Yao
Swift
T-Mac

Thats a good signing for them.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
Was on Realgm..

Forward Stromile Swift, the only player the Rockets have targeted in free agency, agreed to terms with the Rockets on Monday evening, Swift's agent, Andy Miller, said.

Swift spent almost two weeks since visiting the Rockets considering his options, including a strong push by the New Jersey Nets , but Miller said Swift, 6-10, decided the chance to play with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming inspired him to take the Rockets' offer.

The Rockets, who are over the salary cap, could offer only the midlevel exception, expected to be worth between $28 million and $32 million over five years. He likely could have received greater offers, particularly in a sign-and-trade deal, but decided to end his free agency.

Swift, 25, has averaged nine points and five rebounds in five NBA seasons.

"He has decided to become a Houston Rocket," Miller said. "He's absolutely excited about playing with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. The Houston organization has been very consistent and adamant about getting him." [READ]

----------------------------------
Idk how Swift will respond in Van Gundy's system but on paper alone Swift, T-Mac and Ming looks like they could do some damage

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Suns are looking at a 6-7 seed, if they don't resign JJ... even the Warriors could improve, depending on who they sign. Match JJ.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Personally I think Swift is overrated, the Rockets are weak defensively in the middle with Swift and Yao.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Would that make Mutombo available? :D

:thumbup:

Seriously, I think Swift is viewed as a PF. This suggests that Juwan Howard, Vin Baker, and Clarence Weatherspoon are going to get shopped. Baker and Weatherspoon are on the last year of their contracts.

Adding Swift suggests a shift in tactics by Van Gundy. None of their bigs run and they have seen the future - it runs.

I'm not sure if this makes Mutombo expendible for them, but if they do play Swift some at the pivot, it might.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
The Suns are looking at a 6-7 seed, if they don't resign JJ... even the Warriors could improve, depending on who they sign. Match JJ.

As long as Baron stays healthy Warriors will make playoffs next year...

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yeah a guy who bailed on his team when they needed him the most this is a great signing for the rockets.

I am sure some of you grass is always green somewhere else dudes will defend him though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Yeah a guy who bailed on his team when they needed him the most this is a great signing for the rockets.

I am sure some of you grass is always green somewhere else dudes will defend him though.

no one's saying Swift is the second coming - but are you saying that this wasn't an upgrade from garbage like Weatherspoon, Howard and Vin Baker?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Juwan Howard was awful last year -- I'm not sure why, maybe just age catching up to him -- but overall, he has shown more over his career than Swift has. Athleticism isn't everything.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Juwan Howard was awful last year -- I'm not sure why, maybe just age catching up to him -- but overall, he has shown more over his career than Swift has. Athleticism isn't everything.

No it's not - but Juwan was pretty bad last year and in the last two years was putting up good stats on really, really bad teams as the second option. Not to mention he's 33. Regardless of the player Juwan used to be (which even when playing on good teams was nothing special), we're talking about the here and now. It may not be a big upgrade, but I think it's an upgrade nonetheless.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Juwan's stats were odd. He shot a respectable 45.1% but averaged only 9.6 ppg. His rebounding was no great shakes at about .22 per minute, but was not much below his numbers in Denver. My guess is that he is no longer capable of even trying to play SF but is not really physical enough to play inside. He may simply be a bad fit for the Rockets, but he'll continue to get minutes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I also wonder if Swift is an insurance policy for when Yao becomes a free agent. Word is the Lakers are freeing up salaries to be in position to offer Yao a max contract when he becomes a free agent. Plus they will roll out the movie stars, potential media deals he could have in LA, emphasize their larger Asian community, etc. LA is going to try hard for Yao, and will have a shot at him. The Rockets have to be trying hard to resign Yao, or if he becomes a free agent, he will probably go to LA, imho. ;)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
this is bad news guys....i look at the rockets as a team to finish in the top 4 in the west and i think swift is going to bring athleticism to the front line that Yao does not have. This is a great signing for them and if you count tracy as a small forward, they now have the best front line in the game. Hopefully they dont get damon stoudamire and their pg play continues to be terrible...but the previous poster is right...If we dont resign JJ we will take a tumble down in the standings to about the 6 or 7 seed. The west is just too good.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
This isn't the greatest move for the Rockets who play in the half-court. Swift's problem is that he doesn't have much of a half-court game, but put him on a running team like the Suns or the Nets and he would be great. I think they would have been better off with Adur Rahim and the Nets with Swift.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan