Reason's why we draft Eli Manning

AzWins23

Reaction score
#1 Not only is Eli Manning the best quarterback in the draft...He is a quarterback that can take the pressure by being thrown right into the fire....HE SHOULD START RIGHT AWAY

#2 I think since Rod Graves knew that he messed up this off season, i think this is a good way to get us to believe in him

#3 IT WILL BRING FANS TO THE GAME!! Nothing agianst Josh McCown, its just that no one wants to see him play....They just need someone exciting

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzWins23
#1 Not only is Eli Manning the best quarterback in the draft...He is a quarterback that can take the pressure by being thrown right into the fire....HE SHOULD START RIGHT AWAY

#2 I think since Rod Graves knew that he messed up this off season, i think this is a good way to get us to believe in him

#3 IT WILL BRING FANS TO THE GAME!! Nothing agianst Josh McCown, its just that no one wants to see him play....They just need someone exciting

Utter bullcrap. The seven Cards fans in my living room today were thrilled with what McCown showed.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Skorp I think what we have here is basically a case where unless Josh threw for 500 yards per game with 4 touchdowns most are going to basically talk him down because they want to draft a name QB.

Myself I am still in the draft a QB camp because I simply don't think the franchise could live it down if they pass on one and he turns into a great QB.

That in of itself would put way too much pressure on McCown he'd make the Pace v Suggs threads look tame by comparison.

I still have to tell you though if these same people think Eli would have done any better with the total cast of characters McCown had to work with they would be fools. In this I include the staff because of the play calling. He also had very erratic line play that went from solid to putrid on a random basis.

Several plays were bring the house blitzes that would have eaten Eli alive because he wouldn't have rolled out as well. I just think some peoples minds are closed forever on McCown he has had two games vs about 90+ for Plummer and they already are pronouncing him not the answer.

What I saw was a kid with all the heart in the world and a lot of raw talent to go with making limited rookie mistakes. No one gives anyone time anymore on anything unless he is Tom Brady going to the Super Bowl his first starting year it just isn't good enough.

Really sad comment on our current society if you ask me.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been dead set on drafting one of the top 2 QBs in the draft. A top notch QB is something we've been lacking for years and McCown hadn't shown much. If he has another good game than we can consider looking at someone else. We need to get the right coaching though. Quincy Carter looked like a stud today (heck, most of the season) and McCown IMO can be waaaay better than Carter. If we stick with McCown we should take a defensive play maker with our first pick. We need impact players, particilarly on the D side.

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
I agree 100% Conrad..

That is the reason I think you have to take Manning at #1, but in the same breath - he wouldn't have done any better today.

I think you take Manning, and then let him learn. I don't think he plays from day 1, IMO.

The question would be if the Bidwills would let him sit, after paying him all that money. If you threw him out there now, he would get killed.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
the only way we don't draft manning is that we trade down for couple of 1st round and 2nd round pick. which i would be all for. has everyone knows i'm for drafting vince wolfork and phillip rivers.

pinnacle

Reaction score
quote:::IT WILL BRING FANS TO THE GAME!! Nothing agianst Josh McCown, its just that no one wants to see him play....They just need someone exciting

I heard a comparable comment on the post game show on xtra 910... - the bring fans to the game part...Yea...he might initially - but if he is a disappointment and we do not win - they will all go away...I want whatever combination gives us the chance to win..

Also..I want to see Mccown play..I have a soft spot for the underdogs (I guess that is why I am a cardinals fan!).

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzWins23

I think these 3 points has more to do with you wanting a QB that can perform heriocs every week in spite of the coaching and tallent around him.

Yes, while I agree that the Cards should not pass on Eli, that's not reason for you to disparage Josh's good performance in the last 2 weeks. Your #3 is just toooooooooo over the top.

And I don't see why Cards fans would not want to see Josh play next week. The kid threw the ball 40 times with no INT and 1 TD.

pinnacle

Reaction score
I wonder when the last time was a Cardinal qb had 40 attempts or more and did not have an interception?

I think technically he had a fumble on that 4th down play (not sure) ..but it did not matter as the seahawks got the ball anyway..

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Although I have seen some good things so far from Josh McCown. I still think we should draft Manning of Roethlisberger. I was very impressed with McCown in the Carolina game, but I thought he played poorly in the Seattle game. I have not gone over the tape yet, but from my first glance at what McCown did in the game, I was not impressed. I thought if there was any chance of McCown winning the starting job next year and the Cardinals not drafting a QB, McCown would have to win the next two games to keep the Cards from drafting another QB.He lost and I believe he is now out of it as the Cardinal future QB. After watching both Manning and Roethlisberger this year, I believe both would have done better in the game against Seattle.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
From moneyball (not exact quote)

"Fans don't care if you lose with stars are without them, they don't want to see a loser. If you win without stars fans will still come to the game"

or soemthing like that

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's easier to build a winning team around a franchise QB then it is to build a team and hope to win without one.

