RealGM Article

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Ok, so I normally used RealGM only for their trade checker. Lately I have been reading some of their forums, and their articles. A complete joke:

With Max-Contract On The Way, Suns Should Consider “McDyess Factor”
D. Hunter Johnson - 17th June, 2005 2:49 AM

He was virtually unstoppable all throughout the season and the playoffs. He averaged 37 points a game against a very tough defensive team, the San Antonio Spurs. Amare Stoudemire, the youngster that went straight from high school to the NBA will almost certainly get a 6-year max contract this offseason. At least, under the current CBA the max is 6 years. Well, anyway, he has certainly earned a max-contract, whatever it may be.

His athleticism is comparable to Shawn Kemp and when he decides to dunk nothing short of a flagrant foul will stop him. He is the most exciting youngster in the league and to add to his power game, he has a fairly soft touch from 15-feet in. And he is only going to get better. Imagine, for a minute, if he had a go-to move on the post for a minute. It is scary to think about.

His max-contract is a lock. He brings in the fans and he wins games, add to that he is only 22-years of age. But the Suns should remember another talented young athlete, who, after suffering a knee injury requiring many surgeries to repair, was never able to return to form. When Antonio McDyess lost his amazing jumping ability, his numbers went from solid to mediocre. Upon his recovery, he was never the same.

In his best year with Denver, McDyess averaged 21 ppg along with 12 rebounds per game. He could jump out of the gym, as they say, making him a tough match-up as he too quick, too tall and too athletic for most defenders to handle. Now, his career has led him to a reserve-role for the Detroit Pistons, a position he is very lucky to have.

Could the same happen to Stoudemire? Shawn Kemp was similar to Amare when he first came into the League; however, he was lucky enough to never sustain a serious injury. So as his athletic ability declined, his other skills improved and until the end of his career, which saw a Shawn Kemp about 60 pounds overweight, the “Reign Man” never missed a beat. So as long as Stoudemire does not incur a serious injury, he will continue to dominate for many years to come. However, it is hard to imagine a player who spends that much time off his feet avoiding major injury for long.

The point of the article is moot because the Suns will have to sign Stoudemire to a max-contract. If they don’t somebody else will. The “McDyess Factor” is just something to keep in mind.

News Flash:: ANYONE IN THE NBA CAN GET HURT. Does that mean no one should be signed to big money?

Kolo

Reaction score
I demand to have the last 90 seconds of my life back.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Ok, so I normally used RealGM only for their trade checker. Lately I have been reading some of their forums, and their articles. A complete joke:

News Flash:: ANYONE IN THE NBA CAN GET HURT. Does that mean no one should be signed to big money?

WTF. That is the most ******** article I have ever read.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Graham, you're a bad person for posting that article. I feel a bit more dumb now then before I had read it. Thanks. :stupid:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I demand to have the last 90 seconds of my life back.

LOL

Boy, you can tell that author is envious that Stoudemire isn't on his team.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
That's the dumbest thing ever written. McDyess was never near the player Amare is now. He was a good player, but Amare is great and still getting better. Plus you can't compare Amare's heart to McDyess black piece of coal for a heart.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:
That's the dumbest thing ever written. McDyess was never near the player Amare is now. He was a good player, but Amare is great and still getting better. Plus you can't compare Amare's heart to McDyess black piece of coal for a heart.

The problem with the article has nothing to do with the comparison. It has to do with the "can't sign him because he could get hurt" idea.

Also, from all accounts, McDyess is one of the nicest, good hearted people in the league. He is just naive and gullable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan