Rice, Pittman, Jackson to return.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Ex-Cards look back on dog days

JIM BROCKMAN

Herald Staff Writer

Pittman, Rice and Jackson all paid their dues in Arizona and survived

TAMPA - Players don't leave Arizona.

They flee. They run from the Cardinals as fast as they can to save their NFL careers.

Three current Tampa Bay Buccaneers are among the Arizona refugees around the league. Defensive end Simeon Rice, safety Dexter Jackson and running back Michael Pittman all survived their Arizona stints.

None of them has anything good to say about their former team. The closest any of them came to saying something positive was Pittman stressing that he never had a problem with any of his coaches there.

It was also Pittman who made the most revealing remark about his old team without even realizing it. He likened it to a sentence rather than the four seasons he spent there.

"I did my time there," Pittman said after Wednesday's practice at One Buccaneer Place. "I do appreciate the fact that they drafted me. But it's not a franchise I would want to stay with. It's not the coaches. It's just the ownership (Bill Bidwill) and the way the team was run."

When told he actually compared playing football for Arizona with a jail term, Pittman said he didn't say that. Then he slipped and said it again.

Pittman couldn't help himself from saying it again. He also couldn't help himself from laughing after hearing himself say it again.

But being an Arizona Cardinal was never a laughing matter.

"It's a place I would never want to go back to," Pittman said. "Honestly, I would retire before I would go back to Arizona. It just seems like they don't want to build a championship there. It's all about making money."

Rice escaped Arizona after the 2000 season. His take on his time there was colorful to say the least.

"When I was out at the black hole in the armpit of the NFL . . ." Rice said.

That's really all you need to know.

Jackson was voted the MVP of Tampa Bay's victory in Super Bowl XXXVII. Following that, he signed a $12.5 million contract with the Cardinals.

Jackson was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2003, his first season in Arizona. This year, under first-year head coach Denny Green, Jackson was released with a back injury without playing a down.

That didn't surprise Pittman.

"That's the Cardinals," Pittman said. "That's just the way they are. I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible."

Jackson had several harsh comments about Arizona and Green after the Bucs re-signed him on Nov. 16. Since returning to Tampa, his view of the Cardinals has mellowed somewhat.

"No, I can't," Jackson said when asked if he still had animosity toward the organization. "That's done. That's spilled milk. Life goes on."

However . . .

"It would really be nice (to make some big plays), just to show them that they made a mistake," Jackson said.

Rice and Pittman were both Cardinals the last time they made it to the playoffs in 1998.

"The owner needs to step up and pay some players and get some key marquee players," Pittman said. "If you ask other players who played for that team, they'll say the same thing. They tender a guy (an offer) and then let him go to test the free agent market."

OP
OP
CardinalLaw

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
I wouldn't know if I would Boo or Cheer for Rice or Pittman if they got injured on Sun. Cheer because I am happy they got injured. Or boo cause I hate them that much.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
"I did my time there," Pittman said after Wednesday's practice at One Buccaneer Place. "I do appreciate the fact that they drafted me. But it's not a franchise I would want to stay with. It's not the coaches. It's just the ownership (Bill Bidwill) and the way the team was run."

Pittman wasn't drafted, he was a UFA. :rolleyes:

It's a technicality, but it shows the mentality of this guy IMO.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Pittman was one of my favorite Cards of recent years... Loved his hard hitting run style.

Too bad they don't keep life in perspective when making comments. Making millions of dollars a year being an NFL player isn't a bad thing for any player on any team.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Awww you guys made your millions of dollars and you guys are still crying. waaaaa. The Cardinals are the armpit of the NFL. waaaaaaaa I can wait till I got out of there. waaaaaaaaa. Good riddance. :wave:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
SeattleCard said:
Pittman was one of my favorite Cards of recent years... Loved his hard hitting run style.
huh? hard hitting? The only thing I remember from Pittman was plowing thru his Linemans back cause he lacks vision and patience for a back.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad Pittman doesn't have anything good to say about us. That guy is such a sickening scumbag. Three time domestic violence loser, who ran his hummer into a car that had his child inside. Its pitiful the league can't get rid of a piece of trash like that, but at least he no longer plays for us. If it is true the Bidwills ran that guy out of town and won't have a piece a garbage like that on their team then they deserve a gold star. Even if they don't know how to build a winning team, at least they know how to take out the trash.

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
vince56 said:

Ummmmm... we drafted him in the 4th round.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
"The owner needs to step up and pay some players and get some key marquee players," Pittman said. "If you ask other players who played for that team, they'll say the same thing. They tender a guy (an offer) and then let him go to test the free agent market."
*clears throat*

Adrian Wilson?

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Pittman referring to his time here as a sentance, is understandable since he has a lot of experience with our criminal justice system.

Jackson? I hear him saying "it was tooooo haaaard" to be a Cardinal when Denny Green came to town.

Simeon has always been an idiot, everyone knows that.

When we win Sunday, we'll have a better record than these guys, so everything they said is wrong.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Ex-Cards look back on dog days

When told he actually compared playing football for Arizona with a jail term, Pittman said he didn't say that. Then he slipped and said it again.
As I recall, when discussing jail, Pittman is an expert witness.

I hope we pound the Bucs.

The Shark

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I REALLY, REALLY want us to win Sunday.

I'm beyond tired of hearing former players and the media kick the team around and ignore changes that have taken place. Bottom line though, only wins will change the perception this team has. I'm even more tired of losing than I am of hearing buttwipes like Pittman take shots at the Cards.

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
vince56 said:

Pittman was a 7th rounder out of Fresno state. pretty good pick in the 7th round if you asked me. To bad he was better at driving into his wifes car than into the endzone when he was here. :rolleyes:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pittman was a fourth round pick, syracusecard is right.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:
Ummmmm... we drafted him in the 4th round.
Michael Pittman #32 RB

Tampa Bay

DOB: Aug 14, 1975

Place of Birth: New Orleans, LA

Hometown: San Diego, CA

College: Fresno State

HT: 6-0 WT: 218

NFL Seasons: 6

Drafted by Arizona in 1998 (4/95).

----

Maybe vince was thinking of Marcel Shipp?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
huh? hard hitting? The only thing I remember from Pittman was plowing thru his Linemans back cause he lacks vision and patience for a back.

He is hard hitting. Just ask his wife.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vince56 said:

LMAO!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pittman always played hard when he was here. Rice cannot say the same thing.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
This article shows why the Bucs blow. A bunch of individuals that put themselves ahead of their team. I kind of feel sorry for Gruden. I'd rather have a bunch of team guys with less talent than these clowns.