Rotation: Vargas and Hasley to battle for #5 spot in rotation, El Duque #2 starter

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will be the No. 2 starter behind Brandon Webb in the Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation.

Manager Bob Melvin announced four members of the rotation, all right-handers, and their order on Saturday. Miguel Batista, moving back to a starting role after closing for Toronto, is No. 3, followed by Russ Ortiz.

The No. 5 spot will go to either right-hander Claudio Vargas or left-hander Brad Halsey.

The 26-year-old Webb, who will start the season opener at Colorado April 1, is the only one of the top four under 31.

Hernandez, listed at 36 but probably closer to 40, was acquired from the Chicago White Sox in the Javier Vazquez trade. Hernandez was 9-9 with a 5.12 ERA for the World Series champs last season.

Batista, 35, came with second baseman Orlando Hudson in the deal that sent Troy Glaus to Toronto. He is glad to be back starting and even happier to return to the Diamondbaccks, where he was 29-26 over three seasons and was part of the rotation for the 2001 World Series title team.

Returning to a starting role has been easier than he thought, he said.

"It's going real well," Batista said. "I thought I'd be really tired at first and that wasn't the case."

Ortiz, 31, was 5-11 with a career-worst 6.89 ERA in an injury-plagued 2005 campaign. He had made 226 consecutive starts before going on the disabled list with a strained rib cage last June.

Due to earn $7 million this season as part of his four-year, $33 million contract by Arizona, Ortiz had never gone through a season with so many problems, and he said he has learned from the experience.

"After I sat down and thought about it, I learned a lot about the game, about myself," Ortiz said.

Ortiz said starting down in the No. 4 spot doesn't mean much once the season gets going.

"I would like to feel like I can pitch anywhere in the rotation, but it's not my decision," he said. "What can I do about it? I'm going to pitch every fifth day like everybody else. Things change throughout the year. Here's going to be days off, there's going to be rainouts, guys might have to miss a start."

In the fight for the No. 5 spot, Vargas is 2-1 this spring with a 5.79 ERA. Halsey is 1-2 with a 9.00 ERA. Halsey is scheduled to pitch Sunday against the Cubs in Mesa. Vargas will go Tuesday against the White Sox in Tucson.

From ESPN.com

Last edited:

McCray

Reaction score
i thought vasquez was the opening day starter last season, not ortiz? aside from that, i think we're looking at a truly horrendous starting rotation. i'm figuring webb will be good, batista might be league average, vargas will end up around average to slightly below, and everyone else will be bad bad bad. hopefully, we only have to watch the old guys be bad for the first half, and we can spend the second half watching the kids be bad.

i'd rather watch a blowout if i knew a young pitcher might be learning something from it, rather than knowing russ would say he "felt real good" afterwards, and he was "hitting all his spots."

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCray said:
i thought vasquez was the opening day starter last season, not ortiz?
That's correct, it was Vazquez on Opening Day last season.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
McCray said:
i thought vasquez was the opening day starter last season, not ortiz? aside from that, i think we're looking at a truly horrendous starting rotation. i'm figuring webb will be good, batista might be league average, vargas will end up around average to slightly below, and everyone else will be bad bad bad. hopefully, we only have to watch the old guys be bad for the first half, and we can spend the second half watching the kids be bad.

i'd rather watch a blowout if i knew a young pitcher might be learning something from it, rather than knowing russ would say he "felt real good" afterwards, and he was "hitting all his spots."

Vazquez was the Opening Day Starter last year.. This article writer didn't do his homework.

As for the rotation, other than Webb, I really don't feel too optimistic about this rotation. Perhaps, if we're lucky, El Duque gives the Diamondbacks two good months, then becomes a hot commodity at the trade deadline.. Batista, we'll have to see what becomes of him, after making the transition back to the starting rotation.. Ortiz, basically as much as we all want him shipped on the first bus out of Phoenix, we're pretty much stuck with him, so the hope is he can revert some back to the guy who pitched with some success for the Giants and Braves.

Thank God the farm has some pitching with a bright future, because if the rotation currently in place is bleh.

shoewizard

Reaction score
It's going to be tough to remain patient this year. Like McCray said, I would rather watch a youngin get shelled, in the hopes that he learns something from it, than watch the ancients and the awful (Ortiz) continue to get shelled, for no other reason then they are getting paid too much to sit/send down/release.

I have NO HOPE at all that Ortiz will regain anything similar to his form of a few years ago. He has NO PRAYER to get his ERA under 5.00

AZZenny

Reaction score
LOL -- I misread the post and thought it said "Hernandez, listed at 360 but probably closer to ..." Donuts for all!

This starting rotation is just horrendous. The worry is that some of our best and brightest might get traded for an improvement, since right now, we've got one remotely possible 15 game winner and 3 or 4 that'd require divine intervention to get ten games.

NO ONE IS PAID TOO MUCH TO SIT OR RELEASE -- That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
You must be registered for see images

McCray

Reaction score
i'm having a bad gut feeling we might be looking at a historically bad rotation, if webb fails to completely dominate. this is going to be ugly. real ugly.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Ortiz? :barf:

This guy would not start for any other team in the bigs or even AAA for that matter.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
McCray said:

Me too. I would rather just cut him or send him to MR. I would much rather lose having young pitchers out there taking their lumps learning how to pitch to ML talent.

They have a very young talented core of fielders, so I don’t mind losing for a while waiting for them to develop. As long as they begin to restock their pitching staff.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why is Vargas #5?

He is a far superior player to Ortiz.

Ortiz should be #5.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
1. Webb
2. Duque
3. Batista
4. Vargas

Looks a lot better right now than it did a couple of weeks ago.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Vargas is such a great pickup.... I can't believe he is the same guy that stunk it up for the Nationals. Did our pitching coach actually make adjustments or what? He has a great fastball

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He had a decent rookie season but completely bombed out. Frank Robinson's stupidity might have had something to do with it as he also ran high ceiling pitchers like Tomo Ohka (remember the Spivey for Ohka heist last year?) and Zach Day out of town. The ex-Expos are kind of like the Cardinals of MLB in that you really have to leave in most cases to take your game to the next level.