RJ to SF

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Per EVT, 1 yr-$8M base w/ possible $2.5M additionally through bonuses.

We offered $2.5M, no wonder he was pissed.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sabean has been giving signing players to big contracts this offseason, thankfully they aren't long term deals.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
New York part deaux, screw him!
No, he gets the chance to play close to where he was born. I can't say I blame him. :shrug:
I still don't like the whole New York thing tho.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No, he gets the chance to play close to where he was born. I can't say I blame him. :shrug:
I still don't like the whole New York thing tho.

This is about "EIGHT MILLION" dollars and nothing else!

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
This is about "EIGHT MILLION" dollars and nothing else!
You have proof that it was all about money? Sure, that's a lot of money, but he was born close by.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Honestly, I'll still probably cheer for him a little when he pitches (except when he plays Arizona). I'm just happy he doesn't have to retire. Were the DBacks even interested in resigning him? O.K. 2.5 M interested.
BTW I'll feel a similar way when Kurt Warner has to play elsewhere next year. If a team gives him another chance and he still wants to play.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, I'll still probably cheer for him a little when he pitches (except when he plays Arizona). I'm just happy he doesn't have to retire. Were the DBacks even interested in resigning him? O.K. 2.5 M interested.
BTW I'll feel a similar way when Kurt Warner has to play elsewhere next year. If a team gives him another chance and he still wants to play.

Big surprise.
You are a player fan.
I am a team fan.

Why would I want RJ to get wins when it would allow SF have a better record than the Diamondbacks?

Just like Duyba said, "you're either with us or against us."

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Big surprise.
You are a player fan.
I am a team fan.

Why would I want RJ to get wins when it would allow SF have a better record than the Diamondbacks?

Just like Duyba said, "you're either with us or against us."
He'll only pitch 1/5-1/4 of the games. The rest of the Giants can go close to winless all I care. You're right to a point tho. I'm loyal to my teams, but at the same time there are players that I do like. In baseball Randy Johnson is one of my favorites.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
$10.5 mil for a 46 year old who may have back problems? I love RJ to death and wish we could make it work for him to come back this season, but not at that price tag. Too big of a liability. Dont forget that they have that gargantuan Barry Zito contract still on their hands and Lincecum has a big pay day coming up.

Plus, SF has no bats. They wont be a threat in the NL west

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
I would have taken the $8-10.5M too over the $2.5 if I was in his place. :p

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
Where did you get your information? azCentral is reporting that he may make up to $5 million in incentives, meaning he could make $13M.

I think Randy was willing to take a home town discount, but it's hard to say for sure. I would've paid him $5 - $6M to stay, but no more than that. The D-Backs only offered $2.5 - $3M.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
sad to see him go RJ was my favorite d back! Also i bet he likes the fact he is going to a division rivial we play a decent amount during the year. I am sure he would rather have that than go to an american league team and never see the d backs.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
whatever, i doubt he will be good for them. lincecum didnt even get 20 wins for them. i doubt RJ even gets 8.

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
Like the guy is not financially set for the rest of his life. There's ONE single reason he's returning, and that's for #300. Why would he not get that win with what we can all argue as being HIS team.

Pretty sad that he wouldn't give the team that gave him his only real opportunity to bounce back after his disaster in New York a final farewall 'Thank You'. For a 'measley' 3mil. Poor, poor under appreciated bastard. :mad:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't blame him, the DBacks lowballed him, and he left for a team that now has a ridiculously scary rotation.

shoewizard

Reaction score
http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_026043324.html

D'backs out in left field
Arizona keeps coming up short in trying to add a veteran to its rotation, but then with only $4 million or so to offer in salary, the opportunity to land a proven pitcher is slim.
Veteran lefty Randy Wolf, who had nixed a three-year, $28.5-million deal to stay in Houston, turned down a one-year deal with two years of options in the most recent rejection. That came after Jon Garland blew off a similar deal.
Randy Johnson headed to San Francisco when the Diamondbacks tried to re-sign him for $6 million. Brad Penny also said no thanks before he went to Boston.