receiver or quarterback?

phinius

Rookie
Reaction score
3. Arizona Cardinals -- Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh. This will be a mistake, but Dennis Green wins out and gets his guy. What's the use of having all the receivers the Cardinals will have -- they got two in the first two rounds last year -- if nobody can throw them the ball?

That's the question I have.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I'll trust Dennis Green's assessment of our QB more than any website. Wanna check out his track records with QBs?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
QUESTION: reciever or qb?

ANSWER: BPA!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

QB. If we lose out on two huge QBs in two consecutive years, believe you me, we'll regret it in years to come. But go ahead and put on the blinders if you will. I'll say I told you so in a few years, but I'll do it with a grimace of pain on my face.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I said BPA that doesn't exclude a QB.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The answer is whoever DG thinks is the BPA.
I think it is Fitz Gallery M Williams Taylor

BTW what does Richard Clarke say about Bush and Bin Laden???

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Stout said:
QB. If we lose out on two huge QBs in two consecutive years, believe you me, we'll regret it in years to come. But go ahead and put on the blinders if you will. I'll say I told you so in a few years, but I'll do it with a grimace of pain on my face.

Stout I gotta agree with ya on this one. If both QBS are gone I like Fitz but if Big Ben is there I gotta take him if I am the GM.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:

You could just as easily be eating crow come a few years from now. So on the same token remember the position you are taking when McCown has led this team to the playoffs four out of the next 5 years :)

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
What's the use of having all the receivers the Cardinals will have -- they got two in the first two rounds last year -- if nobody can throw them the ball?

Huh?

Have McCown, Parsons and King all had their arms chopped off?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BACH said:
This is a sports site - No political discussions.... (unspoken rule here)
Chill out that was a rhetorical question in response to the poster's tagline.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

You say "BPA" like every player comes with a label on him that says "BPA" or "2nd BPA," etc...

It's not that easy, otherwise the Akili Smiths and Curtis Enis' of the world never would have been drafted.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
receiver or quarterback?
I'm with Vikesfan on this one: BPA.

Pariah - While it's true that each player doesn't walk around with BPA#1, #2 etc. around his neck, it is also true that some teams do assign arbitrary BPA rankings to players (and in fact set up their boards that way). What "BPA" precisely means probably varies a bit from team to team.

Attempting to read Denny's (aka "Master of Smoke")'s tea leaves, the top 8 BPA's (in no particular order) would probably include: Fitzgerald, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Ricky Manning, Roethlisberger, Kellen Winslow and maybe Gallery.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
receiver or quarterback?
I'm with Vikesfan on this one: BPA.

Pariah - While it's true that each player doesn't walk around with BPA#1, #2 etc. around his neck, it is also true that some teams do assign arbitrary BPA rankings to players (and in fact set up their boards that way). What "BPA" precisely means probably varies a bit from team to team.
My only remaining point is that when someone asks you if you want the cards to draft a WR or a QB, answering "BPA" is sort of nebeulous.

My answer to the question is "QB," because I think that Roethlisberger will be the "BPA."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
receiver or quarterback?
...and maybe Gallery.
Boy, if Gallery isn't on Green's BPA list, we could be in trouble. Maybe he's not the evaluator of talent he's made out to be, eh?;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Shane H said:
You could just as easily be eating crow come a few years from now. So on the same token remember the position you are taking when McCown has led this team to the playoffs four out of the next 5 years :)
Hey, I wouldn't mind eating crow if it meant we were in the playoffs four out of the next five years!!! Even so, I'm pretty sure Lefty, Ben and Eli are going to be the goods in a few years...McCown may get there, but I personally don't like his odds as much. I saw much Jake in him last year, and though we thought we could get Jake to stop doing it, we couldn't. I know we have DG and all, but...well, we'll see.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My only remaining point is that when someone asks you if you want the cards to draft a WR or a QB, answering "BPA" is sort of nebeulous.
The reason why the answer is nebulous is because the question carries in it assumptions that some of us may not agree with. It's like asking: "What would you like? Broccoli or Brussells Sprouts? (Answer could conceivably be: Neither. Both suck).

Regarding Gallery - I think that Denny (if he isn't blowing smoke about BPA) would have to include him.

But I don't totally ascribe to the BPA theory, preferring to factor in a bit of context (i.e. I think each team's definition of "best player" probably is shaped by the team's offensive and defensive systems and philosophies. Bill Parcells and Coughlin traditionally emphasize size and toughness. Mike Martz is a speed guy).

If I were making the decision, I'd probably rule out Gallery, because Denny's system (on both sides of the ball) requires playmakers. On offense, the 2 QB's, 3 WR's and TE prospects are playmakers. On defense, he is quoted as saying Taylor is a playmaker. As good as Gallery is at what he does, he doesn't really fit the traditional definition of "playmaker."

Therefore, I doubt Gallery will be very high (if at all) on Denny's BPA list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05