Say Kolb or Skelton holds the starting job all year..

Title

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Come on K9, you know very well that finishing with a horrible record can alter a teams QB plans.

If any of these teams finish with one of the worst 10 records in the league then I absolutely think they'd jump at a top QB prospect:

Arizona
Buffalo
Kansas City
Dallas
Chicago
Oakland
Houston
New York Jets

Not when they've made a huge financial committment to those guys. That's why Kolb was largely safe last offseason, and why Fitzpatrick and Sanchez are going to be largely safe next offseason: they both just got big deals.

So, cross Buffalo and the Jets off your list. I guess if you assume that Houston's going to go from an 8-8 team for the long term to a 5-11 team the year after they won the AFC South, you're on to something. But are they going to lose 10 games facing off against Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and rookie Andrew Luck for six of their sixteen games?

So, cross Houston off your list. Jay Cutler has two years left on his current deal with the Bears, and has been productive considering the quality of talent he's been delivering he ball to. He only counts for $10+ million on their salary cap in 2013, and he's much more likely to be extended than released. Ask yourself, if the Cards called Chicago--even coming off a 6-10 season--and asked if they'd consider trading Cutler for Skelton straight-up, do you think they laugh before hanging up the phone?

So, cross Chicago off your list. Tony Romo is under contract through 2013 and has $14 million in bonuses in 2012 and 2013. I guess it's possible that he could be released, but would Dallas really consider Romo-to-Skelton an upgrade? Wouldn't they rather just draft a guy in the first round?

So, cross Dallas off your list.

Who does that leave us with? Kansas City, Oakland, and us.

Although, it's pretty hilarious to me that you think that either Skelton or Kolb would be considered a "top QB prospect" even after a productive 2013.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess if you assume that Houston's going to go from an 8-8 team for the long term to a 5-11 team the year after they won the AFC South, you're on to something. But are they going to lose 10 games facing off against Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and rookie Andrew Luck for six of their sixteen games?

Playing in the weakest Division in the AFC and having two of their 3 toughest games at home and a stellar defense, the Texans are far more likely to win 11 games than lose 10. So unless Schaub suffers a serious injury I doubt he's leaving any time soon. And after last year how sold are they on Yates?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not when they've made a huge financial committment to those guys. That's why Kolb was largely safe last offseason, and why Fitzpatrick and Sanchez are going to be largely safe next offseason: they both just got big deals.

So, cross Buffalo and the Jets off your list. I guess if you assume that Houston's going to go from an 8-8 team for the long term to a 5-11 team the year after they won the AFC South, you're on to something. But are they going to lose 10 games facing off against Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and rookie Andrew Luck for six of their sixteen games?

So, cross Houston off your list. Jay Cutler has two years left on his current deal with the Bears, and has been productive considering the quality of talent he's been delivering he ball to. He only counts for $10+ million on their salary cap in 2013, and he's much more likely to be extended than released. Ask yourself, if the Cards called Chicago--even coming off a 6-10 season--and asked if they'd consider trading Cutler for Skelton straight-up, do you think they laugh before hanging up the phone?

So, cross Chicago off your list. Tony Romo is under contract through 2013 and has $14 million in bonuses in 2012 and 2013. I guess it's possible that he could be released, but would Dallas really consider Romo-to-Skelton an upgrade? Wouldn't they rather just draft a guy in the first round?

So, cross Dallas off your list.

Who does that leave us with? Kansas City, Oakland, and us.

Although, it's pretty hilarious to me that you think that either Skelton or Kolb would be considered a "top QB prospect" even after a productive 2013.

What in the world? You completely misread my statement. At no point did I say any of those teams would trade for Skelton. I am saying if they finished low enough that ALL of them would probably take a top rated QB if one was there when they draft.

So... take an eraser to all those "crossed off" marks on the list.

Fitzpatrick being owed a contract with low guarantees would not prevent Buffalo from drafting a QB.

If Dallas' season blows up then they would absolutely take a big name QB in the draft, no question.

The Jets and Bears both have love/hate relationships with their QBs and following a troublesome season would almost certainly look to move on.

And Houston has no commitment to Schuab beyond this season.

A 1st round drafted QB is no longer the financial burden/risk that it used to be. You can have a QB that you (stupidly) extended like Sanchez and still draft his replacement.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What in the world? You completely misread my statement. At no point did I say any of those teams would trade for Skelton. I am saying if they finished low enough that ALL of them would probably take a top rated QB if one was there when they draft.

So... take an eraser to all those "crossed off" marks on the list.

Fitzpatrick being owed a contract with low guarantees would not prevent Buffalo from drafting a QB.

If Dallas' season blows up then they would absolutely take a big name QB in the draft, no question.

The Jets and Bears both have love/hate relationships with their QBs and following a troublesome season would almost certainly look to move on.

And Houston has no commitment to Schuab beyond this season.

A 1st round drafted QB is no longer the financial burden/risk that it used to be. You can have a QB that you (stupidly) extended like Sanchez and still draft his replacement.

If my Aunt had gonads she'd be my uncle. I'm not sure what "ifs" have to do with the price of tea in China. If Mario Williams decapitates Tom Brady this year, the Pats would likely consider a top quarterback prospect. Maybe you should add them to your list.

This thread is about the relative trade values of the quarterbacks currently on the roster. If you want to walk in with a non-sequitur, at least clarify that you're trying to start a tangent.

Jets and Bears fans might have a love/hate relationship with their current starters, but there's little evidence that the front offices do.

Chicago has won a lot of games with Jay Cutler as their starter; if they're ready to let him go, I'll be happy to welcome him to Arizona.

If you have a highly-paid QB, there's no financial reason that you can't draft another one high, but there's a lot of football reason to do so. It's the reason that the Colts never drafted a legitimate backup while Peyton was there: there's an opportunity cost to drafting a quarterback who isn't going to play with a Top 10 pick.

If you're exercising a Top 10 pick and have an established quarterback that they can't financially get rid of because you've just signed him, then you're using a pick that could help the current quarterback, either on offense or defense, to replace a guy that you're stuck with. One season's crop of QB prospects is little different from the next; there's no reason to think that Tyler Wilson right now is a markedly superior or inferior prospect to the second or third quarterbacks taken in the last couple of drafts, or the next couple. :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05