Rumor: Edwin Jackson

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hudson had arguably one of the best starts all season for a D-back pitcher yesterday! The kid is indeed a potential #1 STUD! No guarantees of course, but he's got everything a kid needs to become just that, a #1 stud! And yesterday he put it on full display... impressive to say the least!

Uh Enright had a gem his first start, 8 IP, 1 run and even won his second start but has come down to Earth losing his last 2. Let's see a few more starts before you start declaring him the second coming of Christ.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Uh Enright had a gem his first start, 8 IP, 1 run and even won his second start but has come down to Earth losing his last 2. Let's see a few more starts before you start declaring him the second coming of Christ.

Second coming of Christ?? That's funny... Anyway, did Enright receive the honors and attention in AAA that Hudson has??

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Second coming of Christ?? That's funny... Anyway, did Enright receive the honors and attention in AAA that Hudson has??

Point is hype or not your boy Hudson is not an ace, he had a great 1st start but so did Enright. Find me a credible analyst who thinks Hudson is an ace or will develop into an ace and I'll show you someone who is smokin crack. Now he could turn into a #2 at best but not an ace, CHW would not have given him up if that were the case.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I think that Barry Enright's initial performance is somewhere between the two metaphors you mentioned.

After his first four starts, he was 2-2 with a 2.66 ERA. It's safe to say that the 2-2 record reflects a team buried in last place, while his ERA reflects hope for the future.

Here is an article about him after those first four starts.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...arizona-diamondbacks-barry-enright-track.html

Let's enjoy the ride and hope for the best!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Point is hype or not your boy Hudson is not an ace, he had a great 1st start but so did Enright. Find me a credible analyst who thinks Hudson is an ace or will develop into an ace and I'll show you someone who is smokin crack. Now he could turn into a #2 at best but not an ace, CHW would not have given him up if that were the case.

He was the #3 overall prospect for the Sox. He won Minor League Player of the Year. He dominated at every level, particularly AAA. IMHO, I think he's got a very solid shot at becoming a #1 in the majors. Time will tell...
Oh - as for the Sox trading him, as was stated earlier in this thread, the Sox thought they had a deal with the Nats for Dunn. Makes sense to me...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Hudson and Saunders, this could be the rotation next year and I am willing to give it a chance.

No Particular order.
Kennedy
Saunders
Hudson
Enright
Parker/Webb

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
He was the #3 overall prospect for the Sox. He won Minor League Player of the Year. He dominated at every level, particularly AAA. IMHO, I think he's got a very solid shot at becoming a #1 in the majors. Time will tell...
Oh - as for the Sox trading him, as was stated earlier in this thread, the Sox thought they had a deal with the Nats for Dunn. Makes sense to me...

He doesn't have the stuff. In the Mets game he threw 70+ fastballs (which sat between (90-93mph). His fastball has some late life but not much. Most pitchers cannot be successful throwing that many fastballs - major leaguers will tee off. The Mets are simply a bad team and did not take advantage. Believe me I still like his future, but as I stated previously his upside is a #2 starter MAX and more like a #3.

Jarrod Parker has ACE upside if he can come back healthy from Tommy John. He is currently ahead of schedule in his rehab and will begin pitching some simulated games in a few weeks and will either come out of the bullpen for his minor league team's playoff run or wait until the Arizona Fall League to see game action.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He doesn't have the stuff. In the Mets game he threw 70+ fastballs (which sat between (90-93mph). His fastball has some late life but not much. Most pitchers cannot be successful throwing that many fastballs - major leaguers will tee off. The Mets are simply a bad team and did not take advantage. Believe me I still like his future, but as I stated previously his upside is a #2 starter MAX and more like a #3.

Jarrod Parker has ACE upside if he can come back healthy from Tommy John. He is currently ahead of schedule in his rehab and will begin pitching some simulated games in a few weeks and will either come out of the bullpen for his minor league team's playoff run or wait until the Arizona Fall League to see game action.

Go back and look at Matt Garza's no near perfect no hitter a few weks ago, and check out how many fastballs he threw in that game. IIRC, more than 80% of his pitches were fastballs.

Anyway, time will certainly tell the story here. And yes, Parker does indeed have ACE stuff. Hope he can make it all the way back from TJ surgery...

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Go back and look at Matt Garza's no near perfect no hitter a few weks ago, and check out how many fastballs he threw in that game. IIRC, more than 80% of his pitches were fastballs.

Anyway, time will certainly tell the story here. And yes, Parker does indeed have ACE stuff. Hope he can make it all the way back from TJ surgery...

True, but Garza's fastball hits 93-96 and will occasionally touch 98. His stuff is better than Hudson's. Hudson will rely more on location and finesse where Garza will try to overpower. Not saying Hudson can't be successful (obviously Maddox and etc have done it with less), but he'll need to be pinpoint every night to be successful.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jackson did well in his first start for White Sox.

If the story out of Chicago is true, and they found an easily correctible mechanical flaw in Jackson that we never found, then anyone who ever works with the pitchers needs to be fired ASAP.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If the story out of Chicago is true, and they found an easily correctible mechanical flaw in Jackson that we never found, then anyone who ever works with the pitchers needs to be fired ASAP.
That would be Mel Anyone, Jr.

What more does the FA need to hear and see to realize that?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True, but Garza's fastball hits 93-96 and will occasionally touch 98. His stuff is better than Hudson's. Hudson will rely more on location and finesse where Garza will try to overpower. Not saying Hudson can't be successful (obviously Maddox and etc have done it with less), but he'll need to be pinpoint every night to be successful.

Against the #1 team in the West, the kid was dominant... again! Who knows what the future holds, but IMHO, thus far the former minor league player of the year is looking every bit as a potential #1 ace. ;)

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another good outing from Edwin Jackson today. Mel Jr. needs to go as soon as possible. He and Rick Schu should be long, long gone.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Another good outing from Edwin Jackson today. Mel Jr. needs to go as soon as possible. He and Rick Schu should be long, long gone.

You do know Rick Schu isn't our hitting coach? He was fired early last year. Jack Howell is our hitting coach.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Besides Schu, I think Melvin should be fired.;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hudson throws yet another gem!! 7 innings. 9 k's. 1 walk. 2 earned runs. Now 3 & 0 in 3 starts with the team, with a .75 WHIP and a 1.59 ERA!!! ACE! ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Another terrific outing tonight for Hudson... 3 runs, 7 innings, 9 hits, 10 K's and ZERO walks.

Tremendous beginning to his D-Back career!

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And another terrific outing for Jackson. 1 ER and 11 Ks in 7 innings. He has given up 1 run in each of his 3 starts. As good as Hudson has been, Jackson has been better. I still really like the trade, BUT MEL STOTTLEMYRE HAS TO GO.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
And another terrific outing for Jackson. 1 ER and 11 Ks in 7 innings. He has given up 1 run in each of his 3 starts. As good as Hudson has been, Jackson has been better. I still really like the trade, BUT MEL STOTTLEMYRE HAS TO GO.

I have no doubt that if the interim tag is taken off of Gibby in the offseason both Howell and Stott are gone. The downside to that, and I want them gone, is that will be three different hitting and pitching coaches the players have to deal with in three years.

Not to mention 3 different managers.

Jesus these guys need some stability. Byrnes really effed up this team.