Receivers not worried about letdown with Leinart

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Receivers not worried about letdown with Leinart

By Darren Urban, Tribune
October 7, 2006

A rookie quarterback usually means a dip in the passing game, which could make the next few games rough on Cardinals receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald.

But both players are still on pace for more than 90 receptions and more than 1,150 yards, and Boldin said he isn’t worried that the Cards’ dynamic duo will be lost in the transition to Matt Leinart.

“I think it’s a situation where they probably try and get us the ball a little bit more,” Boldin said. “To help him out and take the pressure off. “(The passing game) has kind of been our trademark. It’s something we can’t go away from.”

In his brief fourth quarter appearance against Atlanta, Leinart threw eight passes. Two went to Fitzgerald, with one completion for 11 yards. Two throws went to Boldin, completing both for 22 yards.

Leinart said his timing is fine with his two star receivers, although most of their work together came during the offseason.

On the season, Boldin has 24 catches for 295 yards and a touchdown. Fitzgerald has 23 for 321 and a single score.

The Cards are expected to get the ball often to running back Edgerrin James — barring the Cards falling way behind against Kansas City, James shouldn’t have a problem reaching 30 carries — in an effort to jump-start a floundering offense.

Coach Dennis Green’s patience is clearly wearing thin after the Cards have scored just three offensive touchdowns the past three games. “The point is, we have no excuses,” offensive coordinator Keith Rowen said. “We are not playing well enough. We address it, we find the things we can do well offensively and we accentuate that for the guys on the field. Over the course of last year we were able to find that, and we have to do the same thing this year.”

FACING L.J.

The Cards are taking on some impressive running games this season, from Frank Gore to Steven Jackson to Shaun Alexander to the three-headed Atlanta attack that included quarterback Michael Vick. Sunday, they get Larry Johnson, who blew up for 1,750 yards last season despite starting just nine games as the backup to Priest Holmes.

Before the season, many speculated whether Johnson would crack the 2,000-yard barrier. Instead, he has “only” 295 yards in three games as defenses make him their top target.

“The bull's-eye is on the poor guy’s back,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said.

“He’s learning that a little bit too. It’s different than being the other guy. People, when they game plan, first thing they will do is stop the runner.”

Johnson’s stature does help. Backup quarterback Damon Huard has been excellent, in part because the defense focuses on Johnson.

Against San Francisco last week, Huard was 13-for-15 for 152 yards and two touchdowns by halftime. Still, the Cardinals will worry about Johnson first.

“Larry Johnson is a big dude, a big physical dude,” cornerback Eric Green said. “If you’re scared to hit, it’s definitely going to show.”

EXTRA POINTS

Linebacker James Darling (calf) was officially downgraded to out on the injury report. . . .

James, on dealing with the Cards’ 1-3 start: “It’s tougher than you would want it, but being realistic, you said, ‘This has the potential to happen.’ I’m not shocked, but I am kind of surprised because you would think you’d get off to a better start.”

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I expect to see Matt looking for Pope who I think will be getting a lot of time this week.

Matt is most comfortable with Pope as Pope and Watkins were Matt's receiving partners when Matt was working out on his own at the training facility from the last day of OTA's all the way up to the day before training camp.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I expect to see Matt looking for Pope who I think will be getting a lot of time this week.

Matt is most comfortable with Pope as Pope and Watkins were Matt's receiving partners when Matt was working out on his own at the training facility from the last day of OTA's all the way up to the day before training camp.

I agree. Pope should be getting the ball off alot. i think the cards should throw quick passes to hopefully keep the chiefs defense from blitzing so much. D coordinator gunther cunningham is a very agressive blitzer and the short passes are going to be the only way to stop it.

I really don't think leinart will have time to complete long passes. The chiefs have pressured QBs all season long consistantly.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is where I would say that Leinart should be completing long passes but he can't hold onto the ball. When a team is blitz happy like the Chiefs are, it opens more opportunities for bigl plays especially with bad ball catchers like Boldin and Fitz. They for Leinart is to get the ball out quickly when he recognizes the blitz and push the ball downfield. His trust in Fitz and Boldin will be evident by how often he puts the ball up for grabs in blitz situations with one on one coverage.

If their is one advantage to having Leinart at QB is that because he doesn;t have great arm strength he has to release the ball sooner on deep patterns ala Tom Brady. This should slow down the blitz if he makes his reads correctly and lets his wideouts make plays for him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a feeling Troy Walters will have a couple of big plays. He was a favorite of Leinart in pre-season.
The problem we face is that the Chiefs can play cover 2 on Fitz and Q and have their front seven play the run and zone blitz, which will give our O-line more than they can handle. Therefore the hot read needs to be a te or a 3rd wr.
Too many slants to Q or Fitz on a hot read blitz will turn into big plays for the Chiefs D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05