Saints Release T Jon Stinchcomb

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that was just based on his preseason performance so far. He got taken advantage of a few times against the 9ers the other day. I'm not sure what they have behind him but if this is more because of money than declined skills, I'd love to see us snap him up.

Steve

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isnt he a pro-bowler? Dont know much about except he was like the best tackle in madden 10. Ha.

Bring him in!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
what is the saying...oh yes, I remember now...BRING HIM IN FOR A VISIT AND MAKE SURE HE DOES NOT LEAVE WITHOUT A CONTRACT

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let him recover playing behind levi for a few weeks then start him and cut levi in the offseason before his salary kicks in nah mean

Reaction score
Hi guys, Saints fan here (I lurk here from time to time :) )

Anyway, Jon Stinchcomb is probably one of the, if not them most respected members of the Saints and one of the classiest guys you would ever meet. With that said, his days are done. I dont know if he is done for good, but for the time being, he is done. He played through injuries last season and was simply horrid, he had surgery in the off season and I guess the staff hoped he would bounce back but he is a shell of his former self. He almost got Brees killed in the preseason game we just had Friday.

As much as we hated to see him go, we knew there had to be a change because he was simply a liability at right tackle. If he let Zach Strief beat him out you know its bad. It had nothing to do with money because we still took a cap hit with his release. So If I were you guys, I wouldnt touch him. But I do hope he lands on his feet.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, Saints fan here (I lurk here from time to time :) )

Anyway, Jon Stinchcomb is probably one of the, if not them most respected members of the Saints and one of the classiest guys you would ever meet. With that said, his days are done. I dont know if he is done for good, but for the time being, he is done. He played through injuries last season and was simply horrid, he had surgery in the off season and I guess the staff hoped he would bounce back but he is a shell of his former self. He almost got Brees killed in the preseason game we just had Friday.

As much as we hated to see him go, we knew there had to be a change because he was simply a liability at right tackle. If he let Zach Strief beat him out you know its bad. It had nothing to do with money because we still took a cap hit with his release. So If I were you guys, I wouldnt touch him. But I do hope he lands on his feet.

Welcome to our board, and thanks for the heads-up on Stinchcomb. What a shame, he was one that I hoped we would go after in the draft. If, indeed his career is over, it was a very good one. Badly damaged knees, and O-line kind of go hand-in-hand. Too bad. I too hope that he lands on his feet and does well. He WAS class personified. Thanks again for your very welcome input, and don't hesitate to come here again. Real football discussion is what we strive for, and by your thoughtful post, you have displayed that you are about that too. Have a good season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One problem with signing guys like Stinchcomb, is that it hurts the development of younger players on your squad. Keith had some good moments and bad moments in pass protection last year, but he is an tenacious run blocker. His last two games before his injury last year, Keith was playing very well.

So if the team signs Stinchcomb, who according to the above Saints fan is done, then Keith moves back to the bench and doesn't get the chance to develop on the field. Let's be realistic; signing guys like Stinchcomb at best is a bandaid, at worst stunts the development of future prospects.

Let some of these guys play this year and we'll identify whether they need to be replaced in the future.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
One problem with signing guys like Stinchcomb, is that it hurts the development of younger players on your squad. Keith had some good moments and bad moments in pass protection last year, but he is an tenacious run blocker. His last two games before his injury last year, Keith was playing very well.

So if the team signs Stinchcomb, who according to the above Saints fan is done, then Keith moves back to the bench and doesn't get the chance to develop on the field. Let's be realistic; signing guys like Stinchcomb at best is a bandaid, at worst stunts the development of future prospects.

Let some of these guys play this year and we'll identify whether they need to be replaced in the future.

For the most part, what you say is very true. Occasionally, however, a guy like him becomes a cap hit, and in that case we might do well to take a look.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For the most part, what you say is very true. Occasionally, however, a guy like him becomes a cap hit, and in that case we might do well to take a look.

But he adds nothing long term, IMO it's not worth it.

The good teams build with youth, and only take on front line older veterans. Stinchcomb has been a good player, but he's clearly not in that category. IMO Keith will be better than he is very soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05