Sarver is so full of crap!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In today's AzCentral.com/AzRepublic, Robert Sarver says a plan is in place to quickly get the Suns back on competitive level.

In her article, Paola Boivan pointed out, "... with executives Blanks and Lon Babby in roles they never held before being hired in 2010."

Babby was quoted in the article as saying, "Bottom line: There is no tried-and-true formula."

Sarver. Blanks and Babby. The three stooges.

What a bunch of crap! Owner-spin. Incompetent owner-spin.

As a Suns fan since the days of the Madhouse on McDowell, I am not going to frustrate myself by quoting any more of his stupidity. But here is the article. You can read it for yourself.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...ner-robert-sarver-plan-competitive-level.html

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
"Our goal is to transition back to elite status," Sarver said, "and to get there sooner than later."

Step one: Get new owner.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
"Our goal is to transition back to elite status," Sarver said, "and to get there sooner than later."

Step one: Get new owner.
My thoughts exactly. My cousin, who works for the Suns, says time after time that Sarver is a complete prick, and he is the main reason why the season ticket holders have completely jumped ship. The Suns are one of the oldest teams in the league, and their only good young player is Gortat -- who would never be the best player on a championship caliber team. This team is regressing, and from what I've heard, Sarver has no idea how to fix the problem.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, even if the Suns plan to rebuild the team is valid, they do not have the leadership to implement it. Again, the Suns need a basketball smart GM (or someone) to lead them out of the wilderness. Who pulled the trigger on the Dragic trade, signed Telfair, Price and Brown? All the plans in the world are worthless without proper leadership. I do not see it, which is the most depressing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. My cousin, who works for the Suns, says time after time that Sarver is a complete prick, and he is the main reason why the season ticket holders have completely jumped ship. The Suns are one of the oldest teams in the league, and their only good young player is Gortat -- who would never be the best player on a championship caliber team. This team is regressing, and from what I've heard, Sarver has no idea how to fix the problem.

Is your cousin in a position to actually know what Sarver is planning? If not, his opinion really doesn't carry much weight. I'm not trying to belittle you or your cousin in any way but I've heard similar comments throughout my career from people that were too far removed from the decision making process to really have any clue what was actually going on. If you look at where we are now and the obvious mistakes of the past few years it's easy to come to the conclusion that "Sarver has no idea how to fix the problem" but I'm not sure your cousin brings any real insight to this situation.

As for Gortat, I really like the guy and I think some people here underrate the things he brings to the court but you're right about him. The only way you win with Gortat as your best player is if your 9th best player is 99.9% as good as him. Normally I'd say he needs to be the 3rd best player on a typical contender. Obviously, this depends on how good your best player is. Put a Magic Johnson or a Larry Bird or a Michael Jordan out there and Gortat could afford to be your 2nd best. But make him your number 2 guy next to a Rudy Gay or a Danny Granger or an aging Steve Nash and it's probably not going to be enough.

Steve

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The plan:

Rebuild over a short period of time rather than a long period of time. Brilliant!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan:

Rebuild over a short period of time rather than a long period of time. Brilliant!

It's easy. You just plan on the best player in the draft falling to the 7th spot. Then, you plan on the 3 mediocre free agents you bring in to all have career years. Then, you plan on two old guys to stay injury free and continue to beat the aging odds. And, at last, you plan on the stars for all the other contending teams to come down with a nasty case of the 9 month flu. Planning is everything.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the hilarious part. Sarver an this pathetic front office are not doing anything that other franchises are trying to do as well.

• The Suns are not the only franchise putting money into college scouting.
  • The Suns are not the only franchise putting money into NBA scouting.
  • The Suns are not the only franchise that thinks they have the FO to get it done.
  • The Suns are not the only franchise trying to rebuild in a short period of time.
  • The Suns are not the only franchise trying to get a high impact player in FA.
Saying the above doesn't mean you have a plan. It's at a high level statement saying what you have done so far (which has not worked) and part wish list.

A plan would be how you plan on getting this all done. I don't think they have a clue.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What Sarver and the FO need is.... the BALLS to make the decision to TANK it fully and take calculated risks of getting a new franchise player and core.

The current Nash and Gortat core is a ticket to mediocrity.
Gortat being the Suns 1st or 2nd best player is a HUGE indication the Suns need to rebuild FULLY.

I'm not saying trade Gortat, he is wonderful and on a cheap contract. I actually think he is a corner stone.... assuming the Suns have their 1st and 2nd option Stars signed up....
Before I get crucified for mentioning Gortat trade, I wouldnt trade him unless it brings back a Can't Miss Draftee or a 1st/2nd option type player to the Suns... so rest assured.

The FO needs to grow the BALLS to simply cut their losses before it stagnates into 2014 and beyond...

Call the shots... STINK it up this year, get a high pick, try to steal away some young stars from other teams next season... if not... STINK it up another year.... by then Suns will have 2 really High Picks and CASH space to attract Star trades and or attract Free agents to play with a NICE, YOUNG core and earn max money... and be working their way up to contending once again by 2014 season....

The way things are going with the Suns still dragging their struggling butts to make 8th spot will just lead to the Suns still being crap by 2014.....

I want to see a championship trophy hoist by the Suns team this decade!!!!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that gets me is that this season was tailor made to tank... A shortened season with a deep draft class.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's easy. You just plan on the best player in the draft falling to the 7th spot. Then, you plan on the 3 mediocre free agents you bring in to all have career years. Then, you plan on two old guys to stay injury free and continue to beat the aging odds. And, at last, you plan on the stars for all the other contending teams to come down with a nasty case of the 9 month flu. Planning is everything.

Steve

Wait ... do you actually work in the front office? Because this actually sounds like the plan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait ... do you actually work in the front office? Because this actually sounds like the plan.

yup. we're going to doom ourselves to 47 wins for the foreseeable future. yay!!!!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see what Babby is trying to do and it's commendable. He is trying to rebuild the franchise's image as a premiere destination and one that takes care of its players. I imagine that Babby had some role in convincing Sarver to diappear behind the scenes. He seems to believe that putting Nash on such a pedestal will gain respect around the league. He has also gone on record stating they are trying to go above and beyond with everything regarding player comfort and health, word that circulates fast amongst players. He's a former agent so he knows what players are looking for. As much as this team and season frustrates me, I'm willing to give Babby the chance to turn this around over the next two years.

I just hope we don't come out of this offseason like the Pistons a few years back with players like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva inked to long term deals

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see what Babby is trying to do and it's commendable. He is trying to rebuild the franchise's image as a premiere destination and one that takes care of its players. I imagine that Babby had some role in convincing Sarver to diappear behind the scenes. He seems to believe that putting Nash on such a pedestal will gain respect around the league. He has also gone on record stating they are trying to go above and beyond with everything regarding player comfort and health, word that circulates fast amongst players. He's a former agent so he knows what players are looking for. As much as this team and season frustrates me, I'm willing to give Babby the chance to turn this around over the next two years.

I just hope we don't come out of this offseason like the Pistons a few years back with players like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva inked to long term deals

I am too. I'm sure that my willingness to give him a chance is due in no small part to the fact that we simply don't have a choice. Still, other than keeping Nash, I can't really rail on any of the decisions this current management group has made. I didn't like the Brooks deal because I didn't think a playoff run was worth the effort but I thought the deal itself was reasonable. Of course, now, I'd much rather have Dragic and the pick.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man, Al Davis passed away for the Oakland Raiders of the NFL and now everything is looking up for the Raiders.

What if something happened to Robert Sarver and the NBA buys the team and sells it to an owner who NOT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY?

Ah I can dream...

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Man, Al Davis passed away for the Oakland Raiders of the NFL and now everything is looking up for the Raiders.

What if something happened to Robert Sarver and the NBA buys the team and sells it to an owner who NOT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY?

Ah I can dream...
On a less extreme note, how about if Sarver finds someone to turn the running of the team to, as did Bill Bidwill? I am glad one son worked out well in Phoenix. Yes, Bryan, I am talking about you. :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
yup. we're going to doom ourselves to 47 wins for the foreseeable future. yay!!!!

It just makes me sick. Nothing worse than being completely irrelevant with no flexibility out of it.

Nash and Grant Hill just need to go away. It's pathetic watching them go out there in front of a 50% full arena on a team going nowhere and going through the motions. What a waste or time for everyone involved. Grow some balls and go to a team that actually cares about winning.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I just hope we don't come out of this off season like the Pistons a few years back with players like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva inked to long term deals
Players are looking to go to big market teams or teams where they can pair up with fellow star players. I'm not an agent but that's pretty obvious to me.

And the way the Suns can try and get those star players is by trading Nash to get draft picks and hope to get lucky. Hell even just by trading Nash, we ensure ourselves that we will be getting a top 5 pick and maybe draft a game changer like Gilchrist or Barnes.

And Suns already had their off season where they overpaid for players. Remember the summer of 2010? We overpaid and got guys like Josh Childress, Hakim Warrick and overpaid to resign Frye.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah I can dream...

Off topic but ???? How is "everything looking up for the Raiders"? And we're getting a good look in New Orleans at a team that the NBA has to take over and it's not looking so hot just yet. But, yes, I think we'd all like to see the Suns sold to a Mark Cuban, especially if you could find a Mark Cuban that rarely speaks.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It just makes me sick. Nothing worse than being completely irrelevant with no flexibility out of it.

Nash and Grant Hill just need to go away. It's pathetic watching them go out there in front of a 50% full arena on a team going nowhere and going through the motions. What a waste or time for everyone involved. Grow some balls and go to a team that actually cares about winning.
:thumbup:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ah so we are going to be the next Golden State Warriors then.

18 years rebuild because they always tried too hard to get back in the playoffs too fast instead of being patient so they had not had more than one top 4 pick since 1995 despite making the playoffs just once all those years.

The highest in that time were #3 Dunleavy, #5 Jason Richardson and #5 Vince Carter traded for Antawn Jamison.

Doesn't help they did the worst job drafting in the entire league. Seems like where the Suns are heading unless they draft so high that they are not left with choices.

Who is making that research for the Suns? 4th graders? Many of the teams that took so long to rebuild took that long simply BECAUSE they did not blow it up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pathetic watching them go out there in front of a 50% full arena on a team going nowhere and going through the motions. What a waste or time for everyone involved. Grow some balls and go to a team that actually cares about winning.

I agree with part of this in that it pains me to see guys like Nash and Grant spinning their wheels on this team at the end of their careers. I hate it.

However, I have been watching the games and I don't see Nash or Hill going through the motions. They are still playing their butts off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake