San Antonio @ Phoenix - Game Thread - Sun. May 6, 2007 - 12:30 p.m. ABC

sunsfn

Reaction score
ABC Chanel 15 HD in Phoenix

Preview

You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

PG

Nash: Nash is the initiator of Phoenix' offense, from its pick-and-roll to its running game. His season averages of 19 ppg and 12 apg were both down against the Spurs, to 18 and 10, because San Antonio does a better job of any other team in the league of limiting early offense.
Also of great concern to Phoenix is Nash's 30 percent 3-point mark vs. San Antonio this season (compared to his season mark of 45.5 percent).

Parker: Parker's ability to get in the paint is uncanny and he and Manu Ginobili are the only players who can consistently match Phoenix's open-court pace when opportunities present themselves.
San Antonio is best known for its ability to control tempo and slow the game, but Parker is one of the fastest players in the league and one of its best finishers.
Parker (with a little help from his friends) did a good job on Allen Iverson in the Denver series -- can he make that kind of contribution in helping to contain Nash?

SG

Bell: Despite Kobe Bryant's 33 ppg against the Suns in the first round, Bell once again did an excellent job defensively.
His perimeter D will be one of the major differences setting Phoenix apart from Denver, San Antonio's previous playoff opponent.
San Antonio relies heavily upon Finley and Ginobili offensively -- if Bell can limit their looks, the Spurs will have to find another source of scoring.

Finley: Finley came up huge against the Nuggets from behind the arc, shooting 19-for-36, including 8-for-9 in the final game. San Antonio will need a similar effort from him against a stronger defensive unit.
Just as importantly, Finley will not get a lot of defensive help on the hyperactive Bell and must be ready to run with him in transition and chase him over screens.

SF

Jones: San Antonio excels in many areas, but one in which they particularly distinguish themselves is their ability to funnel the ball where they want it and still stay at home on shooters.
Phoenix will put this quality to the test if all of its wings are hitting, and Jones is in the starting lineup for this very reason.

Bowen: He gives the Spurs the luxury of settling into a half-court game, knowing that they don't need to devise an entire defensive game plan in order to contain the opposing team's best half-court player.
But with Phoenix's best offensive starters coming at the 1, 4 and 5, it will be interesting to see where Bowen lines up defensively.

PF

Marion: With Duncan set up in the blocks, Elson will likely float to the high post, allowing Marion a "favorable" cover.
Defensively San Antonio gave Marion fits this year, as his 52 percent field-goal mark for the year dropped to 37.5 percent against the Spurs. The Spurs will take away much of Phoenix' running game and make Marion a shooter.

Duncan: Duncan scored three points above his season average in his three games vs. Phoenix this year but his shooting percentage was down nearly nine points.
Amare Stoudemire presents problems for Duncan in that he has the strength of a wide body but also great length and quickness, which tend to bother Duncan.

C

Stoudemire: He has had success against Duncan in the past, particularly two years ago in the conference finals. With such a strong supporting cast surrounding Stoudemire, the Spurs once again figure to have their hands full.
Unlike Denver, Phoenix does not have a backup capable of matching up with Duncan defensively, so any foul trouble Stoudemire finds himself in will be costly -- San Antonio knows this and will be attacking Stoudemire whenever possible.

Elson: Elson's speed and length will figure prominently in this series. San Antonio's most athletic frontline player, he will be called upon to offensive rebound and make help-side plays in the lane defensively.
One of the more interesting initial matchup issues is to see how San Antonio defends Marion outside.
Elson's best-kept secret is his ability to knock down the J from the top of the key. With Duncan on the blocks, this is Elson's primary offensive weapon, and he often gets free looks as the team's last option.

BENCH

SUNS
Leandro Barbosa, SG: He has found another level in the playoffs. Named the sixth man of the year during the Lakers series, Barbosa is playing with more confidence and aggression than ever before.
Boris Diaw, F: He provides the Suns with the kind of mismatch opportunities that are one of the hallmarks of their offense, but if he is assigned to Horry he will be stretched out of his comfort zone defensively.
Kurt Thomas, C: With Stoudemire being Phoenix's only major presence inside, Thomas will have to play well in this series. He is better suited than many of his teammates to playing San Antonio's style. His experience, skills and intelligence settle the speed-hungry Suns in the half court and he is an excellent pick-and-roll big.

SPURS
Manu Ginobili, SG: He doesn't have the first-step quickness that made him arguably the league's best 2-guard a couple years ago, but -- like all great players -- he has added to his game elsewhere, increasing his 3-point percentage by about a point each year in the league. This year he shot just a shade under 40 percent and is looking for the spot-up 3 more than in the past, having taken over 100 more attempts this season than last. Ginobili, like Barbosa, is a reserve by need, not talent, and containing him and Parker are keys to controlling San Antonio's half-court offense.
Fabricio Oberto, PF: He has the ability to hit the midrange J or play with his back to the basket. Most importantly, he is excellent without the ball. While not a primary option, he requires constant defensive attention.
Jacque Vaughn, PG: His primary function is to defend and see to it that the offense is executed mistake-free. Against Denver he knocked down open jumpers, but any scoring the club gets from him is gravy. With Phoenix becoming smaller and faster when Barbosa enters the game, Vaughn's D on the ball and ability to get over screens will be important in this series.

BOTTOM LINE
This figures to be a fascinating series on many levels, but primarily, it will be about San Antonio controlling tempo and Phoenix executing in the half court. It is easier to negate tempo than create it, and the Spurs are the best in the league at neutralizing a running attack: in their three games this year Phoenix averaged 12 ppg below its season average.

San Antonio is coming off a series win over another of the league's elite running teams and is in a rhythm of shutting down a high-powered running attack. But the difference between the two is that Phoenix will make San Antonio work harder for shots and is a deeper, more disciplined team.

San Antonio is the best in the league at controlling tempo and making ancillary players beat you. But Phoenix has Steve Nash running the pick-and-roll and more ancillary weapons than any other team in the league as well as an interior presence to combat Duncan.
With two elite teams, we're looking for tie-breakers -- how about home-court advantage?
[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]PREDICTION: PHOENIX 4, SAN ANTONIO 3[/FONT]

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for this game to start!!!!!!!!!

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 hour + whatever extra time the Nets/Cavs game will take

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay boys! the time is now! I'll be pissed if we come out tight like we always seem to at home in really big games against the Spurs. You've got to believe from tip-off till the final horn sounds!

DB!!!!!!!

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
Go SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GO B-A-B-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOW EM WHO'S BOSS NOW!!!!

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Pace is leaning towards Spurs, need to make it fast. We started out slow FG % wise but have recovered somewhat.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This series will test my patience with Marion, the refs and the Spurs whining.

- every call 2 Spurs are surrounding a ref and argue
- Tim Duncan putting his shoulder into Amare and gets the and 1 instead of the obvious offensive foul
- Shawn Marion missing easy shots.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The third foul call on Stoudemire was appalling, but welcome to the NBA playoffs. As usual, the Spurs know exactly what they're doing, and Duncan bought that foul with a well-timed flop.

The Suns' defense was very good in the first half. If the Spurs had not shot so well from the perimeter, Phoenix would have a decent lead. Of course Marion is useless on offense, but we expected that. Overall the team looks pretty good.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a horrid, horrid call...changed the game, we're up 7,with the ball suddenly two free throws for Duncan...

If the ref saw the call, he'd know it was nothing. If he didn't, then why blow the whistle?

Such a joke.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Spurs didn't get called for a foul in the 2nd qtr until there was 3.8 seconds left in the qtr and it was an intentional foul.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Im fed up with Marion, and with his "great D", TP makes him look garbage (I not even mention his offense).

Refs are not good either, there were some huge bs calls against us - I wonder what will they do in San Antonio...

Other than that we are OK.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I very rarely complain about officials, but that was an embarassment.

Not only was it amare's 3rd, but we had the ball, and they were in the penalty and got 2 points as a result, possible 4 point swing.

Amare better get a makeup call, where he hacks duncan and doesnt get the foul.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Duncan has taken 3 more free-throw attempts than our entire team. Overall, SA has 16 attempts to ours 6. Amare taken out of the game by the refs. And we are at home. Just imagine the calls if we were in SA.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Good first half.

I'm still upset about that BS-call on Amare!

Marion was unlucky with his shots and though I like Boris' aggressiveness, he should DUNK the ball more often. Once again he blew two points that way. :(

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Im fed up with Marion, and with his "great D", TP makes him look garbage (I not even mention his offense).

Refs are not good either, there were some huge bs calls against us - I wonder what will they do in San Antonio...

Other than that we are OK.

That's EXACTLY why I wanted Bell on Parker and Marion on Ginobili, but I was told that's not a good idea. I guess Marion on Parke ain't all it was cracked up to be by some on here....

Marion's speed and lateral quickness is more suited to Ginobili. The only advantage Ginobili has is that he has some good change of direction on the dribble, but I think Marion could hang with him.

As far as Bell on Parker goes, Bell guards people right in their faces and he harrasses them through the entire clock. Seeing as Parker will have the ball for a good 12-15 seconds on each possession, Bell's D would force SA into A LOT more late shot clock situations and Parker wouldn't be a factor in the fourth due to fatigue.

I like Nash on Bowen, though.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
it seems like a lot of the times the spurs make the suns re adjust and counter their offense. the suns usually make other teams counter or readjust. its frustrating to watch because then it makes us play against the shot clock. also outside of iverson, i dont think i have ever seen a guy parkers size be able to continuessly get to the rack so easy and most times with good results. the spurs are steady as hell and we have to really play on point to come outta this series. i really think the difference is going to have to come from the activity and overall game of boris.stat is stat, nash will do the usual, shawn will come and go but boris has got to be a game changer in the post.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
There is no way we are going to win this series, the refs are going to give the spurs the win with this all series and there is no way you can beat a cheating team.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, we're gonna lose the game right now. Can anybody, anybody in the free world explain why w/ amare in foul trouble, kt isn't in for james jones.

Is it because we dont want to sacrifice all the great offense james jones gives us? There is no logical explanation whatsoever.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Now the genius D'Antoni go w/kt after the spurs have taken complete control of the game. Great, why couldn't he do that 3 mins ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05