Reaction to the Carson Palmer acquistion?

Your reaction to the Carson Palmer acquisition?

• 5-Over the moon

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 4-Excited

Votes: 100 65.8%
  • 3-Mildly positive

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • 2-Neutral-don't like or dislike at this point

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • 1-Negative-hate this transaction

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm mildly positive. If he can somehow push our offense's production anywhere near 2008-2009 levels, we'll have a chance to get a wild card. If he can't, our defense is likely going to go through some pains.

This hasn't sold me, and it will again keep us from getting a #1 or #2 pick, but we'll see. I'd sure love it to work.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the quarterback position was holding EVERYONE back, including to some extent the defense. We were getting sub-Mark Sanchez-type production from the quarterback position once Kolb went out.

I don't buy the "We were 4-0 with Kolb!" hype, but we were playing competitive ball with him. Palmer's probably a slight upgrade over Kolb.

The real difference for me is that we're playing a MUCH easier schedule in 2013 than we did in 2012 (we played the hardest schedule in the NFL last year). We're playing the AFC South (worst division in football, maybe), NFC South (weakest division in the conference) and the last-place teams in the NFC East (Philly) and NFC North (Detroit).

Our hardest AFC opponents (Houston and Indy) are going to be at home. We'll travel to Jacksonville and Tennessee. We also play Philly and Tampa on the road.

Can we beat St. Louis without Steven Jackson twice? Maybe. Can we win one other division game? Maybe. That's three wins.

Can we beat Indy, Carolina, and Detroit at home? I'd like to think so, but let's say that we only win two of those games. That's five wins total, now.

Then we'd have to win three of four road games against Philly, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Tennessee.

Would it be easy? No. I don't see a lot of blowouts on the schedule unless the safety position improves markedly from where it stands now, and Todd Bowles shows an aptitude for defensive scheming that hasn't been illustrated thus far in his career.

But it's possible.

Now THIS I agree with.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Adding Carson Palmer brings hope. We have a chance every week with him at QB and there is something to be said for that. We get to see Larry Fitzgerald be an elite NFL wide receiver again this year. We get to see what we really have in Roberts, Floyd and Housler for the first time. The defense doesn't have to hold the opposing team under 3 points any longer.

We have top 16 defensive personnel, we have a top 20 QB and top 15receiving corp. Now, it just comes down to the offensive line. Here's to hope.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm mildly positive. If he can somehow push our offense's production anywhere near 2008-2009 levels, we'll have a chance to get a wild card. If he can't, our defense is likely going to go through some pains.

This hasn't sold me, and it will again keep us from getting a #1 or #2 pick, but we'll see. I'd sure love it to work.

You seriously wanted us to be bad enough to be one of the two worst teams in the NFL? Ugh.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
This move reminds me of when we signed Steve Beuerlein back in the day. He will probably put up some decent numbers on a bad team that is playing from behind a lot.

Ultimately we will still be finishing with a losing record and I doubt the guy is able to make it through a full season be it from injury or ineffectiveness.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You seriously wanted us to be bad enough to be one of the two worst teams in the NFL? Ugh.

No, I never "want" to see this team lose. However, I also don't want to see them be just bad enough to never be a factor, but never bad enough to add the kind of player that changes the franchise's fortune. A major year of transition with a new staff is the only time I could accept that outcome, though.

We were one of the worst two teams in the NFL by the end of the season, once that losing streak hit. That was awful, hopeless, terrible football to watch, and there wasn't even the consolation of getting an elite talent because we managed to beat Detroit.

It's sort of like the Suns right now. It's absolutely abysmal to watch, and saps most of the fun out of the franchise, but I can at least pause to say "well, this is going to get us the core we need to win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand your point but I don't want to live on the hope (or lack thereof) of being bad enough to get the first or second pick in next year's draft.

At least the acquisition of Palmer should allow the Cardinals time to find a young QB to develop.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1) cost-it's a bargain unless that unconditional pick somehow turns into a 2nd or 3rd rounder :D

2) effect on team-Palmer is the best QB we've had since Kurt. Is our defense capable of keeping this team in games like last year? If so, were competitive.

3) a franchise QB or not? Can Palmer do something he hasn't done in years, which is improve a team with his play at QB? Carson's teams have rarely been winners & that's what great QBs do to less than talented teams.

4) effect on 2014-any hope of acquiring Teddy Bridgewater or a franchise QB after 2013 basically gets thrown out the window with Palmers acquisition.

You can always trade up. I would be very much in favor of giving up the house on draft day Washington redskin style for teddy Bridgewater

Im very happy about this move got him for pretty much nothing

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's sort of like the Suns right now. It's absolutely abysmal to watch, and saps most of the fun out of the franchise, but I can at least pause to say "well, this is going to get us the core we need to win.

Nah... The NFL is different than the NBA. How many Top 5 draft picks were on the Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens? Maybe Ngata?

How many were on the previous Champs, the New York Giants? One?

What about the previous Champs, the Green Bay Packers? Zero? Woodson, maybe?

The NFL is about hitting your draft picks and keeping enough of them in your program. The Cards managed to keep enough in their program plus Warner to get 2 NFC West Championships. When they started shedding veterans because Whis got a new deal and more control, the roster started falling apart.

We've shed a couple more veteran players, but we may have a core if we can get 2 draft classes that can contribute three or four players.

Palmer just gives us something to watch for the next 12 months.

There are only 5 starters and maybe 8 contributors on an NBA team. There are 22 starters in the NFL and maybe 30-35 contributors. There's lots of room for flexibility.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm excited because it puts Arizona back on the NFL map. With Drew Stanton as the starter and the losses of the last 3 seasons the Cards were back to being the "are they still in the league?" team unless by some miracle they won a bunch of games.

No highlights, no decent announcers, no mention on the talk shows, limited merchandise (you know "all teams available except Arizona") no prime time games etc.

Now I know some of you don't care about this but I do.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm excited because it puts Arizona back on the NFL map. With Drew Stanton as the starter and the losses of the last 3 seasons the Cards were back to being the "are they still in the league?" team unless by some miracle they won a bunch of games.

No highlights, no decent announcers, no mention on the talk shows, limited merchandise (you know "all teams available except Arizona") no prime time games etc.

i care

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'm the same way--Im pumped today just hearing all the pundits opinions on the matter. It sucks to watch NFLN and not even hear our team mentioned so this is a welcome change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Adding Carson Palmer brings hope. We have a chance every week with him at QB and there is something to be said for that. We get to see Larry Fitzgerald be an elite NFL wide receiver again this year. We get to see what we really have in Roberts, Floyd and Housler for the first time. The defense doesn't have to hold the opposing team under 3 points any longer.

We have top 16 defensive personnel, we have a top 20 QB and top 15receiving corp. Now, it just comes down to the offensive line. Here's to hope.

This.

I was a Kolb homer, but it would have been foolish to pin the upcoming season's hopes on him, because he can't stay healthy (same with Beanie). Our other QBs were back ups at best.

Until this trade, we had no reasonable chance to be competitive in 2013. Now, I honestly think we have an outside shot at the playoffs. Big difference.

So, great job Cardinals. Well done.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This.

I was a Kolb homer, but it would have been foolish to pin the upcoming season's hopes on him, because he can't stay healthy (same with Beanie). Our other QBs were back ups at best.

Until this trade, we had no reasonable chance to be competitive in 2013. Now, I honestly think we have an outside shot at the playoffs. Big difference.

So, great job Cardinals. Well done.

We should start a support group. :p I hope he does his thing behind a line.