RIP: Al McCoy (1933-2024)

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Mr. McCoy resided at the time of his passing? Apparently, he used to be a longtime Glendale resident around 47th and Olive, a mile or so from my longtime home (until I left Arizona last March), and I never knew it until my mother pointed out (maybe five years ago) that McCoy was occasionally seen in the neighborhood stores (I think specificallythe 51st & Olive Safeway before it went out of business); but I have seen someone on another Suns site refer to McCoy's home in Holbrook. Holbrook? That was news to me if he lived in Holbrook. His retirement home?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone know where Mr. McCoy resided at the time of his passing? Apparently, he used to be a longtime Glendale resident around 47th and Olive, a mile or so from my longtime home (until I left Arizona last March), and I never knew it until my mother pointed out (maybe five years ago) that McCoy was occasionally seen in the neighborhood stores (I think specificallythe 51st & Olive Safeway before it went out of business); but I have seen someone on another Suns site refer to McCoy's home in Holbrook. Holbrook? That was news to me if he lived in Holbrook. His retirement home?

I think you're confusing Al and Coach Budenholzer a little bit. Coach Bud grew.up in Holbrook, and that point has been a talking point all off-season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No clue about a home in Holbrook, but I saw him several times at a BBQ place, Dillon's, they had 3 or 4 locations. I suspect he lived somewhere around North Central Phoenix because this particular Dillon's was around Central and Dunlap, and it seems like I saw him there every other time I went, must have been his lunch spot. That location closed in 2016 or so, too bad, their food was awesome and their other locations are quite a drive from where I live.

Anyway, I only approached him the first time I saw him there, just a quick "Hi, you're great, I miss the simulcast, go Suns", he was very friendly, the times I saw him after that I'd give him a nod or a wave, he'd reciprocate. Came off as the same guy we all listened to for years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake