Sarver is so full of crap!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with part of this in that it pains me to see guys like Nash and Grant spinning their wheels on this team at the end of their careers. I hate it.

However, I have been watching the games and I don't see Nash or Hill going through the motions. They are still playing their butts off.

I agree. Nash and Hill are both playing hard every night. Hopefully, it will pay off for us when we trade these guys at the break. My fingers keep typing that message in hopes that my brain will start believing it.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They are still playing their butts off.

True, going through the motions was a poor choice of words, I meant doing what they always do, which is playing their asses off.

The sad part is they seem to be the only ones who don't realize what a joke this situation is, either that or they're completely delusional. It's like two people in a train wreck relationship that try to make it work. It's admirable that they want to make it work, but it's obvious to everyone else that it doesn't make any sense to continue the farce.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sad part is they seem to be the only ones who don't realize what a joke this situation is, either that or they're completely delusional. It's like two people in a train wreck relationship that try to make it work. It's admirable that they want to make it work, but it's obvious to everyone else that it doesn't make any sense to continue the farce.

Gotcha. I agree Chris. Admirable, loyal and probably some pride involved but sooner or later you have to know when enough is enough.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver prides himself in following the San Antonio Spurs' model for success.

OK, then, follow it now. Take a look at how the Spurs got David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Because without those two, the Spurs would only a small blip on the NBA radar for the last 15 years.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Saying the Suns will improve quickly by making good trades, picking up quality free agents and drafting well is easy to say, but harder to do. I imagine that describes 30 teams' strategies.

However, the chances of doing that with the same staff that picked up Telfair, Childress, Banks, and Brown as free agents, traded for Turkoglu and drafted Earl Clark, Zarkio Cararkapa, but gave away Rondo, Nate Robinson, and Luol Deng . . . . It doesn't look like the talent is on board to draft, sign, and trade well.

As much as it pains me to say so, it looks like we may be pretty bad for a long time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saying the Suns will improve quickly by making good trades, picking up quality free agents and drafting well is easy to say, but harder to do. I imagine that describes 30 teams' strategies.

However, the chances of doing that with the same staff that picked up Telfair, Childress, Banks, and Brown as free agents, traded for Turkoglu and drafted Earl Clark, Zarkio Cararkapa, but gave away Rondo, Nate Robinson, and Luol Deng . . . . It doesn't look like the talent is on board to draft, sign, and trade well.

As much as it pains me to say so, it looks like we may be pretty bad for a long time.

To be fair, this isn't the same staff. Its the same owner, but a different staff. It just might be that this staff is forcing the owner into a more minor role and letting them run the team.

Babby has not made any big splashes one way or another with this team. He came on after the Turk trade. He did the Gortat trade and drafted Morris. That's not bad.

My beef is the nonsensical unwillingness to trade Nash for any kind of rebuilding assets and the desire to win (be mediocre) now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope we don't comeout of this offseason like the Pistons a few years back with players like Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva inked to long term deals

this is exactly what I expect to happen.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Sarver gets desperate and Arte Moreno steps in. Moreno is the man who SHOULD have bought the Suns from Colangelo's group.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm hoping Sarver gets desperate and Arte Moreno steps in. Moreno is the man who SHOULD have bought the Suns from Colangelo's group.

For some reason, every time I hear that name, I think of a cross of Arte Johnson and Rita Moreno.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Were there ever rumblings of Moreno buying the team? I recall he had interest in taking over the Dbacks before he got the Angels. Would've been interesting if he ended up with the Suns and Snakes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verrrrry interesting!:)

I was 13 when that show came out and I absolutely loved it. Finally, a variety show that was aimed closer to my generation. I also developed a life-long crush for Goldie as a result.

Steve

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was 13 when that show came out and I absolutely loved it. Finally, a variety show that was aimed closer to my generation. I also developed a life-long crush for Goldie as a result.
Agreed. I had a crush on Teresa Graves, too. She was gorgeous.

But, I must admit, my favorite was the Smothersl Brothers Comedy Hour. Pat Paulsen running for President. The hippie Leigh French. Sally-Struthers-and-the-Smothers-Brothers.

Yup, I preferred Tom & Dick to Dan & Dick. I guess Mom always liked them best. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I had a crush on Teresa Graves, too. She was gorgeous.

But, I must admit, my favorite was the Smothersl Brothers Comedy Hour. Pat Paulsen running for President. The hippie Leigh French. Sally-Struthers-and-the-Smothers-Brothers.

Yup, I preferred Tom & Dick to Dan & Dick. I guess Mom always liked them best. :)

Agreed. I liked both shows but The Smothers Brothers were aimed even more at the younger generation. They had great musical guests at a time when most of us didn't have the opportunity to see the musical stars of the day. Also, they had great writers involved in addition to Dick and Tom. Rob Reiner, Jim Stafford (My Girl Bill), Steve Martin and many others contributed to its success.

Steve

SunsFan89

Reaction score
Sarver can talk the talk but can he walk the walk.

We will soon find out.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your cousin in a position to actually know what Sarver is planning? If not, his opinion really doesn't carry much weight. I'm not trying to belittle you or your cousin in any way but I've heard similar comments throughout my career from people that were too far removed from the decision making process to really have any clue what was actually going on. If you look at where we are now and the obvious mistakes of the past few years it's easy to come to the conclusion that "Sarver has no idea how to fix the problem" but I'm not sure your cousin brings any real insight to this situation.

