Report: Source claims Patriots taped Rams before Super Bowl

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
Listen it was commonly done in the NFL by many teams prior to 2007 season. Goodell came out and told the entire league that it better cease. The Pats got caught after being told not to do it. They got hammered and now it is a done deal.

Anything that happened prior to that is irrelevant because everyone in the league knew it was being done they were just mum about it.
It was so common that Dungy, and several other other coaches denounced the pats for the taping. If it was common practice why hasn't any other team been implicated, as that would help calm the storm surrounding the pats and the NFL. As far as Goodell, the issue came after the packers caught them doing it, he then issued a league wide letter to address any team who thought it was legal, that would be the diplomatic thing to do. The truth is you and I don't know to what degree the cheating affected the games. I am wondering why the tapes and other evidence was destroyed so quickly. There are those who think that the NFL did this so fast, because the league would be embarrased that the integrity of past contests was in question, ie the ram Superbowl. Using your logic, steroids was no big deal because so many people were doing it, I think ol Hank disagrees. I bet the millions of people who bet on pats games, either for or against them, would have liked to know that the pats had filmed signals, before they placed their bet. The man is a great coach, but if you think that he has stopped all of his questionable methods, then I have some Super Bowl tickets to sell to you.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Ty Law's INT for TD happened with roughly 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter. Not exactly "early in the game"...probably not even in the Rams 1st 20 offensive plays. But whatever.
26th offensive play. Of course, I'm willing to bet that even if it was the 2nd play, it wouldn't make a difference...to some. Even in the possibility that it might have been an advantage for the Patriots.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how everyone on here would react if they had found it was the Cardinals doing the cheating and not the hated Patriots?

I would say, "Figures. We can't even cheat right!"

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how everyone on here would react if they had found it was the Cardinals doing the cheating and not the hated Patriots?

I don't know how I'd react but I've got a good friend who is a lifelong Pats fan and the scandal bothers the crap out of him. He's at the point where they've won enough Superbowls that he now wants them to ascend to the Steelers Cowboys Niners territory and maybe to the point where they can claim the best dynasty. He knows that will be a problem if people write them off as the dynasty acheived by cheating. And unless they prove their innocence-and thats what they need to do, its not innocent until proven guilty. Unless they prove their innocence they will be the Cheaters Dynasty. Especially in this age of bogus records and cheaters (Marion Jones, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Rafeal Palmeiro etc.) people will write you off as a worthless cheater if there's any evidence. Winning doesn't end the debate these days. You can certainly end up as a paper champ. Essentially a joke. Thats what's at stake. And having a stupid looking chameleon-faced Billichick get up there and apologize but then refuse to say what he apologizes for, that aint gonna cut it. The Patriots better figure out a way to prove to folks their dynasty is legititmate. Its time to start explaining. The stonewalling and obstruction by them and the NFL proves the case against them.

Last edited:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be tough to do that given thy have already be caught cheating

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Going to be tough to do that given thy have already be caught cheating

Yep, got caught, turned over the stuff then went on to have a perfect regular season seemingly without cheating again.

If they didn't cheat since week 1, then the rest of their season is still impressive. Even if it is tainted.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, got caught, turned over the stuff then went on to have a perfect regular season seemingly without cheating again.

If they didn't cheat since week 1, then the rest of their season is still impressive. Even if it is tainted.

Its only tainted to haters.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong to hate cheaters?

No. But they have went through this entire season without cheating save 1 half in a game that it wouldnt have benefitted them in.

It was a league wide problem so IMO you should hate the entire NFL.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I haven't heard ANY reports about the teams that I follow doing it. This league wide epidemic argument is a bit exaggerated from what I've heard. Seems to be linked to Bellichick and his coaching tree. Also, just because it happens doesn't mean it's right or acceptable. Stealing signs in baseball happens but it isn't condoned. It's a big deal when someone get's caught doing it.

But, taping signals is bad enough but if they are found out to have been taping practices of other teams, I don't see how that can be defended in any way. Tendencies is one thing but having the plays and signals for a particlar game is out-and-out cheating. I don't subscribe to the "if you a'int cheating, you ain't trying" point of view. Lombardi, Landry, Shula...those guys won without sinking to the levels the Patriots have. It's not impossible to do and it should be deplorable to anyone who is a fan of sports.

If the taping was of no benefit, why were the Pat's doing it and why were they fined to the maximum under league rules for getting caught?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That guy on the NFL Network said Belicheck will be suspended for a year if an incriminating tape is found.