Say Kolb or Skelton holds the starting job all year..

Title

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
is the other guy on the roster next year?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the other guy on the roster next year?

Poll is flawed. If Kolb holds it all year then Skelton is a YES he stays. He knows the system and is VERY cheap.

If Skelton holds it all year then Kolb is gone. Too expensive.

Its not a simple yes or no.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Poll is flawed. If Kolb holds it all year then Skelton is a YES he stays. He knows the system and is VERY cheap.

:thumbup::thumbup:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Totally disagree.

-(I do agree itd be great to keep him).

Teams in need of a QB will be out and looking, Skelton will be a backup who has starter, and winning, experience. You think we hold onto Skelton with teams offering a 2nd rounder for him? Also, If Kolb does prove he can keep the starting job, they may want to remove all conflict and competition by getting Skelton off the roster.

Its basically what happened with the Eagles. They couldve kept Kolb for the cheap to backup Vick, but they chose to ship him to us because we were looking to buy.

hows it any different?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Totally disagree.

Teams in need of a QB will be out and looking, Skelton will be a backup who has starter, and winning, experience. You think we hold onto Skelton with teams offering a 2nd rounder for him? Also, If Kolb does prove he can keep the starting job, they may want to remove all conflict and competition by getting Skelton off the roster.

Its basically what happened with the Eagles. They couldve kept Kolb for the cheap to backup Vick, but they chose to ship him to us because we were looking to buy.

hows it any different?

Because Skelton's performances last year were nowhere near as impressive as Kolb's with the Eagles?

Just because a QB has won a few games does not make him a 2nd round commodity in the league. The players that have shown significant potential in backup time can be moved for that. Skelton would certainly have a very solid value to us as a backup if Kolb played all year, but wouldn't be sought after by other teams.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree.

hows it any different?
That's strictly your opinion not a fact. I told you what I think and a couple others agree. There is no option for that choice in your poll. It's flawed.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm voting "no" because I think Lindley is going to be impressive enough that they will trade or cut Kolb/Skelton loser, no matter what the outcome is.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Totally disagree.

hows it any different?

It is not complete different, nor is it completely the same.

But you need someone interested to get a 2nd round pick, and unless Double Deuce plays well enough to start, I don't think we will be offered anything close to a 2nd round pick for him.

Also, Kolb is nothing sure with his head, so it makes Skelton even more valuable to the Cardinals.

Michael Vick had his best year as a pro the offseason before Kolb got traded, there was talk about Vick being MVP that year. That made Kolb more available for a trade, and less valuable to the Eagles.

Kolb is FAR from being a MVP type player, and again, if Skelton plays good enough to get a 2nd round pick, then he will probably be starting for the Cardinals.

JMHO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally disagree.

hows it any different?

Skelton will be due to make... what 700k next year? Kolb was owed 10 million from the Ealges. Its a totally different situation.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I think it doesn't matter, I don't think a QB is as important as every body does. Very important, but the talent level is not as huge a difference from best to 31st as everybody makes out, Eli is losing on most teams IMO. even if he makes them better he aint taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.

But Cassell can go 11-5 with the Patriots! Whats his face can break all of Green Bays single game records stepping in for
Rodgers.

just something to think about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's strictly your opinion not a fact. I told you what I think and a couple others agree. There is no option for that choice in your poll. It's flawed.

Duh its an opinion. This is an opinion based forum, Lindburgh. And the poll isnt flawed and ive said why.

Because Skelton's performances last year were nowhere near as impressive as Kolb's with the Eagles?

?

kolb started 2 games as an Eagle. Played in 12 total. He had 11 TDs, 14 picks. I dont think "impressive" is the word. He had 1 good, 300 yard game.

Just because a QB has won a few games does not make him a 2nd round commodity in the league.

"Hello, Coach Reid? So you said thatll be a 2nd rounder and DRC? I dunno...well you drive a hard bargain, but OK!"

soooooo

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Doesn't change the fact that the poll should have more than 2 options.
I agree with Shane, Skelton stays if Kolb starts all year, Kolb goes if Skelton starts all year.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duh its an opinion. This is an opinion based forum, Lindburgh. And the poll isnt flawed and ive said why.

?

kolb started 2 games as an Eagle. Played in 12 total. He had 11 TDs, 14 picks. I dont think "impressive" is the word. He had 1 good, 300 yard game.

"Hello, Coach Reid? So you said thatll be a 2nd rounder and DRC? I dunno...well you drive a hard bargain, but OK!"

soooooo

Doesn't change the fact that the poll should have more than 2 options.
I agree with Shane, Skelton stays if Kolb starts all year, Kolb goes if Skelton starts all year.

Now your just being hard headed. the poll is flawed and to try and argue otherwise is just downright silly.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think it doesn't matter, I don't think a QB is as important as every body does. Very important, but the talent level is not as huge a difference from best to 31st as everybody makes out, Eli is losing on most teams IMO. even if he makes them better he aint taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.

But Cassell can go 11-5 with the Patriots! Whats his face can break all of Green Bays single game records stepping in for
Rodgers.

just something to think about.

Whatever!!! I'm sure that Kurt Warner wasn't very important in the Cards making their 1st & only Super Bowl. Drew Brees deserve little credit also...on & on & on.

Welcome to fantasy island...Tattoo!!! Da plane, da plane :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

hows it any different?

Kolb had like an $8 million salary for 2011.

To your first paragraph, what teams might you be talking about? Here's the NFL quarterback situation as it stands:

AFC:
Buffalo - Just gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a Kolb-sized deal
NY Jets - Just committed to Sanchez for the next two years, have Tebow
Miami - Just drafted Tannehill
New England - Brady, and the Arkansas kid behind him
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger
Cleveland - Just drafted Wheeden
Cincinnati - Just drafted the Red Rifle
Baltimore - Flacco will be franchised
Indy - Just drafted Andrew Luck
Houston - Schaub's in a contract year
Jacksonville - Just drafted Gabbert
Tennessee - Just drafted Locker
San Diego - Phillip Rivers
Oakland - Carson Palmer's Cap charge is $16 million+ in 2013
Denver - Peyton Manning and just drafted Brock Osweiler
Kansas City - Cassel's under contract for two more years

NFC -
NY Giants - Eli
Philly - Vick
Dallas - Romo & Orton
Washington - RG3
Green Bay - Rodgers
Chicago - Cutler
Detroit - Stafford
Minnesota - Ponder
New Orleans - Brees just got a huge commitment
Carolina - Cam Newton
Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman
Atlanta - Matt Flynn
Seattle - Just signed & drafted 2 QBs
St. Louis - Bradford
San Francisco - Alex Smith and Kilpatrick

There's been a huge generational change at the QB position in the NFL, and there isn't going to be much of a market for veteran QBs outside of Arizona and MAYBE the bolded above. At most there will be four other teams looking for veteran help and willing to give up more than money to get it.

New York gave up--what?--a seventh-round pick to get Tebow? Is John Skelton worth more to an NFL team than Tebow is?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks K9 for reminding us we have one of the 3 worst QB situations in the NFL.

:sad:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thanks K9 for reminding us we have one of the 3 worst QB situations in the NFL.

:sad:

That's why I'm here. Enjoy your time in training camp. :sad:

Honestly, I don't think it's one of the 3 worst. I think that it's objectively among the 5 worst. If we're talking about right now, I'd add Jacksonville, Miami, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, and San Francisco to the mix with us.

We just have one of the three least promising QB situations in the NFL. If Kolb doesn't make a quantum leap to start the season (to Tavaris Jackson-level), and then a second one (to Joe Flacco-level) later on, then we're not going to be very good this year, and we'll suddenly have one of the more promising QB situations in the NFL next year, when we draft Tyler Wilson.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's why I'm here. Enjoy your time in training camp. :sad:

Honestly, I don't think it's one of the 3 worst. I think that it's objectively among the 5 worst. If we're talking about right now, I'd add Jacksonville, Miami, New York, Seattle, St. Louis, and San Francisco to the mix with us.

We just have one of the three least promising QB situations in the NFL. If Kolb doesn't make a quantum leap to start the season (to Tavaris Jackson-level), and then a second one (to Joe Flacco-level) later on, then we're not going to be very good this year, and we'll suddenly have one of the more promising QB situations in the NFL next year, when we draft Tyler Wilson.

I assume then you don't think much of Gabbert, Tannehill, Sanchez,Flynn, Bradford and Alex Smith. But didn't you think Smith would be better for the Cards than Kolb? Darn now I think we have the worst QB situation in the NFL.

:mad:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I assume then you don't think much of Gabbert, Tannehill, Sanchez,Flynn, Bradford and Alex Smith. But didn't you think Smith would be better for the Cards than Kolb? Darn now I think we have the worst QB situation in the NFL.

:mad:

I don't think much of Gabbert at all. I like Mark Sanchez, but he needs to get better--he's a rich man's John Skelton. I don't care much for Flynn, and even less about the kid that they drafted. Flynn is the correctly-valued Kolb; if he turns to play like Matt Cassel, I think that Seattle could win the division. I think that Sam Bradford is either following Matt Stafford's career trajectory, or Kyle Boller's. I like Alex Smith, and I thought the Cards would've been very smart to get him instead of Kolb. I know that CBus disagrees with me on this, but I think he could've been productive here even without the hands-shackled offense he was playing in San Francisco.

I think our QB situation is on par with the Jets. Worse than Seattle's and San Francisco's but better than Jacksonville's and Miami's.

I don't know what to make of St. Louis and Bradford. Who in the world is he going to throw to?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think much of Gabbert at all. I like Mark Sanchez, but he needs to get better--he's a rich man's John Skelton. I don't care much for Flynn, and even less about the kid that they drafted. Flynn is the correctly-valued Kolb; if he turns to play like Matt Cassel, I think that Seattle could win the division. I think that Sam Bradford is either following Matt Stafford's career trajectory, or Kyle Boller's. I like Alex Smith, and I thought the Cards would've been very smart to get him instead of Kolb. I know that CBus disagrees with me on this, but I think he could've been productive here even without the hands-shackled offense he was playing in San Francisco.

QUOTE]

In general or last year on Smith? I think the hand shackling is what made him look good.

if you recall one of the writers did a very in depth review of Smith in the SF playoff loss that basically said they lost because of him. That after that incredible finish he had against NO, Smith completely folded up against the Giants missing throws, not seeing open players, and at least twice seeing but not throwing the ball downfield when there was a chance for a big play.

I posted the article at the time I think it was one of the NFL films guys he said Smith on 2 plays either pumped and pulled it down or looked and then checked down when he had chances to make huge plays.

I don't think the offense held him back I think it kept him from being the guy he was most of his NFL career.

We'll likely never know but I think Smith in our offense throwing the ball as much as we do would be a nightmare.

He's gotten better without a doubt and they've been insistent he's fixed his mechanical flaws this offseason so it'll be interesting to watch.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I think our QB situation is on par with the Jets. Worse than Seattle's and San Francisco's but better than Jacksonville's and Miami's.

I don't know what to make of St. Louis and Bradford. Who in the world is he going to throw to?

Wow! I never realized Sanchez completion % was on a par with our two because I'd never really looked at his stats before. The Jets went to two consecutive Conference Championship games with him at QB? Maybe there is hope for us after all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/01/24/cosell-talks-for-alex-smith-what-a-difference-a-week-made/

I knew I remembered it.

"Let’s start with the first 3rd down of the game. It was 3rd and 4; the 49ers had already gotten 1 first down. Michael Crabtree ran a sail route (kind of a flattened corner route). He was wide open. Smith, with no pressure in the pocket, did not pull the trigger. It was a throw that had to be made. The result of the play was an incompletion on a late check down to Frank Gore.

The first play of the 49ers fourth offensive possession was also telling. It was a shot play, a called big play off Smith boot action. Williams ran a deep post off a stutter move. The double move froze Corey Webster, and Williams raced by him. The design of the play worked. Smith overthrew Williams by 5 yards. A good throw, and it was a touchdown. An adequate throw, and it was still a 50 yard gain. This was another missed opportunity.

But the first play of the second half was perhaps the most indicative of Smith’s performance. You come out of halftime with a specific plan. The 49ers went to one of their staples, the wheel route. A shot play right out of the gate. Delanie Walker, from his line of scrimmage tight end position, ran by a slipping Webster. The concept worked to perfection. Walker screamed down the sideline. Smith again did not pull the trigger from a clean pocket. He ended up getting sacked for a 7 yard loss.

These are just a few examples of Smith’s tentative and uncertain pocket play last Sunday. The bottom line was this: Smith was reluctant to let it loose on routes and throws that were not only well designed, but were open. They were primary reads. No progressions were involved."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In general or last year on Smith? I think the hand shackling is what made him look good.

if you recall one of the writers did a very in depth review of Smith in the SF playoff loss that basically said they lost because of him. That after that incredible finish he had against NO, Smith completely folded up against the Giants missing throws, not seeing open players, and at least twice seeing but not throwing the ball downfield when there was a chance for a big play.

I posted the article at the time I think it was one of the NFL films guys he said Smith on 2 plays either pumped and pulled it down or looked and then checked down when he had chances to make huge plays.

I don't think the offense held him back I think it kept him from being the guy he was most of his NFL career.

We'll likely never know but I think Smith in our offense throwing the ball as much as we do would be a nightmare.

He's gotten better without a doubt and they've been insistent he's fixed his mechanical flaws this offseason so it'll be interesting to watch.

I don't think that Smith would've been good for us as he was in the shackled offense last year, but I think he would've been better than Skelton or Kolb. I think that in a freer offense Smith is a league-average quarterback, but his mobility and arm strength are more proven than Kolb's, and he doesn't have the concussion baggage that Kolb carries (and did when we drafted him). I think that Smith is a heady player.

I think that Greg Cosell is a really interesting writer with some interesting ideas. Do I believe that Alex Smith is a Top 10 quarterback? No. I think that he's better than what we have, and would've cost half has much money and no trade compensation over Kolb.

I don't think that Alex Smith will justify his draft selection, but I think he could've given us what we expected to get from Derek Anderson or Kevin Kolb.

We'd be drafting Tyler Wilson, anyway.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Come on K9, you know very well that finishing with a horrible record can alter a teams QB plans.

If any of these teams finish with one of the worst 10 records in the league then I absolutely think they'd jump at a top QB prospect:

Arizona
Buffalo
Kansas City
Dallas
Chicago
Oakland
Houston
New York Jets

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members