Redskins and the forever pain...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As long as Feely is not wearing Neil O'Donoghue's old #, I will feel fine...that number is now safely worn by Larry Fitzgerlald. That number worn by a kicker brings back the one game that caused me the most pain of being a long time Cardinal fan.

He is most famous for having missed a game winning kick against the Washington Redskins in the last game of the 1984 season that would have sent his St. Louis Cardinals to the playoffs, and also for missing three field goal attempts in overtime of a Monday Night Football game against the New York Giants during the 1983 season, resulting in a 20-20 tie.
In his entire NFL career, had a kicking success rate of 59%.

Attachments

• x350.jpg
    x350.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 298

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This guy made up for it:

Attachments

• chris jacke, az.jpg
    chris jacke, az.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 282
  • sdblogwin1.jpg
    sdblogwin1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 282

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As long as Feely is not wearing Neil O'Donoghue's old #, I will feel fine...that number is now safely worn by Larry Fitzgerlald. That number worn by a kicker brings back the one game that caused me the most pain of being a long time Cardinal fan.

He is most famous for having missed a game winning kick against the Washington Redskins in the last game of the 1984 season that would have sent his St. Louis Cardinals to the playoffs, and also for missing three field goal attempts in overtime of a Monday Night Football game against the New York Giants during the 1983 season, resulting in a 20-20 tie.

I was at RFK for that awesome game & really, O'Donoghue was not the true goat of the game. The zebra's had more to do with that loss than anyone. The Cardinals were badly outplayed in the 1st half & were losing something like 21-3 at the half. Then Lomax started hitting Green with bombs & the Cardinals finally took the lead in the 4th qtr. The Cardinal D was stout in the 2nd half & TWICE stopped the Redskins on 4th down on their last drive. In both instances, the Skins were in a 4th & like 18. In one instance they called E J Junior for roughing Theismann AS HE SACKED HIM. The other instance they called PI on us when Theismann just threw one up for grabs under complete duress. 2 of the most BS calls I have ever seen as a Cardinal fan. Moseley kicked like a 42 yarder with 50 seconds to go to take the lead.

The Cardinals had no timeouts & yet drove into position for a possible game winner. With no timeouts, the Cardinals had to rush the FG team onto the field as time ticked off. The kick was like 50 yds, hardly a gimmie, especially in that era of football & especially on a cold day in December. Neil got the kick off as the clock struck 0. He missed it wide right by a foot or two. I was in my 20's, powerlifting competitively, and quite capable of hurting a multitude of people. It took EVERYTHING I had to restrain myself & walk out of that stadium. To this day, that was the biggest screw job the Cardinals have ever received from the officials. It was 10 times worse than the no PI call on Moore against the Cowpukes.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
That game could be used as an example of how some teams could and can control the game through refs. Sad but true, if O'Dounough made that kick, 100% sure a flag would have been thrown, Cards were going to loose no matter what...tell you the truth I am sure Jack Kent Cook and New York knew the Redskins where to win days before the before the game.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was in the military overseas watching that game. Could not believe it. What I remember most was the TE catching the Lomax pass and trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock for the winning kick. Either he stumbled or was tripped up about 5 yrds from the sideline so the kick was rushed and missed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair the kick he missed against Washington was long and the whole FG team was running onto the field to lineup for it. Wasn't an easy kick.

The play in that game I always remember, other than the one sided penalties that killed us all game, was the pick Lomax threw in FG range. Roy Green had Darrell Green beaten deep but Lomax threw it off his back foot and hung it and Darrell got back and picked it. If we at worst kick a FG on that drive we still win.

But hard to fault neil he was amazing in that game.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To be fair the kick he missed against Washington was long and the whole FG team was running onto the field to lineup for it. Wasn't an easy kick.

The play in that game I always remember, other than the one sided penalties that killed us all game, was the pick Lomax threw in FG range. Roy Green had Darrell Green beaten deep but Lomax threw it off his back foot and hung it and Darrell got back and picked it. If we at worst kick a FG on that drive we still win.

But hard to fault neil he was amazing in that game.

Agreed

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I do not fault Neil kicking in that game, I was amazed there was no flag because I do not think he ever stopped once he got onto the field and ran directing into the kick having no time with the time ticking down...it is just the pain of seeing #11 as a kicker and the memory of that game. I remember Lomax and the offense, Washington was completely unable to stop him from moving down the field...it hurt so bad, because with those crap calls, the Cardinals were clearly the better team and yet we lost. Will never ever forget that game, ever

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't O'Donaghue part of that brutal Mon. Night 20 - 20 yawner vs. The Gints?

Some people considered that the worst game in NFL history.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember being excited all week to watch the Redskins and Cards game. TV Guide listed the Cards/Redskins game as the game of the week on CBS (Channel 31 in Peoria, Illinois). My dad, brother, and I turn on the TV, they are doing pre game activities from RFK stadium, go to commercial and when they come back the Bears and Lions game is on in place of the Cardinals game. I was so pissed that I called the TV station and the guy I talked to explained that too many Bears fans had called and complained that they decided at the last minute to change programming. The Bears/Lions game was a meaningless game as the Bears had wrapped up their division 2 weeks earlier.

I ended up listening to Jack Buck and Dan Dierdorf on KMOX radio out of St. Louis do the game on radio. Jack Buck is always remembered as the voice of the baseball Cardinals, but he was a tremendous football announcer as well. That 1984 team was such a joy to watch. I really became hooked on Cardinals football because of that 1984 team.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was at RFK for that awesome game & really, O'Donoghue was not the true goat of the game. The zebra's had more to do with that loss than anyone. The Cardinals were badly outplayed in the 1st half & were losing something like 21-3 at the half. Then Lomax started hitting Green with bombs & the Cardinals finally took the lead in the 4th qtr. The Cardinal D was stout in the 2nd half & TWICE stopped the Redskins on 4th down on their last drive. In both instances, the Skins were in a 4th & like 18. In one instance they called E J Junior for roughing Theismann AS HE SACKED HIM. The other instance they called PI on us when Theismann just threw one up for grabs under complete duress. 2 of the most BS calls I have ever seen as a Cardinal fan. Moseley kicked like a 42 yarder with 50 seconds to go to take the lead.

The Cardinals had no timeouts & yet drove into position for a possible game winner. With no timeouts, the Cardinals had to rush the FG team onto the field as time ticked off. The kick was like 50 yds, hardly a gimmie, especially in that era of football & especially on a cold day in December. Neil got the kick off as the clock struck 0. He missed it wide right by a foot or two. I was in my 20's, powerlifting competitively, and quite capable of hurting a multitude of people. It took EVERYTHING I had to restrain myself & walk out of that stadium. To this day, that was the biggest screw job the Cardinals have ever received from the officials. It was 10 times worse than the no PI call on Moore against the Cowpukes.

Remember it like it was yesterday. The roughing the passer call was the worst call I have ever seen. Will never forget how mad I was after this game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
and yet some forget O'Donoghue drilling the winner on the last play in St.Lou against the Skins the same year...greatest Bday present I've ever had.

What screwed the Cards that year was getting robbed in Stl against the Cowpies when they called back 2 Lomax to Green TD for offensive PI...that loss haunted them kept them out of the playoffs because I believe we wouldve owned a tie-breaker despite the Skins loss. That Cards team had the firepower to win a Super Bowl

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I believe that '84 team would walk all over the teams on our schedule we have currently, they were really good and had more than their share of horrible calls going against them that year

Buckybird

Reaction score
I believe that '84 team would walk all over the teams on our schedule we have currently, they were really good and had more than their share of horrible calls going against them that year

I wish we had that pass rush...Greer (beast), Galloway, Grooms, Baker, Duda, Nunn. The "Red Rush" could bring the gas to opposing QB's but the secondary played hot & cold.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Give me some Freddie Joe Nunn, really liked that guy. Wasn't Lionel Washington one of the corners, believe he wore 44 or something like that. The NFC East was just such a good division back then, and it makes me laugh when people like Michael Irvin are still under the assumption that the NFC East is still like it was back in the day.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Give me some Freddie Joe Nunn, really liked that guy. Wasn't Lionel Washington one of the corners, believe he wore 44 or something like that. The NFC East was just such a good division back then, and it makes me laugh when people like Michael Irvin are still under the assumption that the NFC East is still like it was back in the day.

LWash was #48, the best CB we've had outside of Aeneas, Wehrli & Pat Fischer & they let him play somewhere else for about 14 yrs. :bang:

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
yes, he was 48 Bucky...it made me start thinking and I took out my old electric football players from back in the day and there he was, #48 ...had the whole '84 team on that funny game LOL

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

They'd be too small, especially on the offensive line. A 265lb Guard and 260lb Center would get blown up today.

:D