Sad News In Carolina: Fields out for 2005 Season After Cancer Returns

Jim O

Reaction score
Panthers' Fields out for '05 after cancer returns
NFL.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (May 5, 2005) -- Carolina Panthers linebacker Mark Fields will miss the 2005 season after a recurrence of Hodgkin's disease, his agent said.

Fields missed the 2003 season while he battled the disease but returned last year to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl. He declined to sign Carolina's offer of a contract extension in March, saying he wanted to wait until after an annual medical checkup that was part of the cancer treatment.

Doctors discovered during tests this week that the Hodgkin's disease has returned and is in its early stages, agent Jim Steiner said.

"Obviously, our first concern is Mark's health and our prayers are with him as he goes through this process," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "We knew this was a possibility, but we certainly weren't hoping this was the case. Our main concern right now is to be as supportive as we can to Mark."

As Fields cleaned out his locker on the final day of the season, he said he only wanted to play for the Panthers and joked that he would re-sign for $2.

He had 60 tackles, four sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one interception last season and was named a first alternate to the Pro Bowl. He played in the game for the second time in his career as an injury substitute.

He was honored in March at the 27th Annual Ed Block Courage Awards for courage and sportsmanship. One player from every team is chosen for the award by his teammates.

The news comes less than three weeks after Panthers linebackers coach Sam Mills died after a nearly two-year battle with intestinal cancer. He was 45.

Mills first delivered news of his disease in August 2003, two weeks after the team learned that Fields had cancer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that sucks, by all accounts a good guy and a good player hope he beats it for good this time.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Jim O said:
NFL.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (May 5, 2005) -- Carolina Panthers linebacker Mark Fields will miss the 2005 season after a recurrence of Hodgkin's disease, his agent said.

Fields missed the 2003 season while he battled the disease but returned last year to earn a trip to the Pro Bowl. He declined to sign Carolina's offer of a contract extension in March, saying he wanted to wait until after an annual medical checkup that was part of the cancer treatment.

Doctors discovered during tests this week that the Hodgkin's disease has returned and is in its early stages, agent Jim Steiner said.

"Obviously, our first concern is Mark's health and our prayers are with him as he goes through this process," Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. "We knew this was a possibility, but we certainly weren't hoping this was the case. Our main concern right now is to be as supportive as we can to Mark."

As Fields cleaned out his locker on the final day of the season, he said he only wanted to play for the Panthers and joked that he would re-sign for $2.

He had 60 tackles, four sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one interception last season and was named a first alternate to the Pro Bowl. He played in the game for the second time in his career as an injury substitute.

He was honored in March at the 27th Annual Ed Block Courage Awards for courage and sportsmanship. One player from every team is chosen for the award by his teammates.

The news comes less than three weeks after Panthers linebackers coach Sam Mills died after a nearly two-year battle with intestinal cancer. He was 45.

Mills first delivered news of his disease in August 2003, two weeks after the team learned that Fields had cancer.

Thats awful....I hope he gets well! The Panthers have really been rocked by bad news lately

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jim O said:
He declined to sign Carolina's offer of a contract extension in March, saying he wanted to wait until after an annual medical checkup that was part of the cancer treatment.

that says all you need to know about the guy.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
What is amazing is that he sat out all of 2003 while he battled cancer, came back in 2004 and made the Pro Bowl. Are you kidding me?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim O said:
What is amazing is that he sat out all of 2003 while he battled cancer, came back in 2004 and made the Pro Bowl. Are you kidding me?

Yeah, I hadnt realized theat either until this latest story came out. Simply amazing.

A-Bomb

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim O said:

When I went through Chemo and Radiation it took me about 6 months to get back to normal. It's easier for younger people to recover from cancer treatment. Older folks bodies don't regenerate as quickly and they often struggle to get healthy after treatment.

It's still an amazing feet however that he was able to return to a Pro Bowl level in less than a year. I still can't believe how sucessful Lance Armstrong was after he came back from serious cancer treatment. The French press once suggested that the chemo treatment actually ehanced his ability some way.
:shrug:
Lance just laughed.

It kills me to hear stories like this. It's the biggest fear of most cancer survivors. You kind of have to block out of your mind the fact that you may relapse. Still those scheduled check ups scare the hell out of you. I'm sure that Fields is ready to fight this again. He seems like a strong individual and it sounds like they caught it at an early stage which is good.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
When he played with the Saints he was one of my favorite players, I love this guy. I wish him the best.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Living in North Carolina the last 4 years I paid alot of attention to Panthers football. A great organization from top to bottom. There was SO much news and info about Fields and Mills. Many interviews.

Mark Fields is a great, great classy guy. Incredible upbeat attitude. I sincerely hope for the best for him.

Again, great guy.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the doctors caught it in the early stages of coming back. Sounds like a great guy. Here's hoping he can kick cancer's ass again and come back and play football just like he did before.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Jim O said:
NFL.com wire reports

I just became a huge fan of Fields. In this age of holding out for more money and me, me, me attitudes of players and agents its refreshing to see a guy not trying to screw the team over. He could have just signed the contract (my guess is that he would have to pay it back, like Winslow since its non football related). Not to mention how hard he must have worked to get back at an All-pro level after recieving chemo, etc. I'll be rooting for him on and off the field.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan