Revisiting Coach Mac's horrible 2001 and 2002 drafts.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Michael is an attorney not a football guy why would he try to pick players? Operations, contracts, media relations, new stadium, bumping off Bruno Tattaglia, sure but players???

Boone is Mr. Bidwill's long time pal and head of scouting with 40+ years experience. Who do you think has had the final say in ranking the college players for the Cardinals? An attorney????

Maybe Graves has pushed Boone aside and he and Green will be doing the final evaluations and making the decisions on where guys go on their board. We could get some indication of that on Saturday.
Try this ...

Michael is now effectivly in charge (he still publicly defers to his father but I think the reality is clear). Rod Graves is Michael's guy, my understanding is that Rod's promation was engineered by MB.

Denny Green is Michael & Rod's guy.

So no I don't think Michael is selecting players, but he has selcted the people who will select them for him ie Rod & Dennis. There is absolutly no doubt in my mind that Rod and Dennis will be selecting players this weekend.

I think that one of the reasons Rod wanted Dennis Green is because he has a good track record in the draft. If true, it's higly unlikely they have an antagonistist relationship, actualy I find it hard to believe that Rod would deal with anybody like that.

I suspect that the reason Dennis Green has wanted more power in the past is that he didn't trust the guys working with him. I think Rod gave him the ground rules, then told him to run with it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
nidan said:
Try this ...

Michael is now effectivly in charge (he still publicly defers to his father but I think the reality is clear). Rod Graves is Michael's guy, my understanding is that Rod's promation was engineered by MB.

So no I don't think Michael is selecting players, but he has selcted the people who will select them for him ie Rod & Dennis. There is absolutly no doubt in my mind that Rod and Dennis will be selecting players this weekend.

I think that one of the reasons Rod wanted Dennis Green is because he has a good track record in the draft. If true, it's higly unlikely they have an antagonistist relationship, actualy I find it hard to believe that Rod would deal with anybody like that.

I suspect that the reason Dennis Green has wanted more power in the past is that he didn't trust the guys working with him. I think Rod gave him the ground rules, then told him to run with it.

That's fine for this year's draft but it doesn't eliminate the possibility that Boone had his fingerprints all over the McGinnis drafts.

But more importantley how are all these changes going to affect Boone's role with the team and influence on the draft this year?

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
nidan said:
Try this ...

Good/great managers don't have to be subject matter experts. They just need to know enough to bring in the people who are. :thumbup:

Mac was a great guy, by all accounts. Most of us got sucked in to
some extent, and wanted to believe. He's gone now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05