I agree with you but it does confirm to me that Sarver is a prick which doesn't bode well.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Off topic but ???? How is "everything looking up for the Raiders"? And we're getting a good look in New Orleans at a team that the NBA has to take over and it's not looking so hot just yet. But, yes, I think we'd all like to see the Suns sold to a Mark Cuban, especially if you could find a Mark Cuban that rarely speaks.

Steve
New Orleans has a brighter future than PHX. Two lottery 1st rd picks in an extremely talented '12 draft, the rights to Eric Gordon, and a good young developing center in Gustavo Ayon.

And everything is looking up for the Raiders because after sucking for so long they almost made the playoffs last season but McFadden's injury kept them out of it. They hired a GM who comes from a very successful franchise in the Packers and he won't make mistakes like the Raiders did in the past where they traded a boat load of assets to get Carson Palmer. Their new HC led one of the most scariest defenses in the NFL last season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Orleans has a brighter future than PHX. Two lottery 1st rd picks in an extremely talented '12 draft, the rights to Eric Gordon, and a good young developing center in Gustavo Ayon.

And everything is looking up for the Raiders because after sucking for so long they almost made the playoffs last season but McFadden's injury kept them out of it. They hired a GM who comes from a very successful franchise in the Packers and he won't make mistakes like the Raiders did in the past where they traded a boat load of assets to get Carson Palmer. Their new HC led one of the most scariest defenses in the NFL last season.

I agree that New Orleans (on paper) has a brighter future than we do but ownership is up for grabs and the city has a history of not supporting it's NBA teams.

As for the Raiders, are they or are they not being controlled by Al's idiot son? Maybe things will look up for them but you made it sound like they had already turned the corner. You're hanging your hat on things you think they will do in the future rather than anything they've actually done so far. AFAIC, all they've done is fire a Head Coach who seemed to be doing a pretty good job and would have likely had them in the playoffs had it not been for injury.

Steve

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
We need character guys in our front office. We need to copy what the Dbacks are doing.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Robert Sarver can not build a "Championship Contender". He has an awful track record. The guy is willing to spend money on his players and before I get on my soap box and bash robert sarver, allow me to give credit where credit is due. He has made solid role player additions finding relatively unknowns or "washed up players" like Luis Amundson, Tim Thomas, and Jimmy Jackson. He made a great trade in sending Diaw and Raja to Charlotte for J-Rich and Dudley. Those were all great moves but even a blind squirell finds a nut every once in a while. Now allow me to show you his MANY MANY MANY MANY........ terrible decisions. Below are the largest Free agent signing/resignings under his watch

Quentin Richardson 6yrs 48mil
Boris Diaw 5yrs 45mil
Josh Childress 5yrs 34mil (also cost a 2012 draft pick)
Leandro Barbosa 5yrs 34mil
Channing Frye 5yrs 30 mil
Marcus Banks 5yrs 21mil
Hakim Warrick 4yrs 18mil

for the most part all of these players are buried on the bench, have never made an all star team, have never been a SNUB for the all-star team and has amounted to a ton of threes and mediocre play. meanwhile we let guys go like

Joe Johnson
Amare Stoudemire
Luol Deng
Rajon Rondo

A total of 15 all star appearances

For extra measure..... Terry Porter was under his watch as well. I'm not done... lets look at his drafts over the years...

2004- Luol Deng * Traded to Chicago for rights to Jackson Vroman, cash and a future first round pick.

2005- Nate Robinson * Traded to New York with Quentin Richardson and future considerations for Kurt Thomas and the draft rights to Dijon Thompson
Marcin Gortat* traded to Orlando for cash considerations

2006 Rajon Rondo *traded along with forward Brian Grant and cash considerations in exchange for a future first-rounder.
Sergio Rodriguez * traded to Portland with cash along with james jones

2007-Rudy Fernandez *Traded to Portland for cash considerations
also traded Kurt Thomas and two first-round picks to the Seattle Supersonics for a 2nd round pick
Alando Tucker
Daryl Strawberry

2008 Robin Lopez (used as compensation from the Atlanta Hawks for the Joe Johnson sign and trade in 2005)
Malik Hairston (San Antonio acquired the draft rights to Malik Hairston, a second-round draft pick in 2009, and cash considerations from Phoenix in exchange for the draft rights to 45th pick Goran Dragić)

2009 Earl Clark
Taylor Griffin
Emir Preldžič
(Cleveland acquired the draft rights to Emir Preldžič from Phoenix in exchange for cash considerations)

2010 Gani Lawal (obtained in midseason trade Phoenix acquired Jason Richardson, Jared Dudley and a second-round pick from Charlotte in exchange for Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Sean Singletary)
Dwayne Collins (Phoenix acquired Ben Wallace, Aleksandar Pavlović, a second-round pick and cash considerations from Cleveland in exchange for Shaquille O'Neal.)

2011 Markieff Morris

If you can back up sarver and prove this history wrong, as a life long suns fan, I would love to be the one wrong here. I understand many GM's make plenty of deals that are always hit or miss. possibly the best gm's make great deals 60% of the time or its close to a 50/50 sarvers moves are extremely lopsided in a very bad direction

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake