Robert Horry = Greatest Role Player Ever

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
My memory might be a little hazy due to how young I was during the Showtime Lakers era, but I recall Cooper making some big buckets to go along with his superb defense in the mid 1980s. I could be confusing with him Byron Scott though.

I thought Cooper was one of the most underrated guys of his era. He was the Laker's best man defender and their best three point shooter coming in off the bench.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Confusing Byron Scott and Michael Cooper does indicate a pretty hazy memory. Cooper was like an athletic version of Bruce Bowen, maybe a little less annoying. He even guarded some big players well - like Larry Bird. And like Bowen his half court offense was mostly 3 pointers but he ran out on the break well. Byron on the other hand wasn't noted for his defense, though he wasn't terrible. I don't think Byron was particularly good at the 3 pt shot, but I wouldn't argue if some Laker fan with a long memory insisted he was.

George, I never thought Cooper was greatly underrated - certainly knowledgeable fans appreciated his game and I remember him getting good press.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Confusing Byron Scott and Michael Cooper does indicate a pretty hazy memory.
My memory is hazy on who was hitting a lot of big shots for those Laker teams, not the differences between the two players. I recognize the difference between a versatile swingman like Cooper and a pure scorer like Scott.

Last edited: