Sapp to the Raiders

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
March 22, 2004

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- When Warren Sapp visited the Coliseum with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1998, the Oakland fans made a 6-foot Sapp effigy and beat it against a wall -- and that was just a preseason game.

The passion of the Raider Nation was fascinating to the ebullient defensive tackle, and it was one of the reasons Sapp agreed to a seven-year, $36.6 million contract with the Raiders.

``The big bad silver and black and Warren Sapp coming together -- that's got to be a match made in heaven,'' Sapp said Monday in his first visit to the Raiders' training complex in Alameda.

Though the Florida native and former University of Miami star never has played football outside of the Sunshine State, Sapp believes he can help restore the swagger in Oakland. The Raiders went 4-12 last season, one year after losing the Super Bowl to Sapp's Buccaneers.

In addition to replacing coach Bill Callahan with Norv Turner, the Raiders have been busy in free agency, signing defensive tackle Ted Washington, linebackers Danny Clark and Dwayne Rudd and offensive lineman Ron Stone. Many of the Raiders' stars also are expected to return next season: Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, Jerry Rice and Rod Woodson, among others.

``You don't get that every day,'' Sapp said. ``You don't get to play with icons of the game, with Hall of Famers. I've got a great opportunity out here, and I'm going to try to seize it.''

The seven-time Pro Bowl selection has been involved in plenty of controversy in recent years, from his crippling blind-side hit on Green Bay's Chad Clifton to an interview in which he compared the NFL's owners to slave masters.

In other words, he should fit perfectly with the Raiders and their self-cultivated outlaw image.

Sapp, a four-time All-Pro, was the 1999 defensive player of the year. He had 16 1/2 sacks in 2000 and 77 in his career -- 1 1/2 shy of the Tampa Bay franchise record held by Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon.

``Warren has been a consistent player,'' Raiders senior assistant Mike Lombardi said. ``If you really watch the tape, he hits the quarterback. Sometimes you don't have to make the tackle to have an impact on the play.''

Oakland snagged Sapp with an impressive contract offer while his agents were in negotiations with the Cincinnati Bengals. The deal was done in less than 24 hours when Sapp jumped at the chance to join Raiders owner Al Davis.

``It was real close with Cincinnati. It was just one of those deals that I didn't feel good about,'' Sapp said. ``I woke up the next morning, and Al Davis was on the line. ... I've always admired him from afar. His style speaks for himself. He's as smooth as all outdoors.''

Though the 31-year-old Sapp had just five sacks last season and 13 1/2 in his last three seasons, Turner feels he has plenty of good seasons left. The Raiders are impressed by Sapp's relatively sparse injury history.

``Anyone who doesn't understand the significance of this signing for the Raiders ... has never had to game-plan against him,'' Turner said. ``He brings great passion and enthusiasm. He knows how to play the game.''

And the Raiders haven't ruled out using Sapp on offense, as Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden did last season. Playing mostly as a blocker and a tight end, Sapp caught four passes for 39 yards and two touchdowns.

``I asked him just a minute ago. I said, 'Do you got a couple of balls for me?''' Sapp said with a grin.

The Raiders had enough salary cap room to add Sapp to their defensive line next to Washington, who left New England for a four-year, $14 million deal earlier this month. John Parrella also will return to Oakland's defensive line, which appears dramatically upgraded from a unit that finished last in run defense last season.

Earlier this month, Sapp was optimistic about re-signing with the Bucs. But Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen -- Davis' longtime senior assistant who left the Raiders in January -- never made Sapp an offer.

``It's kind of tough uprooting, but if you're going somewhere, you've got to go with the best,'' Sapp said.

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
I just don't understand it... The Raiduhs were how far OVER the cap a few weeks ago, and look at who they get... The Cards were how far UNDER the cap and they basically got Berry... Now I think they are both fairly close to each other after all is said and done capwise, but are they????? :wtf:

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
It is more of an issue of paying the guy alot of money for diminishing returns. DG wants to build with GOOD and young players and not take off of someone else's scrap heap.

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
It's not just who they signed, but the fact that the Raiduhs Defense last year was just aweful, and they go out figure a way to fix their cap, and really just bolster their defense... I think they will easily be a top ten defense this coming season, while I figure the Cards to have a bottom five...

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Sapp and the Raiders a perfect fit???? Geez I cant stand him or the raiders....... :bang: