4-Excited

Votes: 100 65.8%
  • 3-Mildly positive

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • 2-Neutral-don't like or dislike at this point

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 1-Negative-hate this transaction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with exited. I do not think we are winning it all, but I think we will be in a lot of games and 9-7 would not be out of the question now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm excited. All of the pressure is on the offensive line personnel and the coaching staff which has pushed its chips into the center of the table on the OL. The talent is there at all other offensive positions to be no worse than an average NFL offense.

If the Cards can get 16 weeks of Kevin Kolb-type production out of Palmer, this team could end up 8-8. At the very least, the on-field product probably won't be embarrassing.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If the Cards can get 16 weeks of Kevin Kolb-type production out of Palmer, this team could end up 8-8. At the very least, the on-field product probably won't be embarrassing.

Really ? 8-8.

We have to come back to this after the draft and discuss. I don't see it.

8-8 ?

The Cardinals would have to have some MAJOR luck to go 8-8, IMO.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Excited. Palmer played well last year on a horrid team, and has a LOT to prove. He's never lived up to his potential. And we basically stole the dude for nothing--first time I've said that in ages, if ever. If the dude has game left it could change everything.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Really ? 8-8.

We have to come back to this after the draft and discuss. I don't see it.

8-8 ?

The Cardinals would have to have some MAJOR luck to go 8-8, IMO.

I'm of the opinion that the quarterback position was holding EVERYONE back, including to some extent the defense. We were getting sub-Mark Sanchez-type production from the quarterback position once Kolb went out.

I don't buy the "We were 4-0 with Kolb!" hype, but we were playing competitive ball with him. Palmer's probably a slight upgrade over Kolb.

The real difference for me is that we're playing a MUCH easier schedule in 2013 than we did in 2012 (we played the hardest schedule in the NFL last year). We're playing the AFC South (worst division in football, maybe), NFC South (weakest division in the conference) and the last-place teams in the NFC East (Philly) and NFC North (Detroit).

Our hardest AFC opponents (Houston and Indy) are going to be at home. We'll travel to Jacksonville and Tennessee. We also play Philly and Tampa on the road.

Can we beat St. Louis without Steven Jackson twice? Maybe. Can we win one other division game? Maybe. That's three wins.

Can we beat Indy, Carolina, and Detroit at home? I'd like to think so, but let's say that we only win two of those games. That's five wins total, now.

Then we'd have to win three of four road games against Philly, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tennessee.

Would it be easy? No. I don't see a lot of blowouts on the schedule unless the safety position improves markedly from where it stands now, and Todd Bowles shows an aptitude for defensive scheming that hasn't been illustrated thus far in his career.

But it's possible.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
With what we gave up. this is over the moon!

This. We swapped our 6th rounder for their 7th this year? That's it? If that was all it took to keep him from hitting the street and starting a bidding war with the likes of Tampa Bay, that was well-played.

That being said, I am not ready to book playoff tickets for the next 3 years either. This team will hover around 8-8 for the next few years, I think. In the NFL, that's the equivalent of being undead.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited about the cost. I'm mildly positive about his impact on this roster.

Steve

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Thrilled... This was the best move we could of made to improve and we slam dunked it!

I am more excited to think we have a good front office for the first time in my life.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the quarterback position was holding EVERYONE back, including to some extent the defense. We were getting sub-Mark Sanchez-type production from the quarterback position once Kolb went out.

I don't buy the "We were 4-0 with Kolb!" hype, but we were playing competitive ball with him. Palmer's probably a slight upgrade over Kolb.

The real difference for me is that we're playing a MUCH easier schedule in 2013 than we did in 2012 (we played the hardest schedule in the NFL last year). We're playing the AFC South (worst division in football, maybe), NFC South (weakest division in the conference) and the last-place teams in the NFC East (Philly) and NFC North (Detroit).

Our hardest AFC opponents (Houston and Indy) are going to be at home. We'll travel to Jacksonville and Tennessee. We also play Philly and Tampa on the road.

Can we beat St. Louis without Steven Jackson twice? Maybe. Can we win one other division game? Maybe. That's three wins.

Can we beat Indy, Carolina, and Detroit at home? I'd like to think so, but let's say that we only win two of those games. That's five wins total, now.

Then we'd have to win three of four road games against Philly, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tennessee.

Would it be easy? No. I don't see a lot of blowouts on the schedule unless the safety position improves markedly from where it stands now, and Todd Bowles shows an aptitude for defensive scheming that hasn't been illustrated thus far in his career.

But it's possible.

Fair enough.

Without the draft class before me, I cannot see it.

The defense has taken a few steps back from last year, and they were a MAJOR reason we even had 5 wins.

The offensive line is the same offensive line from last year, as it stands.

Again, the draft can help that situation, so we will see.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) cost-it's a bargain unless that unconditional pick somehow turns into a 2nd or 3rd rounder :D

2) effect on team-Palmer is the best QB we've had since Kurt. Is our defense capable of keeping this team in games like last year? If so, were competitive.

3) a franchise QB or not? Can Palmer do something he hasn't done in years, which is improve a team with his play at QB? Carson's teams have rarely been winners & that's what great QBs do to less than talented teams.

4) effect on 2014-any hope of acquiring Teddy Bridgewater or a franchise QB after 2013 basically gets thrown out the window with Palmers acquisition.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Without the draft class before me, I cannot see it.

The defense has taken a few steps back from last year, and they were a MAJOR reason we even had 5 wins.

The offensive line is the same offensive line from last year, as it stands.

Again, the draft can help that situation, so we will see.

It's not the same offensive line. Bobby Massie is no longer a rookie, neither are Senio Kelemete and Nate Potter. All three will have more than a year of NFL strength training, and D'Anthony Batiste isn't on the roster. We'll almost certainly bring in a new starter at OG in the draft. The system and coaching has changed.

The offensive line personnel in 2013 regular season was terrible, and got worse as injuries eroded the depth. But it's a couple of quantum leaps from Batiste to Levi Brown (it's more than the leap from Levi Brown to Joe Thomas). But we put another candle on the birthday cake for three young players, two of which got substantial NFL starting experience, and we're getting back our best talent on the offensive line.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My reaction is a good one, the time it took scared me for a sec but I'm glad we can go on offense this year it appears. I hope Larry takes over the NFL again if we can get the TEs involved with some Floyd doing his thing. I'm just really glad we won't be the team with the least rushing attemps (I think Whiz is calling something somewhere!!!), even with this upgrade at QB. :)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) cost-it's a bargain unless that unconditional pick somehow turns into a 2nd or 3rd rounder :D

2) effect on team-Palmer is the best QB we've had since Kurt. Is our defense capable of keeping this team in games like last year? If so, were competitive.

3) a franchise QB or not? Can Palmer do something he hasn't done in years, which is improve a team with his play at QB? Carson's teams have rarely been winners & that's what great QBs do to less than talented teams.

4) effect on 2014-any hope of acquiring Teddy Bridgewater or a franchise QB after 2013 basically gets thrown out the window with Palmers acquisition.

Its conditional meaning its onlya 7th rounder if he starts 13 games..if he starts less they get NOTHING! It cant jump any higher goof!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm much happier than I was with the Kolb signing. felt queasy about it when it happened and that's the way it turned out. Can we do any worse than what the last couple years have been with Palmer? hard to imagine that.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Carson is a very good QB in this league. Elite? No, but it wouldn't be elite if everyone was. Clear upgrade and fairly cheap for a starting QB. This team is damn near unrecognizable from last year's squad.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Billick ‏@CoachBillick 1h
Larry Fitzgerald is the first truly disciplined WR that Palmer will have ever played with. Both will benefit greatly because of the other.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald is the first truly disciplined WR that Palmer will have ever played with. Both will benefit greatly because of the other.

That is true. I expect Larry to have a monster year next year if the OL can protect Palmer.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

OchoCinco wasn't disciplined? :p