Yes, there are notable exceptions, but most of the "dynasty" teams or really dominant teams have a pretty durn good QB.

After watching McCown the last couple of weeks, I think he'll make a fine starter in this league. But, I think we need someone we can bring in here as a messiah. Someone who the team, fans and the rest of the nation will look to and say: "This is the kid that can turn the Arizona franchise around."

Right or wrong, McCown isn't ever going to be seen as that guy. You can't have your team thinking one week, "The kid is scared and that makes us nervous as players and as an organization," and the next week be saying: "Josh McCown is the long-term cure for the Cardinals' woes."

Bring on Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning. Either of those guys will have enough "magic" about them to excite the team and fans.

McCown may turn out to be better then both of them--but he'll do it somewhere else. The Cardinals have seen too much of his growing pains during his development, and because they've seen him at his weakest he'll never be seen as a "messiah."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
It's easier to build a winning team around a franchise QB then it is to build a team and hope to win without one.

Yes, there are notable exceptions, but most of the "dynasty" teams or really dominant teams have a pretty durn good QB.

After watching McCown the last couple of weeks, I think he'll make a fine starter in this league. But, I think we need someone we can bring in here as a messiah. Someone who the team, fans and the rest of the nation will look to and say: "This is the kid that can turn the Arizona franchise around."

Right or wrong, McCown isn't ever going to be seen as that guy. You can't have your team thinking one week, "The kid is scared and that makes us nervous as players and as an organization," and the next week be saying: "Josh McCown is the long-term cure for the Cardinals' woes."

Bring on Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning. Either of those guys will have enough "magic" about them to excite the team and fans.

McCown may turn out to be better then both of them--but he'll do it somewhere else. The Cardinals have seen too much of his growing pains during his development, and because they've seen him at his weakest he'll never be seen as a "messiah."

Amen, brother!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah

That kinda logic has you trade a guy like Brett Farve...

Spare me the you did not just compare him to Farve comments I didn't, Josh right now is interesting nothing more.

Why worry about it we have three QB roster spots is there a law he cannot be the backup as a plan B? I mean QB's do get hurt from time to time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Reason's why we draft Eli Manning

Originally posted by CaliCards
I think these 3 points has more to do with you wanting a QB that can perform heriocs every week in spite of the coaching and tallent around him.

Yes, while I agree that the Cards should not pass on Eli, that's not reason for you to disparage Josh's good performance in the last 2 weeks. Your #3 is just toooooooooo over the top.

And I don't see why Cards fans would not want to see Josh play next week. The kid threw the ball 40 times with no INT and 1 TD.

i don't think it's over the top, i think it's realistic. those of us that are diehards want to see anyone who is good. but we're few and far between. the mccown name is not going to pull in the casual fan. the manning name will. will it help us win? not unless eli's great (which i hope he is), but the statement made was still pretty accurate, and i don't think it was a slam on mccown at all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by conraddobler

Why worry about it we have three QB roster spots is there a law he cannot be the backup as a plan B? I mean QB's do get hurt from time to time.

totally agree. if he's got some talent (and i think we saw some of it the past two weeks), keep him around.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by conraddobler
That kinda logic has you trade a guy like Brett Farve...

Spare me the you did not just compare him to Farve comments I didn't, Josh right now is interesting nothing more.

I'm not opposed to keeping him around, I just don't think we will.

Also, I hope that his impressive play lately doesn't keep us from taking a QB at the top of the draft. I say that entirely withour irony--I like what I've see from Josh. But, while he's been impressive, I'm drawn like a moth to the flame with the promise of the next "big-time" QB (Ben or Eli). Josh doesn't do that for me.

And, just to play devil's advocate, this kind of logic also has you trade a guy like Rob Johnson or Koy Detmer or coutless other young "interesting" QBs that show signs of promise but have also put their flaws on display.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but when I see Josh play, I see a young version of Jon Kitna. A gutsy guy, gives it his all, great arm, but is somewhat of a cowboy.

I am really impressed with him so far, but I still think that we need to draft Eli. Competition will make him better. Then maybe trade Eli or Josh after next year ala Aikman / Walsh.