Refs on today's Super Bowl

AzWins23

Reaction score
First off.....Watch the actual play were Ben runs in the ball...THen watch the REF come from the top of the screen, He points his fingers down at the ONE!!! Then he call TD after Ben puts the ball over after he is down.....IT'S A SETUP...He is the only ref that could see if from that angle!! YOU WATCH IT AND TELL ME!!! CONFIRM THIS!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzWins23 said:
First off.....Watch the actual play were Ben runs in the ball...THen watch the REF come from the top of the screen, He points his fingers down at the ONE!!! Then he call TD after Ben puts the ball over after he is down.....IT'S A SETUP...He is the only ref that could see if from that angle!! YOU WATCH IT AND TELL ME!!! CONFIRM THIS!

You care enough to type all caps with multiple exclamation points?

Seriously, out of hand.

Good calls, bad calls. No taint on the victory.

AzWins23

Reaction score
Im posting this because it's BS....How can you call a player down at the one, and then call it a TD??

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
The push off call was clearly the right call, too. He had no reason to push off because he would have made the catch anyways. He had separation and the pass would have made it there. Him pushing off with one hand was just a mental mistake. The push off had no bearing on the eventual result of the play, which makes it even worse of a mistake. It's the same thing as if the CB had pushed off or made contact while the ball was in the air but the WR made the catch and the offense declined the penalty. It has no bearing on the result, but it's still a penalty....

If they make that call consistently in the NFL a lot of WR's are going to be out of jobs. I'm not saying he didn't push, I'm just saying a lot worse pushes than that go uncalled every Sunday, right in front of the ref.

I didn't like the holding call either.

To me it was a hard game to watch, Big Ben played really poorly, aside from that 3rd and 28 play and a couple of nice runs, Seattle botched the clock repeatedly, the game just never had a flow to it.

But congrats to Pittsburgh winning 3 in a row on the road to get to the Super Bowl was amazing.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Why isn't anyone talking about the blatant horse-collar on Alexander before Hasselbecks interception?

2nd & over 20 and Alexander is taken down from behind with the most perfect example of a horse collar I have ever witnessed. It would have been a first down after the penalty and they would have never thrown the INT.

The Chop Block.... The almost fumble when Hasselbeck was down...... The first TD that should have been ruled down then reviewed..... Holding, Offensive Pass Interference.... The list is really long.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Even still. Reffing needs to be more consistant. No more good players getting calls, good teams getting the calls. It needs to be even. They also can not be influenced by players bitching like the Offensive PI call.

Plain and simple, reffing needs to be a full time job. Pay them good money, you can afford it NFL.. and make them study game tape all week long so they can see both the good and bad calls. It will never be perfect because people make mistakes, but i'm just tired of people having to question the officiating because of poor calls. I didn't care who won this game but I do think the officiating was skewed towards the steelers because it sure seemed that way to me.. Just like in the Colts Steelers game.. I wanted the Colts to win, but thought they were getting too many calls in their favor that they should never have.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
Why isn't anyone talking about the blatant horse-collar on Alexander before Hasselbecks interception?

2nd & over 20 and Alexander is taken down from behind with the most perfect example of a horse collar I have ever witnessed. It would have been a first down after the penalty and they would have never thrown the INT.

The Chop Block.... The almost fumble when Hasselbeck was down...... The first TD that should have been ruled down then reviewed..... Holding, Offensive Pass Interference.... The list is really long.

The holding call when they got down deep in the redzone was a very bad call. The lineman pretty much missed the block and his gloves were sliding off the defender as he blew by him. He didn't hold, but he got burned badly.

AzWins23

Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

:thumbup:

AzWins23

Reaction score
Seattle got screwed...Plain and simple...Im sorry i ever watch a minute of this SuperBowl...Why play a game if the Refs can't be fair. Name me 1 penalty that went the Seahawks way? It seems like the Cowboys vs Cardinals game this year, when the Cowboys played a perfect game with no penalties

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

And I forgot the gift Time out!! LOL

3nd and 7 and the play clock is at zero..... Ben THEN calls the TO. I mean he was having a seizure trying to get the center to snap the ball. The clock hit zero dudes..... ZERO

They then freaking gave him the time out! The next play.... The little screen to Randle El for 8 yards and a first down. If it was 3rd and 12 they would have never made it.

The problem with many of these calls were the impact they had on the next few plays. Horrible in my opinion.

Last edited:

AzWins23

Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

3nd and 7 and the play clock is at zero..... Ben THEN calls the TO. I mean he was having a seizure trying to get the center to snap the ball. The clock hit zero dudes..... ZERO

They then freaking gave him the time out! The next play.... The little screen to Randle El for 8 yards and a first down. If it was 3rd and 12 they would have never made it.

Talk about the REFS giving the Steelers the game...As much as i don't like Seattle. I kinda feel bad for them. It just wasn't a fair game. I won't give credit to the Steelers, cause they didn't earn the win. The REF's gave the game to them

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:

yup, I forgot about that.

I loved how they showed the instant replay, and it showed clearly that the playclock had reached 0

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
wow I am a cardinal fan so not sorry to see the seahawks lose. And in my opinion the only questionable call was the chop block and after the replay and maddens explanation of the rule it too was correct. Not sure what game you guys were watching that had bias officiating but it was not this one.

It cracks me up when someone questions "what game we are watching" when they agree with the 15 yard chop block penalty. Hasselbeck never hit anyone but the guy returning the interception. He dove low past a blocker and took out the legs of the return man.

It's legal to hit the guy with the ball like that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fiasco said:
It's legal to hit the guy with the ball like that.

This is true, and that was a terrible call. However, the other calls were legit in the game. The endzone pushoff was a proper call. The TD was a TD..by a tiny bit, and the review didn't conclusively prove otherwise.

It was a terrible game though...for flow's sake. It was weird to watch, and a little boring. Ben looked like hell in it, and it swung on BIG plays, not on the refs. Big plays won it outright.

I am seriously suprised to see Cardinal fans so up in arms about the reffing in this game. It's not like the Hags couldn't have won it regardless...the Steelers weren't very good but hit on some big plays. There were some ref calls out there, but that's what you deal with. Nobody is crying because Ben got clearly blocked in the back.

Frankly, I'm ecstatic that the Hags lost the game. I hope it kills them next year and I hope the hell they blame it on the refs...they will die if they do and that is only good for the CARDS.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have awarded the Super Bowl trophy and the MVP award to the Refs aasociation. That was the worst example of imcompetence and ineptitude by a group of refs hand picked by the league for their season long expertise.

Maybe they just selected the refs who would throw the game. Guess they didn't want the dejected Steeler fans to burn down Motown.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pylon call, horsecollar, holding, Offensive pass interference. Two TDs over ruled. Just the worst SB ever. NFL ought to be ashamed. Worse than the Black Sox scandal.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am seriously suprised to see Cardinal fans so up in arms about the reffing in this game.

Easy for us to emphathize with the team getting the suspect calls since we see it happen to the Cards almost every Sunday.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
I saw the game this morning and found the officiating unbearable.

Plenty of BS calls and non-calls, some against the Steelers (Big Ben was clearly shoved from behind after the Herndon pick) but mainly against the Seahawks. They hurt themselves with the dropped balls, some moronic holdings and questionnable plays on both sides of the ball and both end of halves, but the refs killed any momentum they could have had... in the end, one of the most boring games I've seen.

PS for Wally : I think you'd describe yourself as an "agent provOcateur" :)

Last edited:

GreenCard

Reaction score
AZWins---I just heard Phil Simms on the phone and he called Ben's TD the same as you.Ref was going to mark the ball short when he saw Ben and the ball laying over the line and changed his call.

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Steeler players should have dumped the Gatorade on Steve Leavy.

I really didn't care WHO won this game, but fef's miss calls all the time. This isn't directed at you soley, sly. Get off the whole conspiracy theory behind this game. True, it's compelling storybook ending, but no one's talking about the mis-managed series' by the Hawks, at the ends of BOTH halves. THey had chances to swi9ng the game in their favor. As far as the push off in the endzone. If that play would've happened to a Cardinals safety or DB, we'd be up in arms, IMHO.

Once again sly, not directed at you personally just need to get that off my mind.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
From ESPN.com

Game's third team upstaged Steelers, Hawks
By Michael Smith
ESPN.com
Archive

DETROIT -- Three weeks ago, after the Steelers held on to upset Indianapolis, Joey Porter was unhappy about the overturning of Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception that could have sealed the win much earlier. Believing that deep down the league preferred Peyton Manning and the Colts to win, Porter publicly criticized the game officials, asking them not to "take the game from us."

Well, the Steelers can call it even now, as the officials who performed well enough throughout the season to earn the privilege of working Super Bowl XL performed Sunday as though they were trying to make it up to the Steelers by giving them the game -- not just any game, but the biggest game. And, yes, this time the other guys, the Seahawks, cried conspiracy, only not quite as loudly as Porter.

"You know, that's what happens when the world is against you," one Seahawk said after the 21-10 loss at Ford/Heinz Field. "No one wanted us to win. They wanted Jerome Bettis to win and go out a hero, and they got it."

Seattle had its share of goats: in particular, tight end Jerramy Stevens, who dropped four balls, and kicker Josh Brown, who missed two field-goal attempts. Almost to a man, the Seahawks pointed the blame finger at themselves for converting only one of three red zone attempts (when they had been the best in the league in that area, scoring a touchdown on 71.7 percent of their trips inside the 20-yard line); for allowing Ben Roethlisberger to improvise and complete a 37-yard pass to game MVP Hines Ward to the 1; for giving up a 75-yard touchdown run to Willie Parker; and for getting beaten by a trick play on Antwaan Randle El's pass to fellow receiver Ward for a touchdown, a first in Super Bowl history. If you read between the lines, though, they pretty much spelled out in bold letters that they had plenty of help in handing Pittsburgh its fifth Lombardi Trophy.

Namely, the boys in black and white.

"Those things are out of our control," Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said of the three major penalties that helped change the game completely. Not saying the outcome of the game would have been any different, but for sure it would have been a different game. "That's the way [the officials] called them," Hasselbeck continued. "The Steelers played well enough to win tonight, and we didn't. They should get credit. It's disappointing, it's hard, but what are you going to do?"

Here's what referee Bill Leavy's crew did, point blank: It robbed Seattle. The Seahawks could have played better, sure. They could have done more to overcome the poor officiating. We understand that those things happen and all, but even with all the points Seattle left on the field, there's a good chance the Seahawks would have scored more than the Steelers if the officials had let the players play.

In the biggest game of the year, the biggest game in sports, even, the officials were just a little too visible. In that regard, the Super Bowl provided a fitting conclusion to a postseason packed with pitiful performances by the game's third team. There were incorrect down-by-contact rulings in both NFC wild-card games; a touchdown that could have gone either way and should have gone the other way -- in favor of Tampa Bay -- in the Bucs' loss to the Redskins; the Patriots got no love in Denver in being hit with a bogus pass interference penalty and not catching a break on Champ Bailey's fumble at the goal line that looked as though it could have been a touchback; and, of course, the Polamalu play.

Still, what happened to the Seahawks wasn't the same as, say, New England going into Denver and playing badly (five turnovers) on top of the bad calls. Seattle gained almost 400 yards and turned it over just once.

You see, you can spend weeks -- and we did; two, in fact -- analyzing and dissecting matchups and giving each team the edge in certain areas and trying to figure out how the game is going to play out, but the two things you can't account for are turnovers and officials. The latter were the X-factor Sunday. Edge: Steelers.

It actually was a fairly clean game from a penalty standpoint, without a whole lot of yellow on the field -- 10 accepted penalties between the teams. Seven were against the Seahawks, though, a team that tied with Indianapolis for the second-fewest penalties (94) in the regular season. But those calls against the Seahawks stuck out like the Space Needle on the Seattle skyline.

Consider: The Seahawks lost 161 yards to penalties when you combine the penalty yards (70) and the plays the flags wiped out (91). By halftime alone, when it trailed 7-3, Seattle had had 73 hard-earned yards and a touchdown eliminated.

Hasselbeck hit Darrell Jackson with an apparent 16-yard scoring pass in the first quarter, but the play came back when Jackson was called for offensive pass interference. It was a touch foul. Jackson extended his arm, yes, but both players were fighting for position, and he didn't create any separation by doing so. It was like a referee calling a hand-check in a key moment of Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

The Seahawks had to settle for three instead of seven.

Still, that was early, and that one didn't change the game as much as did a holding call against Sean Locklear early in the fourth quarter with Pittsburgh leading 14-10. That one wiped out an 18-yard catch by Stevens that would have taken the ball to the 1. Locklear supposedly held Clark Haggans, so instead of first-and-goal at the 1 and the chance to complete a 98-yard touchdown drive and take a three-point lead, Seattle faced first-and-20 at the 29.

Three plays later, Ike Taylor picked off a Hasselbeck pass, and Hasselbeck went low to make the tackle on Taylor's return and was called for a 15-yard personal foul for a low block. The Steelers set up shop at their 44. That one right there made no sense.

Pittsburgh likes to run its trick plays in the middle of the field. Boom! Four plays later, from Seattle's 43, Randle El took a reverse and threw a sweet strike on the run to Ward. It was 21-10, and that was all she wrote. Everyone knows how important it is to play Pittsburgh with a lead or with the score tied. The Steelers don't lose when they're up by 11.

Eleven just so happens to be the total points taken away by bogus calls. Some penalties meant points; others meant field position. A holding call in the second quarter negated Peter Warrick's 34-yard punt return that would have started Seattle in Pittsburgh territory.

By contrast, the Steelers might have gotten a break on Roethlisberger's 1-yard touchdown plunge on third-and-goal in the second quarter. Leavy reviewed the play under the booth's orders, since it occurred inside the two-minute mark, and while still photos of an airborne Roethlisberger showed that the ball might have broken the plane of the goal line, he landed short of it and reached the ball over. It was close. Head linesman Mark Hittner didn't seem so sure of it, hesitating before signaling touchdown.

"I don't think he scored," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said.

It was that kind of evening for the Seahawks, who represent a town where residents know all too well that when it rains, it pours. If having what seemed like 90 percent of the 68,200 in attendance waving Terrible Towels wasn't enough to make Seattle feel as though it was playing on the road, the officials called it as though the Seahawks actually were.

Pittsburgh capitalized on its opportunities. And guys like Bill Cowher, Ward, Dan Rooney and The Bus are all very deserving of a championship -- and it's nice to see them win one -- but it would have been better had it not happened like this. It's like the Seahawks said: Not taking anything away from the Steelers, but keep it real.

"We had a touchdown taken away from us, the first one we scored," said Hasselbeck, who was measured in his words but clear in his frustration, "and then we had the ball at the 1-yard line, they called a penalty on us. That was unfortunate."

"I thought they were offside [on the play Locklear was called for holding]," center Robbie Tobeck said. "I thought we had a free play on because they had two guys come across. You know, that's the game. In a game, there's situations you have to overcome, and all night long we didn't do a good job of overcoming those things, and that's something we've done all year."

In the offseason, 31 teams will be back at the drawing board, evaluating what they need to do to knock off the Steelers in the fall. After the postseason they just had, Mike Pereira and the NFL's crew of officials would be wise to take a long, hard look at themselves. It's a real shame when, on the game's biggest stage, the major players aren't players at all. We saw too much of the third team in Super Bowl XL and not enough Seahawks and Steelers.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NavyVet said:
And it appears, though not confirmed, that Holmgren classlessly skipped the post-game handshake with Cowher, who appeared to be a tad miffed and looking around the field for him.

Holmgren went to Cowher in the Locker Room after the game - he didn't snub him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser